[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get more handy and build my own furniture, at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: arab digits.jpg (112KB, 1300x951px) Image search: [Google]
arab digits.jpg
112KB, 1300x951px
I want to get more handy and build my own furniture, at least simple things like desks or a murphy bed. How would I go about learning to do this? I don't own any tools beyond those meant for working with small electronics.
>>
>>1114386
Buy tools, practice
Same as any other hobby.
Why build furniture? The wood you buy and build a fuck ugly desk out of will cost you more than just buying what you want.
Start with basic things like moulding, door frames, etc.
>>
>>1114390
I was under the impression you could save money by learning to build your own furniture. At the very least I could build a kickin' desk, and I'm bothered by the prices I see for pre-built murphy beds going off of that example. I also find it meaningful to teach myself new skills, and my handy skills are quite lacking.

What kinds of tools do you buy for woodworking anyway? I'm a level 0 in this field.
>>
Saw, hammer, and drill. Use untreated pine and then practice and make mistakes. You will not get good overnight and before you know it you'll be turning your garage into a woodshop, but you'll still be making mistakes and learning.
>>
>>1114386
Scissors, hot glue, amazon box
>>
>definitely don't read the other three threads about desks

>I don't own any tools
>save money
>>
You can save money if you build your own furniture. Get some basic tools. Circular saw, drill, jigsaw, some hand tools. Choose a project and buy more tools as you need them
>>
>>1114386
I feel like there should be a sticky but it's all so common sense. But it would be great if I could tell you go read the fucking sticky.
>>
I'm actually in the same situation, OP. I'm specifically wanting to make an entertainment center and a home bar, maybe a coffee table and stuff.

Are there any good online guides /diy/ can reccomend on getting into wood working? How do I tell a quality tool apart from a piece of shit?
>>
>>1115301
That's a meme I can get behind. Just say go read the fucking sticky, then when they come back and say, "There is no sticky," just say, "Lurk moar." I think I'll start doing that as a matter of fact.
>>
>>1114386
Read the fucking sticky.
>>
>>1114393

Tools? For a Murphy bed? Table saw, chop saw, jig saw, router, trimmer, hand tools like chisels, square, tape...

Just so ya know bucko, I've worked as a cabinetmaker for some 25 years now, and a Murphy bed can make for a pretty difficult task for those without much experience...

Not impossible, but it's a big job, and requires lots of fab space, finishing space...

Best of luck...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.