[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Raising chickens for eggs/meat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 19

File: chicken.jpg (272KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
272KB, 1024x683px
So i'm wanting to build myself a chicken pen i'm gonna have to make it pretty secure allot of predators making a come back around here.

and i'm also planning on making it more or less pay for itself in the chickens i eat and the eggs plus selling some eggs.

i got a picture of the basic idea i got in my head right now but i plan for the coop to be on the outside so they won't try laying eggs under it which is a bitch to get out and i plan to make the outside yard pretty big so they don't get stressed out allot because i do plan to eat them i want them healthy etc.
>>
There are about 1,000,000 different chicken coop designs online. Every one basically works.

If you are planing small scale (less than 10 birds) you need something called a "chicken tractor". They are cheap as shit mobile coops that you move from place to place every few days. Their big advantage is that the birds never destroy all the greenery they have access to and you never have to clean out a coop.

Source-I have about 26 chickens right now and have been keeping them for a few years now.
>>
>>1120025
i'm going for about 20ish chickens total.
i also plan to use the chicken mud "all the shit and crap that get's built up in the yard coop to build up a area of my yard for a garden by making some really good top grade soil where i have this big batch of sand on my land.

which only have pine tree's growing on it right now allot of them are are good enough size that i'll likely be using them to work on the pen with to save some money.
>>
>>1120033
I don't recommend actually milling your own lumber. It is a bunch of work and unless your time is free and you want bragging rights, 2x4s are cheap enough. You are going to need realistically 2 coop like things. One small one for young ones and separating out specific birds, and one main one for all your hens and your favorite roosters. I have a small tractor that I use for my meat roosters that is basically an inclosed box on top of a large frame with wheels on one side and mesh for walls. I also have a main coop that is basically a small shed with some roosting posts. Srsly youtube is your friend here. Homesteaders fucking love chickens and love sharing all their info online for some reason. I have found more info on there than I ever would have expected.

How much do you actually know about keeping chickens? do you plan on monitizing this or just replacing all your store bought eggs with home grown?
>>
>>1120039
I've had chickens before but that was all shit my folks built or old ones etc this is gonna be one i built.

also good point on the pine wood i'm already collecting scrap wood anyway.

i'll get around to youtubeing some stuff.

and the eggs are gonna be a both type thing sell whatever we don't need.
>>
>>1119989
>make them pay for themselves.

Good luck.

Backyard chickens are by far a fucking money pit unless you're intelligent about it.

And don't even THINK about eating the chickens because that will dramatically increase the cost of the chicken.

The biggest expense by far is their food. Especially if you buy the packaged stuff at the farm stores. A group of backyard chicken owners in my city all go in together to buy a truckload of feed every year. One of our members ran the numbers and it cut her annual feed cost by 85%. Buy by the biggest volume you can safely store and secure to save you the most money.

Secondly. If you want eggs, then get an egg laying breed. They're bred to lay more frequently and regularly, experience less molting, and so-on. On the other hand, they cook for shit.

Meat birds, raised for their large breasts and high meat value are often more fickle layers, experiencing intermittent cycles and such.

When you're raising chickens there's a period where they just flat out cost you money for no return. Then they start laying. With each egg they lay, the cost per total eggs laid over total lifetime expenses will drop. If you slaughter the bird at any time when the meat is good, then the cost per egg and the cost per lb of meat are higher than if you'd just bought it from the store. Thousands of backyard chicken owners have all ran the math and gotten the same results.

Other than buying grain in bulk you can supplement their diet by growing a large garden and supplementing that way. You can also supplement protein by raising mealworms, or black soldier flies if they're in your area.
>>
>>1120106
Additionally, almost ALL of your kitchen scraps can be given to them. There are some exceptions though. No onions, garlic, peppers, or curry. Spicy and pungent foods should not be given since that flavor will be imparted on their eggs for a while. And save ALL of the egg shells from the eggs you get. Dry them completely in the oven, then crush them up and mix it in their feed to supplement calcium.

While the meat idea sounds attractive, you'll get more protein per bird, and your $/protein gram will be lowest if you just raise them for their eggs and switch to a more egg centric diet.

We have 30 chickens and breakfast and lunch are usually eggs for protein. As the eggs pile up well have quiches and casseroles for dinner. And considering all 30 cjickens have a name and unique personality that I know by sight... I could NEVER imagine eating one of them.
>>
>>1120106
>money pit
they live off of scraps mixed with feed and a good pen only coats $90 and a day and can easily hold about 10 chickens.
>>
>>1120109
i agree with the personality, all of my chickens look sound and behave completely different. plus i can tell which ones are smarter because of their problem solving ability
>>
Speaking from a family that tried, raising chickens is shit. As a small operation, distributors will jerk you around. One week they'll buy your eggs, the next week they'll say they enough and won't.
>>
>>1120106
we used cracked corn and a chicken feed then mixed it together in the past for the food.
which did fine honestly.
>>
>>1119989
Something I forgot to mention earlier, Splurge on a good incubator so you can hatch your own eggs. If you can grow it yourself you can save a ton of money. Vaccinate them yourself too because it is easy as fuck and bird plagues are no joke. A lot of other anons talked about egg laying breeds vs meat breeds, but see if you can track down some "American bress" birds. They spit out eggs like a factory and the roosters make great meat. They are somewhat expensive, seeing as they are a new bird, and you will want to get some from different breeders eventually to prevent inbreeding, but holy shit is their meat good and they lay fat eggs.

If you plan on making money with your birds, just hatched chicks go for a decent sum and running a good incubator is easy and basically free.

Do you live in an area where you can keep a rooster? Some cities ban them because they are the ones that make noise.
>>
>>1120039

>its not easy to mill your own lumber

Google "Alaskan mill".

Still not easy, but its definitely doable.
>>
>>1120526
I live in bumfuck Mississippi.
to be honest i'm mostly missing yard eggs and no one really seems to sell anymore so i figure fuck it.

dude noise complaints are not heard of here i could have a dying horse just going crazy on my land and the most someone would do is offer to help kill it and that would take like 3 hours.

far as birds go and the incubator i'll get around to wondering about it after i build the everything.

i gotta put allot of work into it cause bobcats and shit are making a comeback pretty hard.
>>
>>1120114
I just fucking imagined you applying SAT tests on the chicken.
>>
>>1120815
we must breed the best chicken the perfect chicken.
>>
>>1120109

I grew up on a farm. I can name an animal, pet it, play with it everyday, and give it away at its wedding and still butcher and eat it. I guess mentality goes a long way. When ever we got a cow, pig, or bought/hatched a rooster we knew that at some point it was gonna be dinner. My grandma always said "we took care of it so now it's time for it to take care of us"
>>
>>1119989
My chicken house holds up to 200 chickens and has solar panels on the roof. It's Lot of work good luck with that.
>>
>>1120987
thats one mentality.
>>
>>1120766
For security, layers is where its at. A fully fenced off area with mesh over the top to prevent hawks getting in around what will basically be a shed is the best way I have used. Works on the wild dogs in my area, and those fuckers will dig a hole under fences at night.

Also be sure you have a rooster. A good rooster will raise hell if it wakes up to something causing trouble, giving you a warning when something is trying to get to your birds. That way you can come out with a gun and get yourself a nice cougar pelt.
>>
>>1120534
It can be done, and if you literally have nothing but free time and all the gear on hand you can do it. But unless you are looking for bragging rights then home depot lumber is worth its cost in time.
>>
>>1119989
if you want fat chicken, you keep them closed in a cage, or a coop.
If you want them to be more meaty and healthy, you have to let them walk around, they always find something to peck on the ground.
Especially forest floors.
You might lose on or 2 to hawks or foxes, but the meat, and the eggs are far more worth it.
If you have a good fence around your property, you dont need a chicken coop
>>
>>1120946
>We must secure the existence of our chicken and a future for white chick
GAS THE TURKEYS POULTRY WAR NOW
>>
File: Pol chicken.gif (353KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
Pol chicken.gif
353KB, 267x200px
>>1121135
>>
>>1121074
>>1121124
I have to do a full enclosure had someone down the street try to do yard chickens and they were all dead within a month i think.

even in the past it was always a issue but we have local pets and shit getting eaten now.
>>
>>1121124
the ignorance. you need a coop for them to sleep in and for for them to lay eggs in. it needs to be fully enclosed so they can sleep in it without worrying about rats snakes etc
>>
>>1121386
yeah you always need a coop but you can let them wonder a yard if you clip there wings.
>>
>>1120025
Came here to post about this

Those mobile chicken coops are really a big thing and for good reason
>>
>>1120113
Hahahaha! That's exactly what my gf said before we got the damn things. Many hundreds of dollars later we do indeed have tasty free eggs. But it keeps her happy, which keeps me happy, if you know what I mean...
>>
>>1122774
We fed ours scraps and 13% all stock which was the cheapest feed at the store, the whole time we had them. We had about 40 chickens (old ones and roosters as well as laying hens because my mom wouldn't let us eat any) and they laid almost 2 dozen a day. They literally cost us 7 dollars a week after we built the pen which was built out of scrap lumber/ tin
>>
>>1120106
>mealworms
can't you feed those fuckers garbage and they still have the same protein content?
>>
>>1120106
That's an incredibly amusing idea

Could you get in touch with those people and post all the numbers in this thread?

Financial numbers and contacts for the supplier/source?

My association doesn't allow chicken but the farmers that sell my produce will love this idea and we can prob have a nice baking festival every month or so with all the eggs everyone can supply
>>
>>1122809
this post made me laugh more than it should

pls be nice to the chikums
>>
>>1122809
You're better off eating greens and getting far more proteins from those than eating chickens who ate garbage. Cuh
>>
>>1122809
Styrofoam is what they can turn into food.
>>
File: WP_20160427_13_37_43_Pro.jpg (917KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160427_13_37_43_Pro.jpg
917KB, 2592x1456px
>>1119989
Fuck paying for an egg incubator as anon recommended.

i built my own one from materials laying around and it cost me about 50 euros in total for materials. A similar machine would have costed me 100 euros in the shop.

Hatching your own eggs is fun as fuck too. You go from this
>>
File: WP_20160428_20_18_22_Pro.jpg (883KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160428_20_18_22_Pro.jpg
883KB, 2592x1456px
>>1123170
To this
>>
File: IMG-20160618-WA0002.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160618-WA0002.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>1123174
to this
>>
>>1119989
There's a now unoccupied dog kennel in my back garden, mam wants chickens, it's already separated by a fence and gate from the rest of the garden, would putting a shelf for chickens inside do?
>>
>>1123170
You can make an incubator using a cheap thermostat, an incandescent light bulb, a wire rack (bbq rack, cookie cooling rack, etc), and a Styrofoam cooler. Most people already have the materials, but lack the thermostat. Those cost about $10-$15usd at home improvement stores. Like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-Single-Pole-22-Amp-120-240-Volt-Wall-Mount-Mechanical-Non-programmable-Thermostat-in-White-T410A-W/202247917

The single light bulb is more than enough to warm up the space so long as there is enough insulation. Use blankets to add more insulation as needed.
>>
is it worth it to have two chickens in a suburban backyard, or too much work?
>>
>>1123300
They will poop everywhere. But otherwise a hour or two a week. 10-30 bucks a month.
>>
My expierance, live in a suburb estate, got 3 ex battery hens for free, they still layed everyday, when you first get them they look like shit. Built a cage big enough to walk in using chicken wire/mesh. Got a coop for £40 that housed all 3. Feed cost £10 a month, easily payed for themselves over a year due to the eggs we didn't have to buy.
They also make great pets once they get to know you and warm to you.

1 warning is they will fuck up your garden so keep them in the cage
>>
>>1123270
True, but I wanted one that wasn't flimsy and would last me a lifetime. So the incubator we build was heavy as fuck, but it will hopefully last a few years If you google 'pdf landleven broedmachine' I think you can find some (dutch) schematics
>>
>>1123444
30 bucks a month in exchange for annoying the hell out of his neighbors?
>>
>>1123533
The one I have is over 30 years old and is just a round Styrofoam container. About 50 chicks a year have been hatched from it in that time.
>>
>>1120109
>And considering all 30 chickens have a name and unique personality that I know by sight... I could NEVER imagine eating one of them.

Same here.

I cried for hours when my mom killed one of my favorite chickens.
>>
>>1119989
If you live out in the country, I wish you luck and delicious chicken products.

If you live in the city/suburbs, die screaming you faggot.

t. your neighbor
>>
>>1123658
>>1123534
Aren't they pretty quiet as long as you don't have any roosters?
>>
File: WP_20161218_18_36_59_Rich.jpg (3MB, 5344x3008px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161218_18_36_59_Rich.jpg
3MB, 5344x3008px
>>1123559
>wife wants rabbits
>I agree and joke about emergency food.

I hate it when my friends make the same joke now. I am more attached to them than she is. I insist on vet visits and not over feeding then
>>
>>1123720
Yep mostly quiet but it does depend on breed. My Australops and Isas are pretty chill, but i have a silky and she is a loud cunt somtimes, especially for such a relatively small bird
>>
File: freerangeeggs1.jpg (107KB, 1000x537px) Image search: [Google]
freerangeeggs1.jpg
107KB, 1000x537px
>>1119989
>and i'm also planning on making it more or less pay for itself in the chickens i eat and the eggs plus selling some eggs.

you wont get any proffit from it

if profits aren't the real issue, then I recomend using a cage design.

you can use 1"x2" planks, and some vermin mesh. You can use vermin mesh under the chickens, and put a bucket so you can catch all the chicken poop, and use it as fertilizer.

Try to make it as small as possible, so the chickens wont be able to move, and it will reduce the stress on them.
>>
>>1123720
Sans roosters, maybe not. All I can say is the yard birds next door crowed all hours of the day and night. And I mean all hours. Pelting them with acorns became my daily early afternoon hobby.

>fuck you, /an/
>>
File: chicken-cages-in-Kenya1.jpg (34KB, 409x310px) Image search: [Google]
chicken-cages-in-Kenya1.jpg
34KB, 409x310px
>>1123750
same guy here

you can buy some of these
>>
File: debeak_lg.jpg (53KB, 564x402px) Image search: [Google]
debeak_lg.jpg
53KB, 564x402px
>>1123752
same guy here

be sure to debeak your chickens

just in case

also, install some cold water sprinklers that will sprinkle water if the chicken noise gets too loud
>>
File: 22483-1022068786_2752249964.jpg (24KB, 450x333px) Image search: [Google]
22483-1022068786_2752249964.jpg
24KB, 450x333px
>>1123753
same guy here

if the summer is too hot for them, pluck their feathers

instead of spending some cents on ac, removing some feathers can be a cost effecitve way to cool your chickens

if they are still hot, hose them with cold water
>>
>>1123756
same guy here

you can also use your chickens as a way to elimintate stress

if you ever feel very stress out, torture/kill one of the chickens

you can put its carcass on a blender, and mix it with chicken food, so nothing goes wasted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuWinnoPhRc
>>
>>1123559
>>1123742
I never name or pet food animals and I strongly ask everyone else here to never name them or pet them. Humans anthropomorphize all things. The closer that thing is to being more like them the more they attach emotions to it. That always snowballs.

>>1123750
My chickens are free range and always pay for all their feed and expenses simply by selling the eggs I don't eat. They go through the orchard and blackberry rows. They keep the Japanese beetles off the berries and cicadae off the trees. The berries and apples are amazing.
>>
File: 1455227552168.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1455227552168.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>1123177
to this
>>
File: 1483734793544.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1483734793544.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>1123759
sounds super stressful desu
>>
>PAYING for materials to build a pen
kek just scope around construction sites they usually chuck wire fencing and timber they don't need on the side of the road

>>1121138
where did you find such a relevant gif?
>>
File: ChickenTractor.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ChickenTractor.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
I don't want to make a new thread for it but i felt this was relevant enough. Would a chicken tractor work for rabbits?

And tips on raising rabbits for meat and fur would be great too.
>>
>>1119989
I have one but had a lot of problems with wild animals in the last years..one chicken was so scared it started sleeping on a tree Kek
>>
>>1125912
don't rabbits dig?
>>
File: rekt.jpg (96KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
rekt.jpg
96KB, 600x400px
>>1127930
Hell yeah. It will need a floor of some sort.
>>
>>1119989
Kinda hard to make chickens pay for themselves to the point you're actually making any kind of profit out of meat and eggs. There's huge factory and free range holders out there which just do that- make money
But, the upside is that they're happy birds, you get a supply of organic meat & eggs.

My sis is probably better than I am at giving you a low down on the old chook and how to raise them, (I do sheep and beef cattle) and has had ornamental bantams for shit, guess the last 15 years or so. She has dozens of them just doing the whole free range thing, then shuts them up at night in the coops to keep Mr Fox from murdering them, though during the day birds of prey like eagles and some of the larger hawks will get them from time to time, dogs and cats will also bother them badly. They do have a lot of room to run around though, so they just need kitchen scraps and the odd bit of feed during winter and autumn, the rest they get themselves out of the lawns, plants and paddock.
With the chicks, they do need their own little coop which is warm, dry and will keep them protected. Plus you can throw an incubator in there as well.

In terms of meat and eggs, not great! They're only tiny little buggers to begin with, but she sells them as pets to various places, takes them to shows and depending on how 'attractive' they are can actually command a (comparatively) large amount of money- lot of people really like chickens to raise, breed and have as pets. Other breeds also have their fanciers, (I think thats a thing) so it might be an angle to approach them from which isn't necessarily about their basic egg and meat output
>>
File: 1475175897718.png (1MB, 919x959px) Image search: [Google]
1475175897718.png
1MB, 919x959px
>>1119989
Poultry Science major here, ask me anything.
>>
>>1120109
You shouldn't feed chickens eggshell, it gives them a taste for their own eggs.

There are other ways of getting them calcium.
>>
>>1128142
Not it does not.
>>
>>1128117
Will I ever find true love?
>>
>>1128172
Probably not.

>>1128142
Bullshit.
But also you can feed them broken up oyster shell and get even better results.
>>
>>1128117
Why did you decide to major in Poultry Science?
>>
>>1127912
In the summer all our chickens sleep on trees.
>>
>>1128117
Is it true that I can't fuck a chicken without injuring it?

What is your opnion on raising (or at least luring and harboring) pigeons for their eggs?
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
>>1128117
TFW some one actually saved my cucken pics
>>
>>1128424
>>
File: 1466230512564.jpg (16KB, 225x287px) Image search: [Google]
1466230512564.jpg
16KB, 225x287px
>>1128358
I hated construction science and Poultry Science has a 100% employment rate out of my university.

>>1128417
Probably not worth the feed.
Trapping and eating pigeons is fine but their eggs are small and bad feed ratio compared to what you get.
>>
>>1128742
What about just luring or harboring them? I alrady have pigeons that seem to like roosting on my balcony, and I don't feed them. I think they just like to chill there because I don't use my balcony and there's a lot of junk on it for them to hide under and play on.

I was thinking that if I one day own property, it'd be worth it to build a little coop and just let pigeons roost in it. Partly just to watch them because I am not so angry when I look at pigeons, but also maybe I could steal their eggs or shoot one to eat it and then die of lead poisoning once in a while or smth idk nigga im poor
>>
Depending in how you set up OP and where you live, I would suggest getting a Rooster after the hens mature a bit. They really help keep the hens in line, protect them and care for them. I swear I dont know if they even eat, they are always finding and giving food to the hens. A properly socialized rooster will tolerate people and will even let you pick them up, they also bring huge style points and the ability to hatch your own chicks.
Also get a couple different egg laying breeds from different breeders to make up your flock. It helps with genetic diversity buffering agaisnt disease or if you want to hatch, different egg sizes, flavors, colors ect are nice. This one aquaitence lucked out on an obscure breed for a couple chickens that turned out to lay double yokers pretty often.
>>
>>1119989
I've tried this.

It's too much god damn work/annoying chickens.

I would rather be shot in the dick then ever raise chickens again. Buying eggs and chicken from the store and keep your sanity.
>>
>>1128117

Dear Poultry Science major:

Never mind about chickens, I always wanted to raise pheasants or partridges. Is there an equivalent low-budget technique similar to chicken tractors (or could I just use one of those)?
>>
File: NOM.jpg (71KB, 810x768px) Image search: [Google]
NOM.jpg
71KB, 810x768px
>>1128948
I've raised chickens for over a decade after the late wife built this coop. (I raised the side panels with my truck but otherwise it's all her work.)

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/DCINSC/library/condo%20cabin%20coop?sort=3&page=1

No problems, many eggs, no bugs in the yard and chickens kill small mice and rats too. I despise store bought eggs. Semi-free range eggs are delicious and I give some to friends who bake me cakes in return.
>>
>>1128742
I'm grabbing my assosiate of science in agriculture and am planning on going for a bachelor's at a big ag school (A&M).

Poultry Science is a route I could take and I think chickens are pretty dope; what do you do for a living, buddy?
>>
>>1119989
Been raising both for years now. Protip: keep the layers separate from the meat birds if you're getting both.

>>1120025 Is right, there are a ton and the mobile tractor is best for the meat ones I've found. They're lazy (eventually they won't even try to go up a ramp, or even walk farther than food due to their rapid weight gain), they eat everything and shit a lot so you can move it around and they can shit somewhere else for a while without totally shitting up your layer's coop.

Your layers are fine to eat as well when they're through laying, they just won't be as big and take a bit longer to cook to be more tender, still good though. Good luck op they're easy to raise, eat everything you give them (moreso than pigs!) and are pretty self sufficient.

Source - I have 22 layers (had 30, but shit happens and 4 are being cycled out shortly with another done laying but keeping her because she's broody, so I'm gonna let her nest a dozen or so for new) and 12 meat right now (2 more weeks I'll process them and get 12 more).
>>
>>1129014
Many feels anon.

Same here, no ticks on the dogs in years. We give them as gifts (frozen) to those who love knowing where it came from, how it was raised, what it ate, etc. They're getting a humanely raised, free-range, antibiotic/hormone free, as natural a life cycle as it can have and still be processed, which I do with no shadiness or preservatives, bird for their family. Feels good.
>>
>>1128948
>Buying eggs and chicken from the store and keep your sanity.

Eggs from the store are shit. No flavor.
Chickens from the store are shit. Enjoy no flavor, hormones, preservatives, antibiotics, and supporting a for-profit corp that probably cages them for life. This is /diy/ you're in the wrong place.
>>
>>1129102
>for-profit corp
People should give you food for free.
>>
>>1129327
found the /pol/ fag
>>
>>1128923
>What about just luring or harboring them? I alrady have pigeons that seem to like roosting on my balcony, and I don't feed them. I think they just like to chill there because I don't use my balcony and there's a lot of junk on it for them to hide under and play on.
>I was thinking that if I one day own property, it'd be worth it to build a little coop and just let pigeons roost in it. Partly just to watch them because I am not so angry when I look at pigeons, but also maybe I could steal their eggs or shoot one to eat it and then die of lead poisoning once in a while or smth idk nigga im poor
Seems like a fun hobby.

>>1129084
>I'm grabbing my assosiate of science in agriculture and am planning on going for a bachelor's at a big ag school (A&M).
Currently at A&M actually, I can't decide between live production and processing though.

I've got 10 years to decide though, A&M is a Senior Military College and I've got an Army contract with their Corps of Cadets.
>>
>>1128999
I'm actually not super well-read on game-bird physiology (though I should be) but I don't see why a chicken tractor wouldn't work on them.

They may be more prone to stress when in that situation and put out shittier/less eggs, but I'm just postulating.
>>
>>1129102
>Eggs from the store are shit. No flavor.
There should be no noticeable flavor difference unless you're feeding them a ton of omega 3s, then enjoy your fish-eggs.

>Chickens from the store are shit.
What?
>Enjoy no flavor,
No difference.
>hormones,
Hormones aren't used in poultry production.
>antibiotics,
The most they get is an extremely low level dose of antibiotics through feed, which is out of their body by the time it hits your table.
>and supporting a for-profit corp that probably cages them for life.
Caged chickens actually rate at lower stress levels than free range.
>>
>>1130387
This nigga knows fuck all. Ignore him. Chicken keeper here.
>>
>>1128117
It is normal that larger chicken farms create a massive fly problem for their environment?
>>
>>1130412
Our neighbour keeps chickens.
No flies but plenty of rats and mice eating the grain or whatever she puts down. Keeps the cats busy. Also attracts birds that can fly who then shit all over the place it's a fucking disaster area.
But no notable increase in flies.
>>
>>1130399
>This nigga knows fuck all. Ignore him. Chicken keeper here.
There are no hormones used in Poultry Production you absolute cuckhold.

Anti-biotics are mostly done through low-dosage in feeds in order to increase yield and cage chickens have been proven to be less stressed in multiple studies.

If you're tasting something different in your free range eggs than store bought eggs it's most likely a difference in Omega-3 levels; that or they're eating cottonseed or something similar.
>>
>>1130412
Only if they're still using the older models in which all waste is drained into huge lagoons.
>>
>>1125610
>>1121138

>It was the day before Valentine's day, -smokes cigarette slowly-, and I remember it well. A reference was made linking National Socialism, and Eugenics, to poultry, -blows smoke slowly-.
>I knew had a /gif/ which would express these themes. I searched in my /pol/ folder under the sub section humor, sub section animals. I found my Pol_chicken.gif
>When I posted it, I felt vindicated. Vindicated for having several hundred reaction images and gif files saved in my folders -smokes slowly-.
>I've spent more hours organizing my files than talking to my mother this year... but everyone saw my gif. It was the right gif. At the right time.
>>
>>1130433
>>1130514
Ok, thanks. I was asking, because I saw a while ago a paper comparing various fly poisons for chicken farm use and the paper used the number of complaints received per month as a measure of effectiveness (among the others).
I can't find it anymore, but I think the paper was from the eighties or nineties.
>>
>>1119989
coop doesnt have to be on outside, the area under the coop is good for them to have some shade and what not they wont lay eggs under there

100% of the time they will lay in the crates inside the coop bro
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.