[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've got two fresh dead rabbits here still dripping blood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

So I've got two fresh dead rabbits here still dripping blood and I've decided to make a fur hat out of them. Can anyone help me with starting out, how to make the fur usable etc.
>>
>>1113996
Watch YouTube on how to skin them.
>>
enjoy your fleas ticks and mites
>>
>>1114010
Kill yourself
>>
>>1113996
>skin
>scrape
>tan
>cut
>sew
>>
File: IMAG0158.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px)
IMAG0158.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
Well getting past skinning is the hard part for most people, because of morals and all. You gotta be agressive with them. As for a tanning solution, Alum works easily but decreases the lifespan of the hide, i use a mixture of vinegar, water, and usually some wood stains and let it sit for a week. Just be sure to save the haunches, good eatin
>>
>>1113996
step.on head and pull.

tear skin from neck.
>>
File: i-whip_228589550.jpg (30KB, 492x338px)
i-whip_228589550.jpg
30KB, 492x338px
Obligatory
>>
You'll need more than just two to make a hat, but good for you. Start off with just tanning it.

Skin them. After skinning, take off all their legs. Most of the meat is here, the rest you can give to your dog or whatever. Look up rabbit stew and get it going.

One method I used was to take as much wet meat off as you can without getting too bored, and pinning them down to a board, stretch the skin out as much as you can.

Once it's down and flat, douse with salt. Pile it on, go nuts. Leave for 24 hours, rub off, and repeat twice. Rub off the 3rd dose of salt and the skins will be pretty dry, similar feeling to cardboard. If it's not, one more dosing of salt for 24 hours should do the trick.

Once cardboard-like, take a small knife and start taking off the bits of flesh and fat you left on accidentally. Be careful not to pierce the skin. You might to do this easier on a curved surface, like over your leg or on a pole.

Once you're happy, submerge the skin in a bucket of water with a mixture of 3 cups salt and 1 cup alum, soak over 5ish days, stir it up every day, make sure the skins are completely submerged.

After five days, take out of mixture, give them a quick rinse under some water, towel them off to remove most of the moisture, and begin drying. This is done by flexing and stretching the skin over a fairly long period, but don't wring the skins, that'll put too much pressure on them. Just keep working the skin until it's dry. It takes hours. Put a good movie on while you do this.

After it's dry and floppy, get a brush and make it lovely. It takes hard work, but it's worth it.

By the way, if you can't be bothered to begin tanning them now, freezing the skins is perfectly viable. Just defrost slowly.
>>
>>1114105
Not OP, but that is a great post. Always been interested in tanning hides.
>>
I'd go ask a professional.

One ingredient or skipped step can leave you with fur hide that's hard as a rock and brittle, like skin jerky.

You want it to be supple and soft.
>>
>>1113996
OP. You'll want to tan it without using alum tanning as suggested here already.

Alum tanning leaves sulfates in the structure which will form sulphuric acid over time.

Alum tanned hides start out fantastic. They really do. It results in a soft and supple hid with great stretch and hand feel and even has less slip associated with it. But over time alum tanned hides fair worse than other methods.

Personally I've always sent my hides to be professionally tanned. Its not worth my time and effort to tan and break the hide.

As another anon saide. Youll need more than two rabbits for a hat. But its a start
>>
File: PicsArt_01-13-04.34.29.jpg (114KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_01-13-04.34.29.jpg
114KB, 1024x1024px
>>1114105
OP here, tis was a good post.

I was planning on doing something like pic related, in fact a ushanka. I was planning to minimize the amount of fur used, so it will be mostly thick fabric, outside and inside so only the folded parts will be furry.

But I will take your advice. Going to skin them as carefully as I can and do a little research on the chemical stuff first, that way I'll understand the importance of each step better.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm Finnish and I'm drunk.
>>
>>1113996
Fur hat and some nice stew.
>>
>>1114224
Some anon posted a great instructional on making a fur hat in the leather working thread. I made a raccoon hat with the instructions that turned out great.
>>
Just cut off the feet, rub them, and all your wishes will come true!
>>
>>1113996
Post pics fucking them
>>
>>1114105
>1 cup alum
???
>>
>>1115746
They're frozen so I can't do that. Too stiff.
>>
>>1116075
Looks like you'll just have to be a little bit stiffer.
>>
File: 1456631710496.jpg (43KB, 552x556px)
1456631710496.jpg
43KB, 552x556px
>>1116177
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.