[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: b5220bfc860ba956c554c3139ae10f6b.jpg (196KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
b5220bfc860ba956c554c3139ae10f6b.jpg
196KB, 1200x1200px
what brand of tools does /diy/ use? i just bought my first house and have a lot of work to do. a buddy of mine has a dewalt set with the modular battery pack, which seems pretty handy. their stuff is pretty expensive though and ive read a few meh reviews. for power tools what do you use? hammers?
>>
>>1117901

Look for older Makita corded power tools. Unless you MUST have cordless.

My old man has had the same Makita set for at least 15-20 years, everything still works like new, I use them now.

Old shit works. Only buy new stuff if it makes a difference or is practical.

Example: I use my makita shit for most stuff, and I use older nail gun sets. I do however like my Ryobi cordless brad nailer, my cordless 20V impact driver/drill set. I have the sawzall but it sucks because it demolishes battery going through wood.

Corded, go Makita imo. Cordless, go DeWalt. Their batteries last forever.

Milwaukee cordless stuff is great, but prices are WAY inflated.

For manual tools, get whatever is cheapest.. a hammer is a hammer (albeit some with different applications), a sledge is a sledge.
>>
>>1117901

If you're going for a renovation... you'll probably need (depending on what's wrong).

General shit: Few different types of hammer, nails, crowbar, prybar, caulking gun, drywall knives (you can probably do a whole house with a 4" and a 6", maybe a 12 if walls suck), tape and mud.

Air tools: Standard framing nailer, brad nailer, pancake compressor, nails.

corded tools: Sawzall, skillsaw, anything that will need continuous strong power.

Cordless tools: any drills, few batts, lights, any power tools you'll use periodically.

Guidelines: Shop cheap. Flea markets, pawn shops, craigslist, Offerup (tons of deals here), should have a lot of what you need.
>>
>>1117901
Personally I like Dewalt but that's just me.

For hand tools you can't really go wrong as long as you don't buy the cheap gas station shit. Anything carried at a hardware store would be fine.

I still use/buy Craftsman sockets and wrenches and I love Klein tools for electrical work but if you're just a weekend warrior I wouldn't bother with all of that.
>>
Toolbox or toolbag?
>>
>>1117931
I have both, I use a tool box for my mechanic tools and a bag for my carpentry tool, I like the bag more, light weight lots of pockets, and plenty of room.
>>
Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita are the best brands for power tools. Some on the board will make the point that cheaper brands, like Ryobi, are perfectly fine for home repairs, which is true.

For home renovations, you don't need cordless tools. Buying used corded tools is the most cost efficient way to start.

If you do go with cordless, then remember that you're investing in a system, not an individual tool, so look at all the tools and accessories of that brand, not just the one you need at this moment.

Never get the following tools as cordless
>angle grinder
>jigsaw
>rotary hammer

Modern cordless tools have essentially hit the wall in terms of performance, and the only difference between newer and older models are the batteries.
>>
>>1117975

>Never get the following tools as cordless
>angle grinder
>jigsaw
>rotary hammer

Why not? I have all three cordless and I wouldn't take a corded to work with me again.
>>
>>1118012
I assume because of battery/power
>>
>>1118018

I'd assume also that is what he/she is implying but It's just a non-issue any more.
>>
>>1117975
Im going to disagree with the jigsaw, cordless can be pretty damn handy.
>>
File: Jigsaw.jpg (76KB, 1066x972px) Image search: [Google]
Jigsaw.jpg
76KB, 1066x972px
>>1118022
I got the one in the photo to replace a Bosch GST 110v I had and it was a good move. Sold the corded. Didn't need it any more.
>>
>>1118018
ill add that a tool like an angle grinder works best when you have lots of torque, in that case corded is superior
>>
>>1118012

Cordless angle grinder is like 5 minutes max. Only a welder, who already has a corded version, would be well served by having one.

Rotary hammer just makes no fucking sense

Cordless jigsaw can be useful, but it's too niche for someone like OP who is just doing home repairs
>>
>>1118045

I have both corded and cordless angle grinders.

I use the cordless very often as most of my work is small jobs that require a 30 second cut but if I needed to cut more than 25 pieces of 1/2" rebar I'd pull out the cord

I wish I had a cordless rotary hammer because the cordless and corded hammer drills are pretty shitty at drilling into concrete. OK if I only have to do it once a month but it's nearly every other day now
>>
File: 31986_APC_f800.jpg (42KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
31986_APC_f800.jpg
42KB, 800x540px
>>1118045
>Rotary hammer just makes no fucking sense

Again, I don't see what doesn't make sense to you? I have pic related. I've not used a corded rotary hammer for the last 6 years.
>>
>>1118054

We're not talking about you

OP is renovating his house. He doesn't need a fucking cordless rotary hammer for that.

Did you forget the context of this entire thread?
>>
>>1118012
nah tools get bether with time and technological advance just dont buy old no name or chink shit tools
>>1117901
just buy tools you will always use and need and brand qualiti tools last for "ever" and are good investment thatas pays back
what work do you plan to do ? what tools you have?
>>
>>1118057

Blow it out your ass guy. OP asked what tools we used, I'm telling him.

>what brand of tools does /diy/ use?

Someone made the argument against these tools being cordless, I'm making my argument for cordless tools. OP can buy what he wants. The fact he's asking probably means he's going to buy the cheapest shit he can find anyway, otherwise he'd go somewhere more reliable than /diy/ for tool advice.
>>
>>1118060

You're an idiot for both buying and recommending that shit

Enjoy your switching batteries every five minutes so you can circle jerk your overpriced junk.

You obviously barely even use it though, otherwise you wouldn't be talking out your ass.
>>
File: hilti.jpg (33KB, 294x322px) Image search: [Google]
hilti.jpg
33KB, 294x322px
>>1118066
>You obviously barely even use it though, otherwise you wouldn't be talking out your ass.

>spent all this money on a hammer drill I barely use

You've never even used one, have you.
>>
>>1118069

Use my corded one every single week

What is your battery life on it with a full charge and when are you ever in a situation that a corded drill is not an option
>>
>>1118072

On site, corded drills just aren't used any more. The only time I see people using corded stuff like this is for large breakers and diamond drills. Hammers and rotary hammers are very rarely plug in among trades any more.

As for battery life, I can't really give an absolute time length. Just say an average day consists of drilling 10mm x 30mm holes into concrete for HILTI HKD M8 anchors or something similar for screw in rods, average say 30 holes a day; I might swap the battery every other day. I have three batteries with me for it at any time and a charger so I'm never without.

The simplicity of not dragging a lead around with you, which itself is an issue as a lot of companies are trying to remove them completely from site, one because it poses a trip hazard when they're not tied up, which itself is a ball ache, and secondly they just don't really encourage mains powered tools any more for further H&S bullshit.

Battery capacity is increasing and rotary hammers are getting smaller. If it's something you use every day, I don't see why you wouldn't want to cut the cord.
>>
>>1118054
>>1118057
>>1118060
>>1118060
>>1118066
>>1118069
>>1118072
>>1118077
Cordless rotary hammers work perfectly fine when drilling for tapcons, and that is enough reason to buy them for some people. Though, when drilling actual holes through masonry, there is nothing worse than holding up a weak ass (cordless) drill for 5 minutes, then realizing you dropped your shoulder and drilled up, thus fucking everything up.
>>
>>1118202
>Tapcons

That's a really broad, ambiguous claim, I've used 6mm tapcons, I've used 16mm tapcons. I used a cordless rotary hammer for both.

Granted some cordless rotary hammers are pretty weak but that doesn't stray far from the idea when you buy cheap you're going to get shit; if you're dropping a drill that's your problem, not the drill.
>>
I was thinking of getting a wood working lathe, I've never bought one before and was wondering if /diy/ had any suggestions?
>>
The meme brands right now are Milwaukee, Hilti and Fein.

I've never used Fein but they honestly look really nice.
>>
I'm in Australia, so prices vary here some, which affects what is popular, but...

A few of my carpenter friends swear by their Makita kit. Cordless drills and drivers and all that smaller stuff, and then corded for their mitresaws and other thirstier kit - like 9" angle grinders.

I'm a labourer on commercial sites myself, so I use the tools of the foreman I work for/with which is a combination of cordless Makita and corded Bosch.

In a few weeks I'm starting an electrical apprenticeship and have been researching which brand I want to pick up for myself. All gonna be cordless. I'm pretty torn to be honest. Lots of sparkies I know use Milwaukee, but there's something about it that just doesn't click for me. Been looking online a lot at Bosch's professional line, but reviews sound mixed.

I handled a friend's DeWalt kit the other day, and I actually really liked the handling. Most of the stuff felt lighter, slightly smaller than Milwaukee? That may be in my head? But opinions online seem really divided?

I really just need to spend some time in a store and approach it from handling, because it seems like you almost cant go wrong on the big name's professional brushless lines.
>>
What do people consider the key points of difference between the main power tool brands? Specifically when it comes to cordless?
>>
Should I start a new thread or ask in here about purchase advice?

I'm on the look for a small brushless screwdriver.

There's several ones in the budget I'm after, which is 100-200usd.

Is there anything I need to look out for or can I just go with anyone since I don't really need it for heavy duty work.

Looking at Makita or Bosch right now.
>>
File: hilti.jpg (116KB, 832x833px) Image search: [Google]
hilti.jpg
116KB, 832x833px
In a previous life, I was the Sr. Lab Technician for a fairly prestigious Architectural Engineering firm. I went through just about every single brand of tools on the face of the planet. Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Ridgid, whatever. And I burned up each and every single one of them, all in a variety of spectacular manner. BUT, there is one brand of tool I could never destroy: Hilti. Hilti, without a doubt, really does make the best power tools money can buy. You're *definitely* going to pay for them, though. For the home gamer, they ain't cheap, not by a long shot.

$400 for a cordless Hilti drill vs $99 for a DeWalt? You can buy 4 DeWalts for what one Hilti costs, so why would we buy Hilti? Because Time is Money.

Doing what we did, when we're charging the client $200/hr, when a DeWalt burns up, sure, you can run down to Lowe's and get another one, but that's going to take an hour of down time. You just cost the company $200. Compare that to the fact that never, not once, was I ever able to get a Hilti tool to fail, they are absolute BARGAINS. *If* you are actually making money with your tools.

Now that I don't work there anymore, what's my personal choice for cordless tools? Ryobi. Is it as nice as the Hilti? Good God, no. Not even close. BUT, I'm not making money with my tools anymore, either.

So why did I go with Ryobi? Because Ryobi, Ridgid and Milwaukee are the exact same shit, just 3 different colors. Same Chinese company owns all three: TTI, they come off of the same assembly line. I've had my Ryobi cordless set for about 2 years now, and they've performed flawlessly here around the house. I couldn't be happier.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.