[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I may have fucked up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_6407.jpg (157KB, 638x490px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6407.jpg
157KB, 638x490px
Here goes.
I've been without a steady job for the last three years.

Trough the EU Employment Agency I found a job in Germany.

I will be a boat mechanic looking after a fleet of 30 diesel engined boats. It starts in two months.
Wage is €4,000 NET per month and accommodation is provided so not bad at all.

Thing is, I have no experience or qualifications.
(I exaggerated a bit on my CV)
I know very little about boats or engines and I don't speak German either.

Should I try and wing it or just quit now?
>>
>>1114925
Give me the job
>>
I can't imagine why you've been out of work awhile
>>
>>1114925
When you get there just say you're a refugee.
>>
>>1114928
How about I subcontract the work to you for €1800 a month?
>>
>>1114932
Can I suck your dick too?
>>
>>1114929
I couldn't get a steady job because I've been doing a (useless) 3 year photography course.

I did photography or video work when I had the time. It paid the bills for a while.
>>
>>1114935
you can't get or keep a job because you're retarded. that you'd study photography is another thing you did because you're retarded, but it's not the cause.
>>
>>1114925
you got 2 months - get learning. Betzter to regret thingy you tried, than those you didnt.

Problem, Germans really are pretty no-nonsense, methodical, and know-their-shit engineeering-wise tho (no cliche without some basis, etc) - depends where you working, if you mostly alone/self responsible? no bother, can happily BS your way through the day. If small crew, who depend on you, and your non-existent knowledge and experience? you prob. fucked, they'll clock you for a nigga comedian in 5, and may be demonstrably unhappy. Large crew, theyd maybe laugh it off, and cut you some slack if you prepared to try.

But photography student to qualified marine engineer? - that is stretching the BS some.
>>
>>1114937
I got a job. I have never been fired from a job either.

I studied photography because I enjoyed it and thought it would make an ok job.

But midway through I realized I didn't need some certificate.
Which is why I started doing photo or video work while studying.
>>
>>1114940
>But photography student to qualified marine engineer? - that is stretching the BS some.
This. How the fuck did you pull that off?
>>
>>1114925
In my experience: wing it. Boat engines are like most other engines: they need fuel and compression.

If you want to seem "legit", mention cleaning of turbofans with walnut shells. (They periodically did that on the ship i used to work on).

Worst case scenario: you get fired and you're no worse off than you are today.
>>
>>1114925
learn to time a lucas CAV pump and rebuild/pop-test/bleed injectors, and a 4.108 in regular service won't give you any grief.

does the job make a distinction of fitter mechanic vs. workshop mechanic?
>>
>>1115149

If he understood car engines he might be able to wing it but he doesn't.

Also a company sourcing employees from outside the country us going to expect someone who knows what they are doing
>>
What did you write on your CV?
>>
I worked with a guy who obviously had no mechanical skills yet worked a job that required them. He destroyed just about every piece of equipment he ever touched. Despite this, he managed to keep his job for several years. The only reason he was eventually fired was for falsifying his time card.

I've seen quite a few people in the trades who seem to possess no mechanical skills, yet seem to be able to remain employed.
>>
>>1115239
>What did you write on your CV?
>>1114961
>How the fuck did you pull that off?
>>
Fuck Off, we are full.
>>
>>1115149
Loose.

I am a marine engineer.
.. Just... Just read the manuals they'll tell you what to do at what # of hours...

And keep records.
>>
>>1115173
Re-build injectors in a Perkins, fuck that buy new ones.

I never looked at the OP pic until now, Perkins are simple as shit it's true.
Basically for them just do the 400hr service. Oil, filter, air filter (clean, maybe replace if it's old ass then just clean the next few times), fuel filter (s).
Check foundation bolts for tightness.

They're simple. Easy to work on. Like I said, it's all in the manuals. Hours of what to do and when to do it, and step by step on how to do it.
Keep records

&Lock out/tag during work
>>
>>1115446

This.

OP, most serious jobs will tell you what to do.

30 diesel work boats are expensive.

You CANT be the only mechanic if its a serious operation.
>>
Learn about galvanic corrosion, rust prevention/treatment, etc.

Diesel work motors are easy as fuck if you have the experience.
>>
>>1115446

dude boats lmao
>>
>>1115236
not him but as a physicist i know how engines work in theory, how do boats differ?
>>
>>1115581

With boats corrosion and water contamination are much different things than land based motors.
>>
>>1115670
doesnt that just mean doing electrolysis every noe and again?
>>
>>1115671

It often means cutting and welding a replacement steel panel and installing a buffer or sacrificial anode... I'm no expert BTW so take my advice with a grain of salt
>>
>>1115703

I think that's what the welding trade is for
>>
It took me about a day to decide and after reading this thread I think I'm going to give it a go.

>>1114940
From what I gathered in the short phone interview, I will be alone in the workshop.
The engines are Ford 2.4 and Perkins 1.8 and the boats are all straight drive- whatever that means.

I don't know if these are tourist or fishing boats or maybe sailing yachts or something else.

I've bought two books on repairing and maintaining marine diesels, hopefully I'll learn the basics of maintenance and diagnosing faults by then, and be able to learn the rest as it comes up using the internet and whatnot.

>>1115173
It vaguely says mechanic, but I think its a maintenance shop, not a repair shop.

>>1114961
I saw the posting on the job board, and told my representative I'd like to apply it.
She said you need experience in boat diesels.
I told her I have 2 years experience she just went with it.
In the interview the guy pretty much just talked and I didn't interrupt him.

I only asked about the make/model of engines and accomodation. (Its an offsite private apartment and a van is included too)

>>1115446
>>1115457
>>1115477

I figure 30 engines, if 5 of them come in for an oil and filter change in a month thats not such a big workload.
Makes sense to only have one person working.

If there is a maintenance log and service is on a set schedule its going to make things a lot easier for me because I can prepare for things beforehand.

I'm not actually as nervous as I was before.
I thought I fucked up badly but maybe I can do it afterall.
>>
>>1116920

I'm happy for you :)
>>
>>1116920
boatfag here, those engines you've mentioned are on small pleasure craft and sailboats. 'direct drive' denotes a drive shaft connecting the prop to the engine by mechanical gearbox.

easy-peezy. keep the fuel filters clean and the injectors healthy.

lots of online resources if you're stuck on something.
>>
>>1116948
This, those engines are pretty simple machines.

Read up on them, do a bit of google, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1115670

Yeah it'll depend on the set up of the boat/ship.

Corrosion aboard ships is prevented (slowed) down with sacraficial anodes.

Water pumps may get fouled...

Like I said, manuals will have a trouble shooting page saying like...
"engine wont start :1,2,4,6"
and there'll be a list below
1 - key in ignition?
2 - fuel?
3 - loose mounting bolts
4 - Battery Voltage too low
5 - worn cooling pump
6 - alarm not reset

They'll have a load of what could be wrong, and hints on what to find.

They'll tell you hourly/routine maintenance.
What to do and step by steps on how to do it.

Also, if you have 30 to look after you may have to do a beggining shift round (ensure all boats have topped up fuel, topped up oil, coolant, no leaks, blah blah.
And also do that before you go home.

Doing the maintenance jobs won't normally take too long.
Oil, Fuel, air filter changes and an oil change, and bolt tighness checks (common 400 hr) would take me...an hour...and not a rushed out.
Not stressful if shit's not hitting the fan heh.
Stay organized.

If you have to take something apart take pictures with your phone...take pictures at each step.
Then reverse the process and it's back together...no sweat heh
>>
Thanks to everyone here. You've all been a great help.
Between you, and the books I'm reading, I actually feel pretty confident.

>>1116948
Do you know the name/model of the 2.4 Ford?

I want to get a service manual for it so I have a specific reference.
>>
>>1117015
hells yes listen to this anon. take lots of digital photos they will save your ASS.

more protips: put parts you remove from the engine in ziploc bags and label them as you go. (once you know the motors inside and out you can toss everything in a box and not get confused)

keep white insulation tape in your overalls chest pocket and use it to sharpie-label all the wires and hoses you disconnect.

keep a powerful, heavy magnet on a string to fish for parts, tools and keyrings that get dropped in the bilge, the harbour, or the waste oil drum.
>>
>>1115671
no, controlled electrolysis is what you want to happen using sacrificial anodes made from certain metals, eg zinc and magnesium in contact with the sea water. With marine engines sea water is in contact with the system so corrosion will happen. But instead of the engine parts falling off, the sacrifial anode will corrode.
>>
>>1114925
>Trough the EU Employment Agency I found a job in Germany

what agency is that?
>>
>>1118554
EURES?
>>
>>1118554
and which profession you plannin on being qualified & widely experienced in then anon.. aerospace pilot? neurosurgeon? Go for psychiatry, no fucker notice any different.
>>
>>1118539
>more protips: put parts you remove from the engine in ziploc bags and label them as you go

I will advise, rather than bags, use segmented storage containers, preferably ones with individual lids. It's faster than fucking with ziplocs.

But, yes, in general, sticking labels on everything that can be disconnected helps. There's not really any better tip I can give you here, since the biggest fuckup you can make if you're trying to pretend to know how something works is not knowing how it goes back together.
>>
>>1114925
where did you get this job
exactly what I am studying
>>
>>1114925

Op this this is hilarious. When do you start the job?

Keep us updated please
>>
>>1119480
there will be threads everyday

>/BRG/ Boat Repair General
>Today we are going to fix this bent up prop. Any suggestions?
>>
File: the bottom came up and hit me.jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
the bottom came up and hit me.jpg
38KB, 500x333px
>>1119481
>step one: make sure nobody's watching
>step two: clap the dented edge between two hammers until straight
>step three: spraypaint
>>
>>1116920
>all straight drive- whatever that means.
you see that thing in the far distance op? thats the first hurdle. you didn't even make it off the start line.
better fire up youtube and get learning about engines.
>>
>>1114925
>I don't speak German either.
Sounds like a game over for me
>>
>>1119481
>>1119490

I look forward to this
>>
>>1114925
OP, you are seriously fucked.... Best bet is to stop with the self teaching book thing and call around to local boat shops. Tell the owner you are looking to get into the trade and would like to do a FREE internship. 1hr in a shop observing someone who knows what they are doing will be worth 100 hrs reading a book about it. Also you will get familiar with how the shop should look, and work and what tools you need etc. Good luck!
>>
>>1119546
THIS, go around, in person, and offer free help.
Read as much about this in your free time so as to sound somewhat credible when offering help, and to learn as much as possible when observing. Be ready to do little to no actual work on engines at first. DO NOT tell them the same bullshit you did to land the job in Germany.
>>
>>1114925

I did a course about small boats maintenance and shit such as fiber glass.

The one who was teaching us was nuts, he started with a shitload of things,bring us a fucking MAN engine that it was worth more than entire building we were on and asked us to search oil,water coolant circuit,sea water pump and a fucking ton of things.

Since it was a rushed thing like 9 hours nearly non stop per day for 4 months saturday included,after a week he gave us more engines,tools,a maintenance manual and an assembly one and he asked us to disassemble them,clean,do a report for broken parts or for parts that needed to be replaced etc

After a month we were able to do nearly everything but since we were not supposed to do whatever he teached us at the end during the examination we just changed the oil,replaced filters and fixed up the effin fuel pump.

Engines alone are not that hard to understand,before that I worked as both interior and exterior carpenter at Perini,Azimuth,Overmarine and Benetti yards and my knowledge of those things was just null.
>>
>>1119481

Yea it'll be great. /DIY is a slow board and op is gonna get himself into so much shit
>>
>>1119481
this will be some great content
>>
First thing first, i dont know how the fuck and who the fuck would take you as a worker on such demanding job without taking your diplomas checked. Its imposible because im from germany. Second, you are screwed because here you have to work-work really hard, plus they will expect that you are some kind of a engeneer or self trained expert so they gave you 4k€.
Personally, thats some deeeep shit you got yourself into.
>>
>>1119559
>I worked as both interior and exterior carpenter at Perini,Azimuth,Overmarine and Benetti.

Wow thats actually pretty impressive.
>>
>2 months

OP, you better start cramming
>>
>>1118507
>1116948

I don't, but if I needed to I would sign up on Cruisers Forums and pop a request there in their 'Engineering & Systems' section. It's further divided into 10 other subsections, the 'Engines & Propulsions' section being the best bet.

I just did a quick search for manuals and it comes up with some for Yanmar, Perkins, Volvo-Penta, & Ford Lehman. "2.4" didn't bring me any results but then my Google-fu is pretty weak.
>>
>>1118539
>keep a powerful, heavy magnet on a string to fish for parts, tools and keyrings that get dropped in the bilge, the harbour, or the waste oil drum.

At the end of the day you fish up your tools from the bilge.
When someone is working on an engine mounted under deck and you hear the "plop" when something is dropped the laughing starts on deck and cursing under the deck...
>>
Aye buddy most Germans have a good you,ration in English the language is no worry but cram engine knowledge in your brain talk to mechanics and shit you can learn what problems to look for in a week and grow from there in the job YouTube is your best friend grab this job by the horns also German kids 17 and up will be impressively better than you on this job don't worry about it and take all their knowledge
>>
>>1119559

That's pretty cool man. How do you end up working at a place like that? I'm an entry level woodworker and would love to do something with nice boats.
>>
>>1119559
The MAN engine wouldn't have a sea water pump. It'd have a jacket water pump, possibly 2 a high temperature circuit pump and a cool temp circuit pump, but not a sea water pump...
>>
This has been asked a couple of times
How in this world did you go from doing a photography course to getting hired as a marine mechanic/engineer?
How the heck does that even happen?
>>
>>1119546
>>1119555
Ffs do this OP, find anyone who will teach you something in exchange for help
>>
>>1115149
Worst case scenario is he does sweet fuck all on the engines he's supposed to be maintaining and they break down and get dashed on the rocks with the loss of all hands.

This guy had better put some fucking effort into his little Frank abignale Jr remastered act and learn those manuals inside out.

OP go out of town and buy an old shit diesel engined car that has a good Haynes manual. Learn to do EVERYTHING in the manual to do with the engine and keep the thing running.

When you get good at that, start running it and pull random lines/cables off at random (or get a kid to fuck it up) and be able to fix it.

If anyone can, anon can
>>
>>1120741
>also German kids 17 and up will be impressively better than you on this job

So the "German Engineering" thing isn't just a meme and Germans are actually born with engineering and mechanicing skills?
>>
>>1120493
I believe its the 60hp Lehman 2401e which apparently is based on the Ford 4AA engine.

A little blog update;

Been real busy this week.

As a kind of bet, a friend said he would give me his father old Mercedes for free if I got it running.
Its a former Taxi with almost 1.3 million km on the clock.
I gave it a quick service and got it running in two days.

Lots of other work to do on it, but diagnosing faults is surprisingly easy thanks to the internet.
I've had some trouble doing the repairs that require special tools, but since I'll have use of a workshop I'm not worried.
>>
Practice practice practice. You won't be allowed youtube in the shop, you'll have to display a bit of competence (at least until the end of the day when you put the job off till tomorrow and go home and Google it)
>>
>>1123230
I'll be alone in the workshop. If someone "catches" me looking at a manual or something I'll just say I'm checking the torque specs or valve tolerances.

I have no doubt now that I'll be able to do this.

So on "my" Mercedes so far I've changed, battery, the oil, oil filter, fuel/water filter, rear brake discs, all 4 shock absorbers and front mounts, brake pads, air filter, brake fluid, brake master cylinder, flushed the radiator.
Luckily I they have plenty of tools at their farm.

The reason it wouldn't start was clogged fuel lines and bad glow plugs.

The throttle needed adjustment too otherwise it wouldn't stay running when cold unless you manually held the gas pedal down.

Once it started you couldn't shut it off from the cabin.
You had to use the shut off lever on the injection pump. The problem turned out to be a vacuum line that got knocked loose.

There was a bad pressure leak from injector 5 which turned out to be the swirl chamber. Good thing its removable with the aid of a slide hammer on this engine.

The engine was also emmitting grey smoke with an oily residue and my diagnosis was one or more piston rigs are wearing out and the oil was seeping into the combustion chamber.

So I changed the oil again to a thicker one and no more smoke.
It will have to do for now.

After retirement from Taxi service, they ran it for years on waste oil as a stationary generator - sometimes for days on end.
So the engine has way more hours than the odometer indicates.
>>
>>1123383

The interior surprisingly looks almost new.
How can a 30 year old car with over a million km ride so comfy and sound so smooth?

The motor shakes a lot on idle and I can feel vibrations when releasing the clutch hard, so next on the list is motor mounts and glow plugs, then the vibration and flex discs for the prop shaft and transmission.
Then I'm going to open up the engine and decarbonise it.

It still needs starting fluid to fire up when cold, but I can drive and stop pretty well now.

Needs a few more things to pass EU control, but I'm sure in March I can drive it all the way to Germany.
>>
>>1114925
give the job so someone who knows what he is doing.
>>
>>1123386

Seems like you are on the right track for learning.

I do wonder what company has a use for boats with such small engines. Some kind of charter or so?
>>
>>1123383

An engine exhausting blue smoke it's burning oil.
Grey smoke is slightly incomplete combustion. Too much fuel, not enough air, afterburning, leaky piston rings which has a number of causes.
>>
>>1120055

What's the worst that could happen? He fucks up and gets fired. Probably get a few paychecks before that.

On the other hand he could learn the ropes and
be successful.
>>
>>1123383
Don't be shy about reading the book. Lots of professionals read the book or google shit during a job.
>>
>>1123383
>>1123386
OP, I must say I am impressed. The knowledge you get from working on the car will help you with the motor boats, and your determination shows.
Now, a few anons and I recommended you to go around offer your help at local boat shops, did you do this?
Godspeed, and post some pictures of your work on the car, journey, and Germany!
>>
>>1114943
If you were supporting yourself with that work, what changed?
>>
>>1123386
"It still needs starting fluid to fire up when cold, but I can drive and stop pretty well now. "

That shit is bad for an engine...

Install a block heater instead.
>>
File: DSC_2639 small.jpg (319KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2639 small.jpg
319KB, 1000x662px
>>1123386
>starting fluid to fire up when cold
NO GOD NO

this now diesel general
>>
The company does diving charters, long term skippered sailboat charters, rentals and deliveries.
Good news for me because sailboat engines will see less use than a motor only engine.

Regarding the car; it no longer needs starting fluid since I switched out the glow plugs. Now it starts easy from cold.

My friend said they have been using starting fluid on it for years.
I've been reading about the dangers of starting fluid, and one site said that if fluid sits on top of the piston, it can seep in between the piston rings and bore, and displace the oil eventually causing wear in both.

This maybe the cause of the oil burn smoke. Or maybe is just normal wear after so many hours running.

I haven't spent time with a real mechani yet, but I plan to in the next week or so.

>If you were supporting yourself with that work, what changed?
I wasn't enjoying myself. Photography is a fun hobby, but a terrible job.
It was also a mistake to go to school for something I could have learnt much faster on my own.

I started doing some Real Estate work halfway through school.
First €35 per house - sometimes up to 5 homes a day. A broker would drive me around house to house.

Then slightly more upmarket homes for €600 a day - 5am to 9pm at each location to get the best light.
I'd spend twice the amount of time messing with photos on the computer than I would on location.

Not bad money, but not that good either for the amount of work involved.
And defenitely not fulfilling.
>>
>>1125362
A bigger concern with the starting fluid is since ignition is not regulated like a spark plug, but solely on pressure, you have no control over when ignition starts, so it would be very easy to blow out rings or damage a piston.

One word of caution about sailors is theyttend to not take care of their engines. As long as you are there doing preventative maintenance that shouldn't be an issue, though.

Good luck
>>
>>1125484

>Sailors tend not to take care of their engines

I don't know where you get your info from but around here sailors tend to be anal about their engines and rigging.

Loosing a stay means you are in trouble. Loosing an engine means you have to anchor, moor or dock with out the precision control that most sailors are used to. A luxury that most can't do without.
>>
op if i were you i would get my hands on those two engine types you are gonna work on, get the repair manuals, and start taking it apart and assembling them again.
>>
>>1116920
i want to be you
>love working on engines and mechanical things
>always wanted a workshop to myself
>want to go germany
that seems like a sweet gig and you can learn everything off the internet anyway and eventually become an actual boat mechanic
its like a scene from the 60's
>>
>>1123854
>What's the worst that could happen? He fucks up and gets fired. Probably get a few paychecks before that.

Not to scare OP, but no, thats NOT the worst that could happen.

The worst I can imagine on the spot is an engine breaking (either due to lack of maintenance, or worse, during maintenance) and OP obviously being at fault getting sued for property damage. And then getting sued for lying on his CV (jup thats a thing in Germany). And THEN probably getting sued because sometime while signing up for the job, he signed a form stating that all claims he made were true and valid (which as he said was not the case). Thats also illegal, because Germany.
>>
>>1126446

dont listen to this guy. Get a basic insurance with any bank (i recommend Sparkasse, they cover up to 90% of work-related damage up to 2million for about 10 bucks a month). You can get it with your job contract and a residence form that you'll get once the firm gives you the place to stay.

Try to learn as much as you can in the meantime and wing it at the beginning, play the foreign card a bit and ask as much as you can, they prefer that to doing whatever the fuck u want and break things. That's what i did and had no problems been here for half a year now and no plans to come back

the most important thing i would say is the german, these fuckers dont even look at you if you dont at least try to say it in their retarded language. Start watching vids on youtube or some shit and try to get as fluid as possible in the time you have. I did a 3month course before i got here and happy as a clam
>>
>>1126455
insurance wont cover Urkundenfälschung. probably not even grobe Fahrlässigkeit, which this most definitely IS.
>>
>>1126446
>>1126461
Meine Herrn, he ain´t lied a shit _in writing_ till now, at least, AFAIK, nor should he, where avoidable. Therefore, he has no legal problem, and, I doubt hes worth a lawsuit anyway.

/diy/ got his back on any minor mechanical problems which may lay outwith the extent of his current knowlege, this at least for a few weeks till he gets accustomed to the specifics of his new role. So, the fact that he doesnt speak the language and obviously hasnt a clue what the fuck hes doing by side, I see no problems which are not resolvable. OP is enthusiastic- and, enthusiasm, that goes a long way.
>>
>>1114925
OP you're going to die the moment you try to bluff your way through skimming a head. fucking up a motor by not servicing it properly is going to embarrass the company quite a bit when it fucks up at sea and they need to pay to have it towed back.
>>
>>1126581
He'll be fine, they'll have him shadow someone for a while if they're worth their salt.

If they're not, whelp lifeboats getting called a few times and someone's getting done for negligence (but probably OPs employer for hiring him)
>>
I am seriously looking forward to updates.
>>
>>1122085
Nope, we just have a different education system.
Students get sorted into 3 tiers of schools after the 4th grade.
Hauptschule for simpletons destined to pick up a trade, Realschule for office jobs and Gymnasium for people who will study at a university.

The students who visit Hauptschule leave school at ~16 years old and learn a trade.
The trade is taught in a hybrid system, with the students working at private companies, while also taking theoretical classes at government-run trade schools.

They're dumb as a brick when it comes to things other than their trade, but they're pretty competent at what they're doing.
>>
>>1114925
YouTube it
>>
>>1114925
>I will be a boat mechanic looking after a fleet of 30 diesel engined boats.
Change the oil will be 80% of your job.
Watch some youtube videos on diesel engines.

also, how big are these engines? If they are large you probably won't be the only one working on them, you learn from others.
>>
>>1128446
>They're dumb as a brick
yeah, but its not a perfect system, what with the odd sufferer of 'native intelligence' slipping through the caste gap. They could just improve the embryo selection and curation system, depriving the Hauptschuler Eggs of Oxygen (stops brain development) and introduce them to alcohol, pil and TV/vidya addiction in pre-birth, prevent them becoming troublesomly thoughtful in Aarbeiterphase. Ah, Brave New Fatherland!.
>>
>>1128495
>t. Prole

But seriously, our system works pretty well despite the obvious injustices.
Both the working class and the higher classes know their places in society and the whole system works together to help the citizens fulfill their role in life.

I'm not even joking here. You'd expect a society as focused on human rights as Germany to have a more just system, but somehow nobody seems to notice that deciding children's further role in life after 4th grade is kinda fucked up.

Most of the people leaving Hauptschule are incapable of critical thinking and the horizon of their knowledge of the world doesn't span further than what they hear on tv.
Their education is pretty much only focused on their future role in the workplace. Subjects such as politics or philosophy aren't really taught at all.
Hell, they often don't even learn English. Really makes you wonder if those people are even intended to take part in society beyond working and recreation.
But again, this system is the reason why german workers have such a great reputation for doing their job and not really anything else, such as humor or culture.
>>
>>1128534
As a German there are some points I have to get right:
1. You (or your parents) are able to choose which school you want to visit, not depending on your grades
2. After you're done with Hauptschule you can append one year and have a Realschul gradution and after that you can make your Abitur (in two years) and then go to university.
4. If your parents have low income and can't support you, you receive money for going to university (up to 650€)
5. Maybe most important: an expert with the CNC-mill can earn more money than an ingenieur in Germany

tl;dr;
The system is not perfect and there is social injustice in Germany too, but its way easier to go from lower class to upper (middle) class than in most countries
>>
this is one of the best threads i have ever read. op you clearly faked it till you made it i love it
>>
>>1114925
>It starts in two months.
>I know very little about boats or engines and I don't speak German either.

I like to think that OP is currently learning everything about engines from some retired mechanic, and on top of that is studying german in the evening.
Could be a fun story for a movie maybe.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.