[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

creating realistic looking landscape

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Landscape & Tiles.jpg (180KB, 1915x914px) Image search: [Google]
Landscape & Tiles.jpg
180KB, 1915x914px
Hello /diy/, I'm coming from /3/ and I'm looking for advice.

For an uni project which I described here >>>/3/546388
I created a sort of Mars looking landscape using Worldmachine and Rhino. Pic related. The total landscape is about 150x150 cm, and I divided it into 9 parts of 50x50 each, so I don't have to carry around a huge model.
I also want the robot to print the final result of the project directly onto the middle part of the model, so by splitting it up, I can build the middle part a couple of times and replace it if something goes wrong.

Anyway, I'm looking for tips or advice or any pointers on how I could actually build this landscape to look as realistic as possible.
Coming from an architecture background, my usual way of recreating landscape would be to just slice up the model into layers of around 1-3mm height and then use a lasercutter to cut the shape. This creates a terraced, uniform look which is okay for architectural models, but does not look very natural.
I have looked at a couple of videos from people building landscapes for model trains, but I could not find one that recreated actual terrain, it was always sort of random.

I dont have any real budget constraints, so I'm also looking into having the pieces cnc milled, but if I could spend less, I would prefer that. I have about 2 weeks to finish this thing.

Thanks for your help!
>>
>>1119565
>architectural model
>realistic

why
>>
find a monument shop (gravestones) that can cnc it for realism
>>
File: maxresdefault (9).jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (9).jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
>cnc mill it out of styrofoam
>cover it with sand/earth/colored wood dust until it looks good

Just google how the train autists make their sceneries
>>
BTW, when you say real terrain, do you mean the terrain out of a real location?

You can use something like QGIS to make a point cloud layer out of a real location digital elevation model, import it in Blender with the bgis plugin, export the points to .dxf and use the patch command in Rhino to make a surface out of the points. Then you use the rhino model to do the CNC milling.
>>
>>1119569
It's not really architecture so it would be cool to have a realistic landscape to contrast the white material

>>1119574
>>1119584
This looks most promising so far. Thanks

>>1119585
I already got the mesh, made it in world machine. Idk what kind of files cnc mills need put I guess I can produce them from the mesh I have

I have found that real geodata isn't accurate enough most of the time, at least not in europe
>>
>>1119584

Or the warhammer faggots.
>>
>>1119565
Am I the only one that sees the rabbit?
>>
>>1120034
damn you, now I see it too

guess I'll have to make a new landscape
>>
>>1119565
use your usual method of laser-cut layerings, but expand each layer outward by 1-2 mm, and cut from polystyrene foam.

Take a spray-bottle of say 80/20 water and acetone, and give the assembled model a fine misting to smooth out the terracing. hit it with a hair dryer to evaporate off remaining acetone when ready to stop.

The spraying will cause cratering, which might not be a bad thing if you're going for a Mars them... but if you don't want to cover up craters with the next step, you could just put your oversize model in an inflated black trash-bag under a lamp with an open container of acetone inside. acetone vapor bathe it like an abs 3d print

finally, go to the hardware store and get yourself a can of orange peel spray-texturing to give it some scattered ground cover. and fill in the micro-cratering caused by voids in the foam.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.