[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How fix? / Household electrical general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_6400.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6400.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
So I buy a house, and after about a week into moving in, I keep finding little things that the sellers neglected to keep in decent condition (as sellers do).

This one is a simple fix I'm sure, but they've managed to rip the outlet out of the wall, and the screw won't hold it there any longer. To add to this, and my own inexperience, there's no internal bracket thing.

So, how am I best to secure this thing back to the wall without a huge mess or making a new hole? There's a stud about an inch and a half away, to the left.

> inb4 someone tells me to turn off the power
>>
File: IMG_6402.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6402.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Excuse the fucking phone with its fucking rotational issues.

Photo of the stud.
>>
>>1113947
>>1113948
Is that how they install outlets in the US? Looks pretty damn nigger rigged.
>>
>>1113953
It's New Zealand (can't you see the plug style?) and it's not standard here. Or at least I've never seen a job so shoddy before.

But hey, some people just don't give a shit, right?
>>
you need to install an 'old work box' in the hole. check youtube videos for the HOW-TO. hopefully you'll find one that resembles to your kiwi socket.
>>
>>1113954
Sorry I'm from "happy face sockets" Denmark, so I don't know other socket styles.

Our walls are typically made from concrete or mortared bricks, so we cut out holes for a installation socket and then fasten it inside the wall.
>>
>>1113961
>old work box
Ahhhhh, so clever! So the "wings" on the back will be pulled in to hold it to the wall...
Thank you!

>>1113966
You have to cut the concrete to install every new socket? Yeesh. The price you pay for a solid construction, I guess..
>>
File: IMG_1228.jpg (123KB, 871x1780px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1228.jpg
123KB, 871x1780px
First and foremost I'm no artist. Second you're not gonna like what you need to hear. There are two problems here. Number one - the wire is only so long so you can't stretch it to the stud. Where the hole is now is where it's gotta be. Number two, the thing about outlets is they have constant push/pull pressure applied to them when used. If it was a light switch you could just rig it to the drywall no harm no foul. But in this case you need to be able to push and pull on it. So it's going to need to be fixed to the stud. This is gonna be some work, but you're a champ and this is diy so suck it up buttercup. You need to cut out a fairly large piece of drywall to be able to access the stud. Next nail some boards to it for extensions. Finally grab a new outlet box and install it right behind where the hole would go. Drywall it back up, apply texture, prime/paint and voila you did it. In the true spirit of DIY you gotta post pics so we can see your progress. Best of luck and may god have mercy on your soul.
>>
>>1113967
Well you can do the good old external socket installation instead, but it looks like shit. I'd rather spend an hour or two cutting and chiseling out some concrete first to make it look nice.
>>
File: IMG_1232.jpg (234KB, 2208x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1232.jpg
234KB, 2208x1136px
>>1113961
You go Glenn Coco!
>>
>>1113970

using an old work box, you dont need no steenkin' studs, stud.
>>
>>1113947
hpm c clip you kiwi twat. probably get them in bunnings
>>
>>1114019
bunnings deta plaster clip

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-plaster-clip-bracket_p4430383
>>
>>1113970
Yeah, see this is the sort of thing I was thinking of when I asked, but I figured someone here would have a better solution.

The problem is I really don't wanna make more holes in this wall if I can help it, and it does sound like the old work box would achieve that for me.
>>
>>1114184
Then do that instead you crusty ol' butthole
>>
>>1113947
One way is to get a piece of wood longer than the hole is wide, but you can still fit it through sideways.
Then fix it to the inside, and you can screw the outlet to the wood.
>>
Use the plaster clip from Bunnings as already mentioned. See also the DIY electrical guide from the NZ government - https://www.energysafety.govt.nz/documents/legislation-policy/electricity-act-regulations-codes/standards-and-codes-of-practice/NZECP%2051%202004%20New%20Zealand%20Electrical%20Code%20of%20Practice%20for%20Homeowner%20Occupiers%20Electrical%20Wiring%20Work%20in%20Domestic%20Installations%20%20-%20Published%2027%20July%202004%20.pdf
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.