[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have no idea if there even is a proper board for this, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: s-l1000.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
I have no idea if there even is a proper board for this, but would anyone know how I could get hard, strong, nearly pure gold that's minimally doped with some other element. Like 95%+ pure gold, but just enough of something else that it won't be malleable. Brittle would even be okay, though not best. Maybe monocrystalline gold??
>>
http://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&LN=EN&site=ktn&NM=230

Pawn shops? Jewelers?

You could literally make it yourself from pure gold, copper, and silver.

https://youtu.be/isM5__Ej9OU

In less than two minutes this guy uses a propane force and ashtray quality crucible to make alloy for his jewelry.
>>
>>1119411
>You could literally make it yourself from pure gold, copper, and silver.
That doesn't sound very firm. Also every alloy of these I've seen doesn't look like gold.
>>
>>1119415
Practically all gold jewelry contains at least 1/3 of something else than gold. Are you saying gold jewelry does not look like gold?
>>
>>1119417
That's far too impure.

>Are you saying gold jewelry does not look like gold?
Yes. It really doesn't. Real gold looks like gold. Gold jewelry looks like what it is: gold alloy.
>>
>>1119439
It should have been 1/4, but whatever.
Maybe you should explain what you're trying to achieve. It is pretty typical that when someone comes here with requirements like yours, they don't really need what they think they need to achieve what they actually want.
The usual solution to "strong, but looks like gold" problem is gold plating on something strong.
>>
>>1119443
I want jewelry that is as pure gold as absolutely possible, without the weakness of gold. It MUST be at least in the mid 90s% pure.

>gold plating
Unacceptable.
>>
>>1119444

With my very limited knowledge of metals and such, it'd have to be an additive that forms a structural lattice filled with gold at the molecular level.

No idea how to achieve that but it'd be valuable as fuck.
>>
>>1119444
>I want jewelry that is as pure gold as absolutely possible
Checked, but why? is there a purpose you have in mind?

>without the weakness of gold
As in softness and low strength? What specifically is the problem with pure gold, and what degree of weakness mitigation do you need?

> Unacceptable
Why?

For something completely different, you could sinter a ring shape with titanium nitride, then infiltrate it with molten gold. If you're thinking monocrystalline gold, money can't be that big a concern, right?
>>
>>1119407
Work the gold, OP. Hit it with a hammer or some such. Work hardening it is the easiest way to get what you're after, and should work with any purity. That being said, is the final form something that will allow you to do this?
>>
>>1119459
I just do. The reason is not important.

>What specifically is the problem with pure gold, and what degree of weakness mitigation do you need?
Something that can take a beating with a hammer. I'm looking for strength at least on par with Iron, preferably even stronger. Something that could last forever without denting or bending.

>Why?
It just is.

>money can't be that big a concern, right?
It isn't and I do lean in this direction. The problem is, the technology is too primitive right now.

>>1119465
The final form would be jewelry such as a ring, earrings or similar. I'm not sure "damasked gold" is strong enough for my purposes.
>>
>>1119407

So you are making a magic ring, you're from /x/, and it needs to be mostly pure.

OK.

Sorry, the sad answer is you can have hardness or purity with gold but not both.

Thats the answer dude, sorry. Alloy for hardness, purity for....purity.

If it makes you feel better just call the smithsonian and inquire about their gold jewelry from the ancient civ. department and ask if they know the composition.

I'm sure someone does, you can mirror that, whatever it turns out to be, OK?
>>
File: 10-indian-au-obverse.jpg (69KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
10-indian-au-obverse.jpg
69KB, 500x500px
>>1119444
>I want jewelry that is as pure gold as absolutely possible, without the weakness of gold. It MUST be at least in the mid 90s% pure.
Gold coins made before 1933 were 90% gold and 10% copper for wear-resistance...
>>
>>1119516
American Gold Eagles may contain 1ozt of gold, but the coin is not pure (~92% gold, ~3% silver, and ~5% copper) and weighs more than 1ozt.
>>
File: angerydoggo.jpg (46KB, 493x585px) Image search: [Google]
angerydoggo.jpg
46KB, 493x585px
>>1119467
>I just do. The reason is not important.
Looks like we got a witch on our hands boys.

GET HIM
>>
File: 2016-gold-buffalo-josh.jpg (80KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
2016-gold-buffalo-josh.jpg
80KB, 500x500px
>>1119516
>>1119518
American Gold Buffalos are pure 99.99% gold.

My point is that if you add a metal to gold it's never going to look like a truely pure gold product - but it could still look close enough to the untrained eye like the American Gold Eagle.

However, the longer you want the piece to last the more of another metal (usually copper) you will need to add. The pre-33 coin looks dull in comparison to the Eagle or Buffalo but look at how much detail of the coin remains, and it's over 100 years old.
>>
>>1119444
can't be done M8.

That's why gold jewelry normally starts at 10k and ends at 22k. 10k gives the highest durability for still being carataged as gold. Above 22k it's going to wear like crazy. 24k (pure) gold is almost never used in jewelry because it's simply too soft.
>>
>>1119407
Gold+Titanium is very strong, even as 99/1 alloy.
>>
>>1119467
fuck off, state your reason or you'll keep getting answers you don't like.

why the fuck does it need to be pure?
>>
>>1119444

What sort of nonsense is this

pure gold is soft, very soft, so soft you can shape it with your fucking hands

the only way to make it harder is add other elements

the 90% pure super stong gold of your imagination doesn't exist
>>
>>1119467
>the reason is unimportant. Answer the damn question without questioning me. Curse this primitive technology

Grade-A cunt detected. Good luck getting gold to selectively lose its gold-like properties, dickwad.
>>
Gold is an FCC metal, meaning, it has a face centered cubic lattice, this means that you can plastically deform gold under a low applied stress because as the dislocations glide, they do not face a strong resisting force. This is also why most gold jewelry is actually a gold alloy (gold mixed with silver and copper).

>TL;DR: you fail at metallurgy as hard as you will in theurgy.
>>
>>1119516
That purity's actually a little low.

>>1119607
What Play-doh is this?

>>1119522
Stay back. I know pyrokinesis.

>>1119583
I wonder how well it would alloy. Titanium is definitely something to consider.

>>1119589
>>1119613
Because you have a witch on your hands. Trying to forge the One Ring.

>>1119615
How did you prove me "wrong" by stating what I already know?

>you fail at metallurgy as hard as you will in theurgy.
>>
>>1119467
If you aren't going to try any of this, why bother posting? You got several decent replies (not /b/ tier anyway). Try something, report back for more help if that doesn't work, or fuck off.
>>
>>1119649
It's insufficient for my purposes. Honestly, I think the solution is the same one I always thought: a monocrystalline gold lattice.
>>
>>1119653
You know, you really are a useless. What are you trying to make? A dido that looks like real solid gold, but won't bend in your asscrack? The ring to rule them all?
>>
>>1119670
Haven't decided yet. I'm basically looking for a formula/technique by which very nearly pure gold can be made into various implements, but withstand wear.
>>
>>1119653
look. making this ring is going to take a fuckhuge volcano and much of your own power.
>>
>>1119675
a batman gauntlet?
>>
>>1119675
Why use such an expensive element for making implements when steel, nickel, zinc, and alluiminum allows makes gold functionally obsolete when it comes to mechanical jobs?
>>
>>1119675
If you want a strong pure precious metal, osmium and iridium would work. Even better if alloyed together. Why does it have to be gold specifically?
>>
>>1119700
>>1119705
It's for ornamental purposes. I'm not looking to make shovels and hammers.
>>
>>1119719
>It's for ornamental purposes
Then why does it need to be "...strength at least on par with iron"? Ornaments usually stay in one place on display, or in a cushioned box stored away.

Further, why does it have to be 95+% pure? If it's an ornament it doesn't need to adhere to any industrial standards, nor will it be exposed to any industrial chemicals or environments.

What you want and what you want it for makes no sense.
>>
>>1119742
Because pure gold is weak as shit, but noticeably mixed gold doesn't look like gold. Why is this hard to grasp?

I fucking hate status quo zombies.
>>
>>1119745
What is gold plating
>>
>>1119745
>status quo zombies
it's not that everyone else is a zombie, it's that you're a fucking retard

Do you genuinely think that you're the first person to ever want gold that looks like gold, is gold, except has much better properties? You don't even have some ultra-specific niche engineering need, just stupid ornaments and your autism about alloys and durability
>>
>>1119746
What is literacy?

>>1119754
No, it's that you're a fucking zombie.
>Everything as is is good enough! OMG why do you want something else!? You're literally a whinier version of Hitler! You should be executed for having an idea outside of what is already available
You're literally the definition of status quo zombie.
>>
Supposedly you can pull Czochralski gold and silver but I was unable to find any documentation of this. And I don't think crystalline gold is particularly strong either.

But anyway alloy your gold with bait and it will be pretty strong
>>
File: GoldColorChart.png (701KB, 1126x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GoldColorChart.png
701KB, 1126x1000px
>>1119759
The issue is that this is not new metallurgical ground and, for unspecified reasons, the tried and true workarounds for the limitations of gold are not acceptable. You're effectively asking for a square circle while disallowing taxicab geometry.

And to put you off the track of monocrystalline gold, monocrystalline metals are used for high-temperature creep resistance, not strength, and any hammering or strong impact would make it polycrystalline anyway. A gold-based metallic glass would work better, but that's not allowed because alloys.
>>
>>1119444
>It MUST be at least in the mid 90s% pure.

I will, first off, point out that I did read the rest of the thread and you are, indeed, the retard here.

Second, to the actual point...you are fucked. There are no known alloys of gold that maintain >95% purity while reducing the softness of gold to acceptable levels. You're going to have to give up, re-think what you want to do with this, or become exceptionally wealthy by solving a problem that has plagued jewelers for, quite literally, millennia.
>>
>>1119800
Dubs have spoken.
>>
>>1119407
> 95%+ pure

you mean 23 Kt. you can buy it from any jewleller's supplier. I'm assuming you're in the US, try Rio Grande.

however realistically speaking, for any working process, you want to use 22Kt, with the alloying for hardness, probably a 22kt red.
>>
>>1119675
>Haven't decided yet. I'm basically looking for a formula/technique by which very nearly pure gold can be made into various implements, but withstand wear.

Not going to fucking happen kid. There's a reason that alloys exist. Mechanical hardening only goes so far.

And strength on par with iron? You're not talking gold. No alloy of gold reaches that level of strength. Look up Vickers hardness testing or Knoop hardness testing. The strongest alloys of gold are in the 4 to 6 karat range, and they are only 1/5th to 1/4th the strength of raw, unalloyed and untreated iron.

What you want breaks the laws of physics.
>>
>>1119825
There was a recent discovery of a gold-titanium alloy which was very hard, harder than the common steels. It contained only about 60% of gold, so it won't make OP happy.
>>
>>1119407
Rio Grande
>>
Alguien habla espaƱol
>>
>>1119833
One Iron Man suit to rule them all?
>>
>>1119833
I know the one you're talking about. Rice University came up with it for implanted medical devices. It's a 70/30 titanium to gold mix. As for appearance, it looks like aluminum.
>>
>>1119643
>I wonder how well it would alloy. Titanium is definitely something to consider.
It works pretty good actually

I do a shit ton of silver work and this girl's dad asked me to make a replacement gold ring for him to replace a lost wedding band. He wanted a high content gold alloy but wanted to keep it strong as possible. After some digging I came across the titanium gold alloy.

The hardest part was doing the actual alloying because of Titanium's pretty high melting temperature, a full 1,100f higher than gold's.

I used oxy-acetylene, just a cunt hair shy of a neutral flame on the carburizing side.

I etched my source titanium and transfered it right from the acid etch into the carbon rich flame and into the crucible. The titanium didn't completely melt into a shiny liquid. I suspect the flame was just a bit too cold to fully melt it.

regardless, keeping the flame on the titanium bead I added the 24k grain which melted quite quickly. A small tungsten rod was used to stir the material while the tip. I kept the alloy hot for a little bit and stirred it up more than was probably needed.

I haven't worked with a lot of gold alloys. Only 10k and 18k for a necklace and earings respectively.

The result I got was deffinitely an alloy and it worked somewhere between the 10f and 18k stuff I've used before. According to the source reference I used to get information on the alloy it results in a gold alloy having similar physical characteristics of a 14k alloy which my experience agrees with.

The part that impressed me the most was that the finished material is visually indistinguishable from pure gold on account of it being 99% pure.

Many fine jewelers that have the capabilities to work with it like it for it's hardness and the ability to sell it as 24k gold. You don't need to lower the mark until the alloy is 95.8% gold
>>
>>1119699

What's with these shit posters lately?

batman gauntlets
grappling hook
the fucking cardboard / hot glue thread

I know I'm missing a few but holy shit. At least we get some good jokes for a few months
>>
>>1119882
>I know I'm missing a few but holy shit

underwater armor is my favorite
I wanted to tell him to put on a ~200 lb suit and jump in the deep end
I ended up not even opening the thread

I'm sure his defenders will be all over me.
I - don't - care
>>
>>1119467
Niga fuck off. We don't care that you are making a gold urethral sounding wand
>>
>>1119928

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

I just don't want to get fucking eaten and can't afford to spend 10K on a suit!
>>
>>1119407
If you're looking for pure gold you can't easily get better than buying bullion in grams online. Its 99.9%, and by far the cheapest form of it. We use it in lab when we need a source of pure gold for coatings
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>buy an ounce
>cast it into a disk the size of a half dollar coin
>lightly hammer it on an anvil or hard surface while rolling it
>once the size you want drill out center to fit finger

I've done this with silver quarters and in theory hammering it should make it hard enough to use as jewelry
>>
>>1121588
Pure gold doesnt work harden enough to be considered even remotely durable. Even a full hardened 99.9% gold ring can be deformed by squeezing with your fingers.
>>
>>1121622

This.

You can draw an ounce of gold unto miles of wire.

If that doesn't work harden it nothing will.
>>
>>1121571
don't
go
in
the
water
>>
>>1121571
>I just don't want to get fucking eaten and can't afford to spend 10K on a suit!

>>1119992
>>
>>1121924

Go into the water
Live there
Die there
>>
>>1121925
I actually kinda like that one.
>>
>>1121990
In spite of all the nay-sayers in the thread, it would work exactly as he intends.
The problem is a cheap way to get the 80,000 lbs of anchor.
>>
>>1121924

But living on a boat sounds pretty nice.

Peace and quiet, dirt cheap travel, fresh fish, sun, exercise, maybe a chance to meet friends even.

I'm planning on basically camping the rest of my life but if I can buy land next to the river then I'll be able to take it a step further with a project boat.

I need a damn hobby to keep my mind off the shit in my life if I ever get a job again.
>>
>>1119407
You can't afford it so stop wasting everyone's time.
>>
Plate a <90% purity gold ring with >95% gold until 90% purity is attained.
>>
>>1121571
no one will listne to how autistic he is. for all the non divers most life is above 40 feet and lobsters and shit are near rec limit at 100 - 120 feet you would not need this for anything except for a shark tank. sharks are usually just as scared of you as you are of them. the people they attack panic and flail and show weakness well that is how to become fish food. also think about this if there is something you could hunt they could too so they have easier prey
>>
>>1124121

DUDE

Most shark attacks are in less than 10 feet of water.

And sharks are like most animals, they learn if they can eat it BY BITING IT

Chill the fuck out.

I just would very much like to keep my limbs and flesh.
>>
>>1124187
>Most shark attacks are in less than 10 feet of water.

because scuba divers are totally within 10 feet. it goes back to what i said before panic is what attracts them.

im getting my NAUI Master diver soon. sharks are not a problem its idiots like you.

you never answered my question are you certified? can you even swim?
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.