[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got a plumbing apprenticeship.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: fgdf45sd.jpg (18KB, 265x310px) Image search: [Google]
fgdf45sd.jpg
18KB, 265x310px
Anyone know of any software/resources for teaching this?
>>
File: IMG_20170118_181318.jpg (725KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170118_181318.jpg
725KB, 912x1600px
Books.
>>
on a side note how old is too old to become an apprentice?
>>
>>1117525
What's his name again?
>>
>>1117525
Who?
>>
>>1117530
Well I'm 28, and sent the application out as a joke, but look at me now
>>
>>1117534
I'm 28 also. Was thinking about learning a manly profession but dunno if it's too late
>>
>>1117543
Well there you go, not too late.
>>
File: 1483657160569.jpg (51KB, 700x733px) Image search: [Google]
1483657160569.jpg
51KB, 700x733px
question: how much would it cost to hook up an undeveloped parcel in a metropolitan area to the city sewage? also, how much would it cost to hook it up to the municipal water?
>>
>>1117564

Call a variety of contractors in your area to get specific quotes. Of course you need something to CONNECT the power and sewage to, typically referred to as a "building". Not a /diy/ job because certifications and codes.
>>
>>1117543
>>1117534
Most friends of mine started apprenticing between 25 and 29
>>
>>1117564
This picture is disgusting. Poor kid is destined for abuse by these left-wing monkeys.
>>
>>1117530
I started my electrical apprenticeship at 29. I thought I'd for sure be the oldest apprentice.

I was not. The oldest apprentice was nearly 50.
>>
test
>>
I am a 28 year old army vet turned 2nd year plumbing apprentice. Good times. In a commercial gig now, glad the domestic slog is over, (north melbourne is rough man) but this is a completely different game. Being a civilian is fucking odd now too but hey im doing good. Keep your chin up OP mate dont stop till youre dead. Glad to know theres other lads doing the do for gen y

'88 represent
>>
>>1117770

Ex RAN here. 10 years in the puss, got out at 29 and now in 2nd year nursing at uni. That military shit is for young cunts.
>>
>>1117770
My apprenticeship is with a council house maintenance firm, it's gonna be rough!
>>
>>1117642
How'd you get started? I'm in uni now, no tech school but I'm a hard worker and I can do stuff. What's the best apprenticeship to pursue?
>>
>>1117632
>>1117642
>tfw 26 and thought I was too old for an apprenticeship

Maybe ill start applying for a few of em.
>>
>>1117523
Best bet is to look at the certification companies website, however the college should provide everything they need.

bpec.org.uk has some things on it if your UK based
>>
>>1117845
Friend of the family was a semi-retired electrician. He said I could name drop when I called them.

But that's not the typical way to get in. My cousin asked me to help him get an apprenticeship and my advice to him was to make a list off all the electrical contractors he could and just start cold calling and showing up at their door, resume in hand. He had a job in less than a month.

Furthermore, I am ideologically opposed to those pre-trade training courses. Doubly so for the ones that cost you money, like Women Building Futures. The whole idea behind apprenticeship is you learn on the job. You start from zero, under the tutelage of a journeyman and he/she educates you in the trade. This basic framework goes back thousands of years to ancient Greece. It likely goes back further.

>to be continued
>>
>>1117881
In modern times, the state also requires state sanctioned education as a component. I think we're better off for that in every way. I personally loved the school component.

But paying to pre-learn a trade is a scam imho. You first few months on the job you're mostly going to be carrying shit, unloading the trucks, and asking painfully dumb questions. It's ok. Your journeyman should be cool with that, assuming they're not a complete dick.

Apprenticeship is supposed to be a framework for mentoring. At least it has been for thousands of years. I personally think it's falling apart now and these pre-trade courses are a symptom of that, but that's another conversation.
>>
>>1117884
Good shit anon. I hadn't planned to do a pre-trade course, and after hearing that I'm glad others feel the same way. How do you like electrical as opposed to other kinds of work? Welding is my guilty pleasure but not sure if I'd want to do it for a living.
>>
>>1117890

I'm glad I chose it. Electricity is dangerous if mishandled and the working theory can be really confusing, so it's nice to have that knowledge.

Welding is another extremely handy thing to know. My concern with welding is that as a full time career it can be very hard on your health.

My son is considering automotives. He has a genuine interest and he's fairly smart. I think he has the raw intelligence to pursue an engineering degree, but, with a trade, you really lose nothing.

>to be continued
>>
>>1117900

Here in Alberta, the educational component of your apprenticeship is about 8 weeks a year and you get EI while you're there. The upshot of that being that I don't know a single person that had to get student loans for finish their apprenticeship.

So you don't go into debt, you learn a useful skill, and you've got a medium to high paying career you can always fall back on.

Other than safety concerns, there's is pretty much zero risk to pursuing a trade. So if my son wants to do that instead of going to university, I'll bless that.

He can always go later when his life is established.
>>
i'm 24 in the states and am looking towards a pipefitting apprenticeship.. my plan atm is to cold call as someone else said different contractors to find out if they're looking for helpers. i have little to no experience in the construction industry but have always had great lateral thinking and problem solving skills as well as better than average hand eye coordination. hoping things will work out and was wondering if anyone had any similar experience to me and what i should expect, focus on in my apprenticeship, etc.
>>
>>1117588
thanks, will do
>>
30 y/o code monkey / data entry here.

Ready to tell my boss to shove it and swing by the local union training center and ask for advice/a job.

What am I in for?
>>
>>1117527
I got this book series from a yard sale, they are everywhere.
>>
>>1117530
As a pipefitter apprentice, I've met fellow apprentices who are 50+.

I'm 26, and I'd say 20s are likely ideal, but don't let that discourage you.
>>
>>1117983
Fourth year pipefitter apprentice here. I'd recommend checking with your nearby local unions. While every local is different, I'm more than happy to answer any questions that I may have experience with.
>>
>>1118368
20 years of being the last one picked for jobs because you don't have any experience, getting poor pay for the same work versus people the same age, and then being too old for anyone to take you for anything because more trades types are rekt/alcoholic by 55.

Not that being a programmer is any better. The place I worked at basically made up excuses to fire people once they hit their mid 40s. The only gray hair in the place was the receptionist and the janitors.
>>
>>1118368
You are only a cod monkey if you allow yourself to be
You should be moving jobs every couple of years anyways, have you not been putting yourself out there looking for other prospects?
>>
>>1117523

Congratulations on spending the rest of your working life covered in shit.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.