[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homestead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1484366784067.jpg (45KB, 845x681px) Image search: [Google]
1484366784067.jpg
45KB, 845x681px
I own a 0.93 acre plot of land, it's in the city limits of a small town but on the edge of town so the area is all woods. I'm trying to make a self sufficient farm as a proof of concept, for my and my kids enjoyment and to show you don't need a huge plot of land out in the middle of nowhere to have a farm/be more self reliant. I have:
>Small house with a woodburner for heat; high ceilings and tree cover make AC unncessary
>Chicken coop with 6 hens (roosters are illegal in town)
>Rabbit hutch with 4 female rabbits and 2 males
>Firewood shed
>Lots of big planters in a sunny spot for a garden come springtime
>A big compost bin with a nice heavy lid to keep animals from getting into it

I can't get cows/goats/sheep or any other large livestock being in town so I guess I'm gonna focus on gardening and small livestock. What should I do next? Does anybody have any experience they'd like to share on the subject? I'll answer any questions anybody has
>>
>>1117234
post pictures
>>
>>1117240
I'd rather not for the sake of anonymous-ness but you can be assured I diy'd all this-
>cleared the trees myself before I built the house 3 years ago, still burning it all in my stove
>built the 600 square foot house+porch myself, 4:12 metal roof with 12' ceilings
>built the 6x10 chicken coop myself out of free salvaged lumber, 12:12 cedar shingle roof with 6' ceiling
>built the 8x12 rabbit hutch myself out of free salvaged lumber, 12:12 cedar shingle roof
>built the compost bin out of an oak tree i cut down and took to a sawmill

Id love to pick brains w/ somebody who might know more about farming than me and wants any of my ideas on building shit
>>
>>1117243

Dig a big pond for fish farming and make a vertical hydroponic farm above it! Its scalable and unbelievably space efficient.

You can dig the pond first and let pigs wallow in it. They will create silt and seal the pond so it holds water, plus you'll get pork.
>>
Look up the video about ubuntu, not the OS But self sufficient way of living. Also, if i were you I'd go for solar power next... that's just what my next step would be in my dream land
>>
Bump for interest
>>
I just finished looking through a book called "practical project for self sufficiency" by Chris Peterson. some good builds there. I liked the tipi vertical growing method and the vertical pallet method. all simple stuff to do with the kids or friends.
>>
>>1117234
May want to try
>>929344

Good luck, you're living my dream. What's your work situation like? A 9-5 job and commute eat up so much of my time I'm amazed by those who actually get shit done.
>>
>>1118345
Can't seem to link to the Homestead thread in /out/, but it's active

>>929344
>>
>>1117234

>that pic

I knew it. Nazis drank water.
>>
The potassium in ashes from burnt wood can be utilised for a lot of things. But maybe you won't burn enough wood for it to be a viable solution to anything.
>>
>>1117234
/Out/ has a "homegrown man" thread or something like that.... Might be a better place to look
>>
>>1117234

I have an upside down cherry tomato stand for snacking. Four 60%-full 5-gallon buckets on a 2x6 about 6' off the ground, growing down. Gives handfuls of snacks all year.

Incorporating the chickens into the composting process would yield good results, as well as learning lasagna gardening for the container medium.

Developing a moss rooftop for the firewood shed could be fun too.
>>
>>1117234
I've heard good things about wallipinis. depends on your climate how much itd be worth it.

Generally the economics works out that it makes more sense to grow luxury labor intensive crops and trade for bulk staples. Restaurants will pay premium prices for fresh picked baby greens (which need to be cut like every 3rd day), or you could go the mushroom route.

there's a few species of bugs you can raise in the compost and feed to chickens for quick protein growth.

>>1117234
Goats are borderline small livestock, especially pygmy breeds. IIs it because of a town ordinance?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.