[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sewing general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: WP_20150709_18_38_54_Pro.jpg (2MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150709_18_38_54_Pro.jpg
2MB, 1456x2592px
picked up an Emerald 116 sewing machine today, it's trash, gonna return it tomorrow. need sauce on zig zag machine capable of 12mm thick (4 layers) of climb spec nylon
>>
>>1118316
>husqvarna putting their viking name onto budget entry level sewing machines

How awful, what kind of world are we living in?
>>
>>1118328
no complaints on their chainsaws tho.

current options
toyota super jeans
barracuda 200zw
RX-607Z

would prefer American Made, trying to avoid a 50 year old singer but fuck these clutch motors, direct drive sounds nice
>>
Go get a sewline or other Cinese zigzag. All the sailrite attachments work and they are retty good machines
>>
>>1118372
anything but chinese, I would get jap made, but I really want an American made machine
>>
>>1118553
well...turns out the barracuda is chinese. fucking leaf
>>
>>1118553
Buy a 30/40 year old American made one and put a new belt on. I bought a montgomery ward off Craigslist from a guy who fixes and flips them. Huge metal machine weighs a ton but is a goddamn troopers and sews through leather like a champ. Go for an older industrial model of you Neel you need something big
>>
>>1118658
a specific model would help, a little overwhelming trying to constantly figure out if it can do a zig zag stitch

Also, is sailrite any good? atleast they're American made?
>>
>>1118789
They made zig-zag attachments that fit just about any machine.

>>1118658
MW had most of their machines made by two companies: National (old stuff) and 'Happy' (newer stuff). Happy was Asian. They started using Happy in the 1960s or so, from what I can tell.

Kenmore (Sears) had a ton of different companies make machines for them over the years. White, Janome, Soryu, Jaguar, etc. They had switched over to Japanese companies by about 1960.

The Singer 301 is a solid machine and had a zig-zag attachment made specifically for it. Their later flagship models (401/403/500/503/600) had zig-zag built in, as well as other stitches. The latter 600 models started to slip in quality but were still decent. I wouldn't bother with anything from the 700 line or later. They had many other designs that were higher up the 'tree' than others. Generally, a low number (401\403\404) meant it was close to the flagship model in design and features, which '1' being the top tier model. Higher numbers (417, 431, 457) were different specific designs for different markets, price points, whatever.
>>
Sewing machine for leather and canvas?

Anyone?
>>
>>1118789
sailrite is good i have both a sailrite and a sewline. I bought sailrite first because they are a local company. the only real difference is they really go through the machine when they get them from china and do some minor modifications to them. However I use the sewline more because you can get it with a 9" bed which makes a huge difference.
>>
>>1118807
thanks for the tip, glad the zig zag attachments are fairly universal, takes alot of the worry out of choosing a machine
>>
See if you can get old industrial sewing machines second hand.

The two important factors you're looking at are rigidity (meaning you definitely want a full metal frame) and foot pressure.

Some older home-sewing machines are rigid enough; not only belt-driven cast iron Singer machines from 1900, but also full-metal machines with plastic enclosures from the 70ies should be sufficiently rigid.
The bigger problem is your foot pressure, which I doubt will be enough for four layers of dense nylon webbing.

However, the most important thing is getting the correct needle. If you have threads ripping, your needle eye is too small and your needle is too thin.
>>
>>1120627
Oh and I forgot:
Alternatively, have you looked around your area for a makerspace/hackerspace/open workshop for sewing? They might have a machine standing around you can use.
>>
>>1118316
>diy dogbone
good luck dying, op
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.