[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Step drill thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: image_11761.jpg (133KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_11761.jpg
133KB, 1200x1200px
What is a step drill bit's advantage over a regular drill bit?
>>
>>1118685

They're great for drilling in plastic without cracking it.
A complete set of bits for holes in plastic or sheet metal in one or two bits
Great for center bits
>>
>>1118685
They're very easy to use and they make very clean and straight holes.
I use them almost every day on aluminum enclosures.
Also very cheap.
>>
>>1118686
Ok, thanks.
Dumb question but what is a center bit?
>>
>>1118685
When drilling metal, youll fuck your regular twist drills if you dont slowly step from bit to bit to bit.

Its fast, and it doesnt destroy your proper twist drills.
>>
File: BTI_831_[TIF]-100.jpg (32KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
BTI_831_[TIF]-100.jpg
32KB, 360x360px
They're available with fairly large diameters for standard drill chucks found in cordless tools. If you've fucked up by picking the wrong size of pic related, they're pretty much the only option without going through too much trouble
>>
File: center.jpg (54KB, 432x347px) Image search: [Google]
center.jpg
54KB, 432x347px
>>1118694
a short stubby drill that wont dance around where you need it
>>
>>1118710
Thanks
>>
>>1118685
Two main advantages: See that flat cut on the sides, which forms part of the cutting angle? That prevents the bit from pulling through and tearing, which is important for sheet metal but less effective for thicker steel. The multiple steps allow a single bit to accommodate many sizes of hole, avoiding the need to get a large set of bits for drilling sheet metal.
>>
>>1118710
Amazingly useful when machining
>>
>>1118748
Not for actual holes. Center drills should only be used for making the spot for a turning center on a lathe. If you need a spot for a proper hole, you should use an actual spot drill.
>>
>>1118751
Of course, but for quick holes to hold the live center for the tail stock, it's great.
>>
>>1118751
>>1118758

The centering bits I have are actually spot bits but since I'm not a real machinist or CNC operator and just a backyard /diy/er using them to mark the spot for the center of the hole I want to make I call them center bits.

I don't actually own or need real center bits.
>>
>>1118762
Oh just center punches then?
>>
>>1118685
1 bit, many sizes, no changing bits or drills
Clean nearly perfect holes
Quick work without effort
They dont catch nearly as much as twist bits

Unless im working with thick metal theyre my go to, with an automatic center punch youre flying. Big holes in thin metal is all theyre really good for.

I wish i discovered them at 17 instead of 23.
>>
>>1118685
That's the drill master set from harbor freight. I love that kit!

I do a lot of work on metal door frames. They drill a large hole quickly and the debris they make is large enough to clean up easily.
>>
>>1118916
>drill master set from harbor freight

anyone know if there's a quality difference with the ebay ones ( ~approx half the price, but 2wk+ shipping)
>>
>>1118917
Im guessing they are the same exact ones

I have been looking at the generic chinese stuff on ebay, and I see the same exact stuff being rebadged and sold in hardware stores.
They just put a store brand name on it.

I literally saw a dremel metal disc cutting set on ebay and said to myself how dumb it was. I then saw it at menards and recognized it. I did some snooping and started seeing other stuff too. Its not like there are a ton of factories making the same shit
>>
>>1118919
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HSS-Saw-Blade-Rotary-Tool-Circular-For-Dremel-Metal-Rotary-Cutter-Power-Tool-Set-/381859654531?hash=item58e89beb83

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/rotary-tool-sets-accessories/high-speed-steel-saw-blade-kit-6-pc/p-1444421202730-c-10099.htm

Ive seen a handful of other ones, like drill bit sets and things of that nature.
>>
>>1118923
Same Chinese factory makes FixIt Tools, KRAFT Tools, BestTools and the unbranded cheap ones at Clas Ohlson, BilTema and a lot of others. Notice they are identical except the colours. Each chain gets monopoly on a color combination, thus "different".
>>
are you gonna pierce the heavens
>>
>>1118685
Great for thin stock like sheet metal. I always center punch and make a small hole first to prevent wandering.
>>
>>1118751
>Center drills should only be used for making the spot for a turning center on a lathe. If you need a spot for a proper hole, you should use an actual spot drill.

My toolmaker machinistbros use them all the time in hand drills and any other job to start holes. So do I and they work very well. Handy for countersinking too.

I grab all I can get in any size at auctions.
>>
>>1118765
Center bits don't "walk" like fluted twist drills. That makes them great for starting holes. I use them all the time and keep them with my twist drills for use on everything from my milling machine to hand drills. Of course I use them in my lathe but it's standard practice in many if not most machine shops to start all holes with them.
>>
>>1119756
What?
>>
>>1119756
nice one
>>
>>1118685
>What is a step drill bit's advantage over a regular drill bit?
>1 bit for 8 different sizes of holes
Gee, I fucking wonder....
>>
time
>>
>>1118923
>>1118919
I had one of those metal blades. Those fuckers are dangerous as hell. You must use them on the variable speed Dremels and you must use them at far far lower speeds than you would ever think of using them. When and usually if they snag they will cut the absolute fuck out of anything and everything they touch. They are the only tool for the Dremel that I've used where it doesn't just bounce off things. Trust me, it wants to snag your workpiece and go nuts. Mine was Dremel brand too, bought at ACE. Chainsaws are less dangerous than that shit.

I really don't see the need for them since the thin emery discs exist and are far easier to use and far less dangerous.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.