[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

connect pc to crt production monitor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

Hey /diy/

I want to connect a pc with VGA/DVI/HDMI to a crt production monitor with only composite BNC input and Y/C S-Video input... like pic

Can't figure out how...
>>
>>1115285
What is this for op your time machine? It clearly works otherwise you wouldn't be in 2016 you would still be in 1999.
Anyway what you might be able to do is as follows if memory serves correctly...
Svideo has an intensity and a colour, while vga has three separate intensities for each colour. What you can do is connect the output of the green channel from the vga to the intensity (gamma? NOT Chroma anyway) input of the svideo. But you might need some passive components, resistors or something? And its only going to be black and white too I'm pretty sure.
I think that's all you can do without an active converter. Happy to be proven wrong
>>
>>1115285
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuC2LS56HWI
>>
>>1115285
Id agree with with >>1115299 in that you cant, not without an active converter, disagree its even worth attempting SVideo from a VGA channel without it tho, aint gonna be useful, if at all visible. Comp/SVideo, are both analog formats, as were the cameras in them there good ole days.

If your monitor had RGB BNC in or whatever, its a possibity, but, as it stands, you need either a video card that output SVideo (better quality than Comp) - old capture/TV cards, 'TV-IN usb boxes' or similar - ebay, etc. - or, as said, a signal converter, or run it through a TV tuner box thats got a DVI in, and composite/S-Video out, w/e.
>>
>>1115285
S-Video was pretty common on laptops and graphics cards from the late 90s to the mid-2000s or so, but it might be hard to find on anything more modern.

BNC should work if it has 5 ports for RGBHV, in which case you'd just need a VGA to 5BNC cable.
>>
File: vgatocomp.gif (9KB, 539x340px)
vgatocomp.gif
9KB, 539x340px
>>1115285
You could cludge something together with a few components and software if you're up to the challenge. A circuit like this will give you a black and white signal if connected to the composite or S-video input. Your monitor resolution needs to be set to 640x480 60hz.

Color is a bit more complicated since VGA uses separate wires for R,G,B intensity, but S-video uses one wire for brightness and another for hue. Composite makes it even more complicated by sending hue as the phase shift of a sin wave.

What I'd do is use the attached picture but not connecting pin 1 (red). Connect pin 1 to the S video chroma input. You now have a system where the blue and green from the source control the black and white brightness and the red controls the hue. You could make things look right in software. For example if a pixel is supposed to be: R:180,G100;B50 you convert this to Hue/brightness to get Hue:23 Brightness:45. This means the pixel should actually be set to R23,G45,B45.
>>
>>1115285
>>>/vr/3724636
>>
File: GeForce 8600 GT.jpg (61KB, 600x500px)
GeForce 8600 GT.jpg
61KB, 600x500px
another way to handle this is to replace the current video card with an older one that includes a composite output. this will let you watch the computer screen at hi-res while the CRT is doing whatever lo-res stuff you're doing.
>>
>>1115343
>>1115345
>>1115923
>>1115943
Thank you!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.