[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question about air compressor regulators. I was told

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 48690_700x700.jpg (114KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
48690_700x700.jpg
114KB, 700x700px
I have a question about air compressor regulators. I was told that when not in use I should always dial my air compressor regulator back down to 0 psi, because otherwise the spring will break and wear out. Is this true or can I just leave it at 90psi indefinitely? thanks.
>>
>>1116666
Do you also prop your car up on jackstands when you get home to keep the suspension from sagging out?
>>
I had a regulator that didn't get adjusted for 15 years. The compressor died and i put the regulator on a new one.
>>
>>1116666
The spring inside will be the last part to fail. The diaphragm and screw threads being the first. Totally pointless exercise that will fatigue the threads more than save the spring.
>>
Yeah I kinda thought it was stupid, thanks guys.
>>
File: lololol.gif (336KB, 499x324px) Image search: [Google]
lololol.gif
336KB, 499x324px
>>1116670
>>
>>1116670
my dad used to do that, and used the spring explanation

real reason - to say it's a hassle to go out somewhere (single car)
>>
What about bandsaws? I've always released the tension on my bandsaw blades because it just never felt right putting them under stress all the time.
>>
>>1116899
Annecdote warning: I bought a 50 year old scroll saw with a 20 year old band on Craigslist. I ran the band for 6 more months till it wore flat.
I'm no mechanical engineer, but steel really doesn't seem to wear out from static load.
I frequent /k/ a lot too and they bicker like bitches whether to keep your mags loaded or unloaded. That is irrelevant because the springs only wear out from use, not from simply age.
>>
>>1116899
Tension doesn't hurt bandsaw blades, but hilarity can ensue if you hit the power button on a loose one.
>>
>>1118152
Tfw wood class in high school you rev up one and someone undid the tensioner. Blade broke above the table, then continued to break in 1" increments until the entire band was a pile of shards. Table was ruined too kek.
>>
>>1118139
>what is creep
>>
>>1118139
>I frequent /k/ a lot too and they bicker like bitches whether to keep your mags loaded or unloaded.
No we don't, there's just one or two trolls/idiots that can't accept the fact that springs don't wear from being only compressed.
>>
>>1116666
>trips and quads
>nice

more important is to regularly vent the pressure and drain the condensation
>>
>>1118576

>what is creep

Something only of marginal concern in spring steel, which creeps to only a marginal degree. Plenty of springs designed to provide some sort of constant force or preload in a mechanical assembly are wholly reliant on this fact.

Springs are much more susceptible to dynamic stresses than static ones.

Regarding air regulators, my concern would be accidentally forgetting to set it, and then dumping 100PSI into a tool rated for only 40 or whatever. Turning it to 0 after every use would help prevent that from happening.
>>
>>1118576
if creep was a big factor every car more than a few years old would be sitting on the ground right now.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.