[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /diy/ know about vintage clockwork? This pocket watch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170113_180705.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170113_180705.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
What does /diy/ know about vintage clockwork?

This pocket watch doesn't work, and I'd like to fix it or find out how to get it fixed. I also have no idea what it's worth.
>>
File: IMG_20170118_130553.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170118_130553.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I unscrewed it at the back, and it came out like this. Apparently it's overwound, but I have no idea where to start releasing the spring tension.

Apparently it's a 1903 made watch. This thing is absolutely brilliant; I've never seen anything like it. Id love nothing more than to see it work again.
>>
>>1117586
take it to a professional
>>
>>1117586
Ignore the other turd/troll.
Watches like that are nice to look at but if you have no experience/training in repair, or the proper tools, you should absolutely NOT try any type of repair. Take it to a quality watch shop and have them look at it.
>>
>>1117583
https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/12590314

There's your watch. Now you can find out what it's worth. I wouldn't expect much, given the condition of it.

Repairing these things is easy, but finding parts can be a bitch.

Also, 'overwound' is a meme that ebay sellers use to trick people into buying dead watches. Overwinding them isn't great for them, but unless someone has literally wound till something snapped, the problem is likely elsewhere.

If you're comfortable DIY-ing it, you can dismantle it, clean and oil it, and put it back together. Unless there's something actually broken, that'll get it into a running state. Given the age of the watch, it's probably either gummed up with junk (in which case a clean and oil will fix it) or there are parts which are worn out. If it's worn out parts, you can try to find replacements (good luck) or just take it to a pro.
>>
>>1117621
I forgot to mention: Take lots of photos while you dismantle it and meticulously organise the pieces you've removed. It's easy to mess up and forget how to put it back together properly.
>>
File: IMG_1282.jpg (305KB, 1178x1390px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1282.jpg
305KB, 1178x1390px
>>1117583
Pretty much this >>1117598
I have an old one from my grandpa that I gave to a professional to get refurbished and he did a great job. I'm not sure if the value, but it's more of a sentimental thing desu. He did a great job making it look new again. Old pocket watches are neat and they're worth letting a professional fix it for you
>>
File: IMG_1283.jpg (314KB, 1109x1532px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1283.jpg
314KB, 1109x1532px
>>1117665
Close up view
>>
>>1117665
>>1117670
Nice watch, but it's in far better condition than OP's.

People seem to think that old mechanical watches are some kind of hyper-complicated device that only a master craftsman can dream of fixing. That's not true. There's not much to them once you start pulling them apart. Though I will say that the end result will love you more if you work slowly and very carefully and always look for guidance if you get stuck.

OP's watch has been disassembled before (many times, by the looks of it, there's rust on (what I think is) the escape wheel and the jewels that we can see are full of gunk. I hate to think what the insides look like.

>but it's more of a sentimental thing
If this is the case, take it to a pro. Otherwise, I'd take a crack at it myself first. If you're careful, you won't break or lose anything. As long as that's the case, you can always take it to a pro afterwards.

OP, google 'the watch guy'.
>>
basically take it apart and see what looks stuck and unstick it
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.