[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help fixing door hindges

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: IMAG0019.jpg (817KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0019.jpg
817KB, 1520x2688px
Help fixing door hindges
>>
OP here, sorry just wanted to post the picture from my phone.

How would one go about fixing these kinds of hinges? I tried looking it up on google but I couldn't find hinges the same as these ones

I've never built anything in my life, done woodwork, or operated a heavy drill, but I want to help my mother repair them.

Judging from looks purely, I guess the way these work is each hinge has 2 parts. One gets screwed in the door frame and one gets screwed into the door. Then after all 4 pieces are in place, you hook (?) the door into the frame by putting the hinges together.

For the bottom hinge in the picture attached I guess I'll need to remove it from the wall seeing as it broke, would just using some self grip wrench be enough or will I be risking doing more damage by not removing it safely?
>>
File: IMAG0020.jpg (717KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0020.jpg
717KB, 1520x2688px
>>1116718
Whoops
>>
>>1116715
Looks like someone got his door kicked in..

Best solution is a new door, fixing it wil look like crap.

Remove the broken hinge and the working one as well, measure the door dimensions and go to a shop nearby where they sell stuff like it,
bring the working hinge with you and buy what comes closest to it for replacement.

Good luck Op
>>
It would be easiest to just replace both hinges. Google how to install door hinge. It's very easy and you need limited tools.
>>
File: 1479603924837.png (454KB, 810x688px) Image search: [Google]
1479603924837.png
454KB, 810x688px
>>1116715
OP what fucking barbarian shithole do you live in with hinges like this
Its like dark ages wtf
>>
>>1116715
Are you in Bulgaria?
>>
>>1116790
OP here, thanks a bunch!
I meant to replace the hinges but I guess saying I wanted to repair them gave the wrong Idea.
Are you sure the door has to be replaced? I'm on a bit of a tight budget and was hoping I could perhaps just install the new hinges slightly higher/lower than my current ones.
>>
No Op, but what's the best way to prevent this shit(home invasion through a kick)?
>>
>>1117075
1. Live in a white neighborhood
2. own a gun
>>
>>1117001

those hinges come from eastern europe, so yeah I think it sounds about right
>>
>>1116715

the door hinges are fine OP, they are sturdy as fuck

the door on the other hand it fucked, either remove the side wood strip and drill in the door hinge anew or replace the door altogether
>>
>>1117064
Well in that case cheapest fix is to use the hole under the top one (seen in first pic) and drill a new one in the frame.
And next exchange the busted one with a new hinge.

The fucked part can be glued together if you want to be dirt cheap..

Best of luck Op
>>
>>1116790
>>1117102
That hinge design sucks.

>>1117104
Don't reuse that hole, it's too close to the edge and the same thing will happen again.

>>1116715
Go to home depot and ask for two of these, they're like $3 each.
>>
>>1117075
Plain and simple, these hinges are not for front doors..
Use a decent door with decent hinges and 90% of the problem is solved
>>
>>1117106
>Eastern Europe
>home depot

Nope

Hinges are not the problem, the door is
>>
>>1117108
>home depot
>or literally any hardware store anywhere
>>
>>1117109
True, just for keks.
But be honest:
>chisel or route new hinges
>drill a couple of holes for new hinges
Choose one..

I doubt op has any of the tools to fix your suggestion.
>>
>>1117075
strike plate
>>
You have two possible solutions.

1) Cut out the broken piece and patch in another.
Its called a "Dutchman" in English.
Tools needed are basic chisel, drill, saw, and clamp.
Google it for more detail. Its not difficult.

2) Fix the broken part using 2komponent automotive filler.

Just mix the filler and apply like glue, then clamp it together.
You can fill it the hole for the hinge with it too, then re-drill it.
The Green stuff is strongest because its infused with fiberglass strands.
Yellow is too soft. White is hard but brittle.
This repair will be stronger than the original door ever was.
>>
>>1117142
This, option 1

That's the best way to fix it. With that you're basically just following the steps to installing hinges on a new door slab.

I'm not so sure about the second option though, I think I get what you're saying but I'm assuming that "2 Komponent" stuff is like some Slavic Bondo or something.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.