[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best painting tool

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6422.jpg (81KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6422.jpg
81KB, 500x375px
Whats the best all round painting tool for wood, metal, buildings etc?

Is it the paintbrush, the foam brush, the roller or the spray gun?

I think the spray gun and foam brush are best.

I think the old style paintbrush leaves a terrible finish and is too slow. Does anyone still even use them?
>>
>>1117936
I think it depends on the surface you are painting, overall I would have to say the paint sprayer has the most uses and is the most efficient for larger jobs. I still use a nice brush for interior trim, small applications, and for raw wood.
>>
>>1117936

>best all around

The roller. Fast, with adequate surface finish.

But do not confuse my "best all around" answer for simply "best". There's a reason all of those tools are still used everywhere.

The spray gun, by far, leaves the cleanest surface. However, it wastes a lot of paint, is slower than a roller, and can't get everywhere like a brush can.

Similarly, a roller is fast and wastes little paint, but leaves only an "okay" finish (though the stippled finish it leaves is desirable for most architectural painting) and can't really do corners or crevices. A brush, rounding it out, is very slow and leaves a poor surface (unless you do many thin layers with sanding between), but wastes almost no paint and can get everywhere.

Foam brushes are situational. Personally, I only use them for small, quick jobs. I've found them generally slower than a regular brush. They also don't last nearly as long, in my experience. The only real upside is that they tend to leave a better surface with a single coat.
>>
I think the main rule is don't cheap out on whatever you use. Nothing more infuriating than finding hairs in your dried paint jobs
>>
If you're over 80, or if you're a girl upcycling a dresser or painting pallet furniture, use a pintbrush.

If you're a guy and want to impress your buddies use a spray gun

If you're a painter by trade, use a roller.

If you're Mexican you're allowed to use all three.
>>
>>1117936
A nice broad quality natural brush. I've painted it all with everything.

It's slightly slower 10000% cleaner I don't even put sheets down anymore.
>>
It depends on the paint you're using.

You can't use a roller or spray gun on oil or acrylic paint.
I know this because it said so in the instruction manual of my Bosch airless sprayer.

And I dont think you can use a brush on latex or water based paint either.

I've tried and the brisles just soaked up the water from the paint, and the rest of the paint clumped up and dried before I finished putting it on.
>>
>>1118871
What? What fucking planet were you on?
>>
>>1117936
>itt fags who can't paint with a regular brush
Don't knock it until you learn to do it.
>>
>>1118871
As someone who tried to paint a fence with water based preservative and a roller i can tell you it's the worst idea ever. I was painting spars before building the fence I thought o was a smart cunt racking them all up and using a long roller to get in the spaces. Could paint both sides and one edge of 20 3.6m lengths without taking a step. Did about 6 coats before I twigged the roller wasn't working. One brush coat was better than the 6 or 7 roller coats, two was all it needed.
>>
>>1118871
>And I dont think you can use a brush on latex or water based paint either.

For water based paint use a nylon/synthetic bristle brush.
For oil based paint use a natural bristle brush.
>>
paint brush

$10 HF hvlp spray gun
>>
>>1119369
>$10 spray gun
>needs $200 compressor to work
Why not just go for an electric sprayer for $70
>>
>>1119371
I have used said gun with the 8 gallon model from HF, $90-100 with coupon

besides, who doesn't already have a compressor?

the hvlp guns are dirt cheap and easy to clean
>>
>>1119378
Lots of people don't have a compressor actually.
It's noisy, and most people prefer battery powered tools.
>>
>>1119371
>Why not just go for an electric sprayer for $70
it won't work as well and a compressor is good to have around for other things. if nothing else you can fill tires and clean shit with it.
>>
>>1119381
it's not like you'd be using a pump sprayer indoors regardless

if it's for one project, use a brush...if it's meant to be used regularly, get a gun and a compressor (or a bigger one)

>I refurbished furniture for a job and I never looked back after moving from a brush to my HF guns
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.