[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tool repair thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 20170120_102527.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170120_102527.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Hi /diy/ i got handed down these calipers. I cleaned them up the best i could and they seem to work fine but whenever i close them all the way the needle lines up at .027"

I can spin the dial so zero meets the needle but is there a way to move the needle so it lands at 12 o'clock? Seems like the top knob locks the caliper at the reading and the bottom one locks the dial in place
>>
Not without taking them apart normally. It's something that just happens to them over time.
>>
>>1118521
Thats sort of a pain but i dont really want to take it apart. Its a decent tool from what ive heard and i dont want to buy another one since it works fine, if just a bit of a pain to read.
>>
you could grind .027" off your calipers
>>
While I understand this is a /diy/ board, I would suggest send a precision caliper instrument like that to someone who really knows what they are doing. Keith Rucker has sent about a dozen expensive calipers to be restored and repaired to a guy in Illinois that was charging something like $15 per tool to repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T35YflSuMQw

Skip to about 5:30 to see the restoration change and contact info. Apparently if you send the guy an email he'll give you a price and estimated turn around time. Just looking at the before and after of all the tools he's done, it looks like superb work of making the thing look and work like brand new.
>>
If there's an industrial area near you, there's a place that calibrates and repairs tools. Just had a dial indicator, two pairs of calipers, and some depth micrometers calibrated and clean sand whatnot. Cost me like 120ish total.
>>
>>1118526
kek

i bet all they do is zero the jaws, take off the crystal, pluck out the needle, and put it back perpendicular
>>
>>1118556
*cleaned and whatnot
>>
>>1118557
>take off the crystal, pluck out the needle, and put it back perpendicular

You are correct.

The shops also clean and lubricate the gears I'm sure. Much like a watchmaker would.
>>
>>1118557
>>1118556
That sounds really easy to do and way more accurate than filing it down like
>>1118526
Suggested.

How do i pop the crystal off without damaging it? If i unscrew the set screw so it spins freely will i be able to screw the dial off and take it apart? I only really use it for reloading ammo right now but id still like to keep it in the best shape i can.
>>
>>1118568
>How do i pop the crystal off without damaging it?

If you can't figure this out on your own, you really shouldn't mess with it.
It's a reasonably nice tool - don't fuck it up.
>>
>>1118571
I feel like i should mention im pretty drunk and tired at this point. My plan at this pointit to just set the dial to zero and deal with reading sideways
>>
It's been a long time but I think,

-loosen the screws on top (when the dial is verticle)
-slide out the shims
-move the assembly away from the rail with teeth
-move over 1 tooth (see how the teeth are about .025 apart)
-check zero
-reassemble

Don't lubricate with anything, It makes dust & shit stick.
>>
>>1118513
There's three screws on the rack loosen them and shift the rack back or forth to zero.
>>
>>1118513
>American made Starrett 120

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p111.html

/thread

inb4 can't /thread your own post

/thread
>>
File: 20170121_113956.jpg (3MB, 1389x3284px) Image search: [Google]
20170121_113956.jpg
3MB, 1389x3284px
I am a retentive quality engineer. Store the jaws open.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1485020588913.jpg (113KB, 624x1476px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1485020588913.jpg
113KB, 624x1476px
I am a retentive quality engineer. Store the jaws open.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.