[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

open old plumbing trap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

File: this_is_the_trap?.png (1005KB, 891x735px) Image search: [Google]
this_is_the_trap?.png
1005KB, 891x735px
The bath, vanity and bidet in the 20s/30s bathroom I'm working on all connect to the same drain, which seems to be almost completely clogged.

I figure I might have to clean the plumbing trap (pic related). Now I only just realized what this is (and I might be wrong). It's recessed into the bathroom's tile floor.

Research indicates this might be an old style lead plumbing trap, which was cast into place using molten lead? Would I be right in assuming that top part has treads on it, and that the lead surrounding it has formed around those? Do you think this cap would come off, allowing me to clean inside the trap?

Thanks!
>>
File: top_view.png (1013KB, 781x735px) Image search: [Google]
top_view.png
1013KB, 781x735px
For scale, the bottom diameter is 3,1" and the "cap" is about 1,35" (just enough for a pair of tweezers to go through?)
>>
yep that's a screw bung. bet ya the threads are galled.

you can see the chisel marks around the rim from previous times unscrewing was attempted.

a pipe wrench won't grip very well on that thin rim of brass. you might end up having to drill holes for a pin wrench. then put a cheater pipe on the pin wrench. then beat on the cheater pipe with a hammer.

brass-on-brass threads are a cunt.
>>
File: 1484841883075.png (1004KB, 781x735px) Image search: [Google]
1484841883075.png
1004KB, 781x735px
>>1117876
Get a pipe wrench and a dremel with a cutting disc. Slice off two flat section of the sides of the top of the screw and use the wrench on it.
>>
>>1118101
FYI, a hacksaw will also work to cut those sides flat.
>>
>>1117876
It has threads. I just removed my barrel trap (that's what this is) from my 1912 house. The cap that was on it was new and didn't even fit so I don't know if it was a bitch to unscrew or not.
However from my experience with my plumbing either do this >>1118101 or if you don't want to wreck anything right away, heat the lead around the brass with a propane torch (it can take more heat than you think but not too much) then take you pipe wrench (get a new one with sharp teeth) and try it. Heat does wonders when I was getting pieces apart of my lead plumbing. 2 person job though, one to heat, one to have the pipe wrench on and immediately turn the sucker once heated and torch pulled away
>>
File: pipe_connection.png (715KB, 614x899px) Image search: [Google]
pipe_connection.png
715KB, 614x899px
>>1118070
>>1118101
>>1118620
Thanks a lot! I'm going to give this a try tomorrow.

>>1118620
I've been thinking of getting a propane torch anyway ever since I learned of soldered connections. I'm gonna have to add and replace some piping soon anyway.

Could you take a look at the pipes in my pic? Do you have any idea what kind of material this is and what sort of connection we're looking at? Tin/copper? Soldered connections? I doubt this is is a threaded connection, maybe some kind of male/female join? Sorry I really don't know a lot about this stuff, but I love learning about it.
>>
File: damaged_pipes.png (482KB, 400x829px) Image search: [Google]
damaged_pipes.png
482KB, 400x829px
>>1120306
Not sure if this is corrosion or the underlying copper.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.