[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ultrasonic range sensors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: HC-SR04-Ultrasonic-Sensor.jpg (34KB, 432x282px) Image search: [Google]
HC-SR04-Ultrasonic-Sensor.jpg
34KB, 432x282px
For those of you who have used pic related (HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensor) and are familiar with its operation/quirks/limitations, I'm trying to decide whether or not ultrasonic would work well in the application I plan to use them for (I can get a pack of 10 for $15) or if I need to go with a [more costly] scanning LIDAR solution instead.

Here's what I plan to do: I was thinking of getting a bunch of them to use with my car to display data readouts of each sensor on an OLED display (no blinding backlight, variable brightness). I plan to use this as a parking sensor that actually tells me how many meters I am from an object. Since my Camry has electronic power steering, braking, and throttle, I'm sure I could use this to implement self-parking, collision avoidance, and adaptive cruise control. I don't doubt ultrasonic range finders will work fine for parking applications, where the vehicle is moving at speeds of 5mph or less, but I'm unsure they'd work reliably, if at all, at cruising speeds? Would wind flowing across the car cause the detector to clip and/or distort the ultrasonic sound wave to the point where the signal is unreadable or no?
>>
>>1113753
It only works for ranging out to 500cm... for an adaptice cruse control you are going to want a lot more than that.

For parking at slow speed i think it work well as a distance indicator and a collision warning.
>>
>>1113753

Not good enough, nor designed for exterior use.

Start reading here.
http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/electronics-technology/an-introduction-to-ultrasonic-sensors-for-vehicle-parking/24966/
>>
>>1113757
Thanks anon. LIDAR it is.
>>
>>1113753
>10 for $15
Where?
>>
>>1113761
Based Amazon
>>
Do laser range finders (inb4 not the same as LIDAR, I'm aware) not work on certain surfaces? I believe my LG G3 uses the same technology for laser autofocus.
>>
>>1113753
Look up the new LiDAR sensor coming out from a company called Quanergy. Should be coming out in 2017, I think it will be around $250.
>>
>>1113753
something to keep in mind with the US sensors is that, unless its a full wall, at a parallel, its inaccurate by some large margin. As they are directional, they can miss under or over a target.

these are some of the issues i've had with them in my projects, try lasers, but they still might have deflection issues. For parking they could work. Seeing as using one does not exclude the other, try using both and then averaging the distance.

don't fire them all together, or they'll get confused if you have multiple.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.