[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best way to remove scratches from plastic screen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170114_114732_918.jpg (605KB, 1000x2246px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170114_114732_918.jpg
605KB, 1000x2246px
Bought a GPS. Its in kinda rough shape. Want to get it to be as good as possible before i go hiking this spring. Whats the easiest/best way to buff scratches out with common household things? I figure some of the scratches are too deep to fully fix, but id like to get it as good as possible. Then i'll put a screen protector on it, which'll hopefully mask the deeper ones.
>>
>>1114621
heard only about some gradient paste with microgranules but i never test it in battle.
>>
>>1114621

Just off the top of my head, that plastic restoration stuff wouldn't be a bad idea. It's essentially just a clear coat over the plastic. Try a little on an old model or the corner of this screen. Should work fairly well.
>>
>>1114621
most of those scratches look pretty deep - i'd just use as is
>>
>>1114621

Try a small amount of chapstick applied with a q-tip. It worked for the two scratches in my tv screen
>>
Maas metal polish.
>>
>>1114621
>common household things
no

get polish meant for headlights, or get Novus
>>
>>1114855
yeah, thats probably the smartest option. I'll grab some for my car, and use a bit on the gps screen first.

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>1114621
Why bother?? It's not different than putting more work into a used car than its worth
>>
>>1115104
Well i need to buy the headlight refreashing solution anyway. And it looks like it'll maybe be 10-20 minutes of actual work(and maybe only 5 minutes of actual rubbing) Seems fine for a GPS that sells for $150 on ebay.
>>
>>1114621
Post results if you do this. A bunch of us are curious about this.
>>
>>1115759
a bunch of who are curious about what?

whether household stuff should be used to remove scratches in screens and other plastic?

in short no, you can use all the stupid things the internet suggests, but if it is not a compound specifically meant for polishing plastic, it is going to do more harm than good

>spent plenty of time trying to repair library dvds some morons scratched
>still could not get some to play properly even with the right products
>>
Get another LCD off eBay, replace it, bada bing bada boom, no more scratches
>>
First of all don't try any polishes, Those can do more harm than good and leave your screen even more scratched up.

use a filler
a cheap diy option is to use chapstick or vaseline or some sort of soft clear wax to fill in the scratches. that doesnt last too long
a better option is a filler for eyeglasses or for the clear coat on your car just you have to be a lot more careful to not fuck up the application

Fillers work better if its a glossy screen and not matte
>>
File: Colgate_Dental_Cream_ca_1950s.jpg (44KB, 672x599px) Image search: [Google]
Colgate_Dental_Cream_ca_1950s.jpg
44KB, 672x599px
>>1115778
bollocks - toothpaste works, just because youre too stupid to polish a cd successfully, dont mean ROTW has to go without. It maybe an old wives tale, but, its one that works - plenty of youtubers demonstrating this, and Ive done car headlights, wurks. With headlights (fogged, scratched plastic, fails inspection after a while), you need a 'proper' sealer again (PlasticX, or simlar), and a drill/polishing wheel is handy, dont see either mattering much on this though.
>>
>>1115836
not anywhere near consistent enough to be worthwhile

>youtubers
you don gone lost any street cred right there
>>
>>1115842
>youtubers
Our Library of Alexandria?
The Fountain of All Knowledge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g382I8LTdEE

YouTube=infallible entity - I'd admit, anything described as a 'youtuber' doubtless best avoided irl tho.
>>
>>1114621
With toothpaste
>>
PlastX probably wont be able to tackle this. Novus might. I have had some succes restoring damaged turntable covers by sanding them with very high grit wet sandpaper (2000-4000 and up sold at scale model stores) first and then treat them with novus. If you cant remove the deep scratches with novus you could try that but ymmv
>>
Spare screens for Garmin GPSs are less than £20. It's not hard to replace them - I've done two Oregon 450s myself - one heavily scratched, one smashed.

You won't get the scratches out.
>>
>>1114621
Hit it with hammer.
>>
>>1114621
>current year
>buying a gps
>>
>>1115836
I second this. I've fixed quite a few not-to-deep scratches on screens with standard toothpaste. But i guess that OP's gps is beyond esthetic recovery now so it won't do much for him...
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.