[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here dealt with a pool? i was looking at a fixer upper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: pool.jpg (95KB, 1279x838px) Image search: [Google]
pool.jpg
95KB, 1279x838px
anyone here dealt with a pool? i was looking at a fixer upper house that has an above ground pool with a deck. never dealt with a pool myself, is it as bad as people say? should I run? anything in particular to look for? (its murky green this time of year)
>>
IMO it looks like biopools are the way to go, filled with baitfish to eat mosquito larvae

Pools are SO high maintenance if you have to buy chemical and constantly clean. There's a difference in busting your ass and having fun.

Biopools/artificial lakes and ponds
>>
>>1114668
Chances are the lenders will want it removed before they loan on it.
At least that how it is where I live
>>
File: Dcp_0507.jpg (531KB, 1792x1184px) Image search: [Google]
Dcp_0507.jpg
531KB, 1792x1184px
>>1114668
>anyone here dealt with a pool?
>>
>>1114668

Depends on how much you plan on using it. Expect to pay more in home owners insurance (more kids die in pools than accidental gun deaths), more for maintenance, and more headaches. Those above ground pools hold their value like new cars too.

It's not enough to avoid the house. If you can get a good deal on it, then get the house. It takes maybe 15 man hours to completely disassemble the pool.
>>
File: pool january.jpg (2MB, 2138x1203px) Image search: [Google]
pool january.jpg
2MB, 2138x1203px
>>1114731
im in south carolina so i'd totally use it probably 9 months out of the year, i just feel a little nervous about dealing with it. my concern is that it has this big ass deck thing built up around it that even if you removed the pool, you'd have this large wooden structure to do something with. this is a photo, sorry don't have one of the whole thing, but it goes all the way around.
>>
>>1114852

Yeah, if you think you'll use it, then go ahead. I'm in NC myself. I had a pool like that, and slowly stopped using it after about 2 years. I think I paid 7k for the pool and the installation.

If you keep it, be sure to switch it to salt water. It's alot less maintenance.
>>
>>1114668
>anything in particular to look for?

Check for neighborhood kids lying on bottom. Particularly if the water is murky green, they can lie there for a few weeks.
>>
>>1114731
>Expect to pay more in home owners insurance
that's what people told me too but when i told my insurance company that i had a pool their response was basically "that's nice"
>>
>>1115531

I would check to see if they cover you for the pool. Most insurance companies at least require you to have a locking gate.
>>
>>1114881
the one at this house i put in an offer for has an old structure but a newer liner, so after either fails I'll probably replace it with a full salt water kit. I havn't heard any good things about rigging salt in a pool meant for straight chlorine.
>>
>>1115551
>rigging salt in a pool meant for straight chlorine.
It's not the pool walls or liner - it's the filtration system.
The chlorine generator is connected in-line with the filter return line.
It's called 'salt water' but the water isn't salty enough to taste a difference.
The generator converts the salt to chlorine.
>>
>>1114668
My parents had one just like the one in the picture. Yours truly was responsible for keeping it clean, chlorinated, and the pH balanced. If there is no obvious damage, rust thru, and the liner hasn't degraded from UV exposure you're good to go. My parents had theirs up for 15 years before removing it. It's like doing yardwork, but on hot days they are so worth it.

And it's a great to have if you live in an area without fire hydrants like we did.
>>
>>1114668
Actually had op pic. Expensive. Leaves and bugs. damn mosquitoes wouldn't let us enjoy it. Overall cuck/10. Find a lake to swim in and make the lot where the pool was a small fire pit and chairs.

Good luck if u decide to dick with it...
>>
>>1114668
I was a pool boy for about 4 months when I was 18. Me and a partner would drive around in a truck and clean like, 5 pools every day. Each pool would get cleaned once or twice a week, depending on what the customer paid for. After I learned the job, it would take the two of us maybe 30 minutes to clean a pool
So, once you get the hang of it, you can expect an hour of cleaning once or twice a week, and you'll be fine. I can't tell you for sure how much the equipment cost, but it's a one time expense. The chemicals you obviously have to keep buying, but I don't think they're too expensive. Fuck, one of the chemicals used is literally baking soda.
It's really not that hard to maintain a pool. Now, if your pump breaks, that's a different story, but just regular maintenance is easy and not that expensive.
>>
>>1114852
>my concern is that it has this big ass deck thing built up around it
Just looking at that back yard and the properties around it I wouldn't put much money into the place. Maybe recycle some of the wood from the deck and put up a wood fence instead of chain link?

One thing about above grounds is that they are on a good level bed of sand. Bring in some extra sand, level it out and put down some pavers for a nice hardscaped patio. Build a pergola over it. Cheap, easy, and adds a lot in value instead of a pool. Pools can detract from value when reselling.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.