[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AND gate acting oddly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I'm starting a project using logic gates for the first time and I can't figure out why my AND gate always gives a HIGH output regardless of the input.

Any thoughts?

*voltage is regulated from 9v-->5v
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Here's the gate's info
>>
>>1113455
you dont have Vcc or Gnd connected to your AND chip
>>
>>1113459
I don't? Aren't the yellow and blue the ground and the Vcc (bottom left and top right of the chip)?
>>
>>1113462
one of your inputs is floating
>>
>>1113465
How so?

Sorry I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff...
>>
>>1113469
You need to switch between vcc and ground for your inputs. Not vcc and nothing.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1113473
I don't understand. Could you explain please?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1113475
>>
>>1113476
Sorry, there was no power in the first picture
>>
Connect a 10k resistor from each input to ground.
>>
>>1113481
Thank you! That worked. I think I understand how the gates work now, I originally thought that the IC already grounded the inputs.
>>
>>1113484
Typically only higher level chips have regulated/buffered inputs ie ADCs and stuff.
>>
>>1113484
With TTL, the inputs are actually trying to send current into a ground (for a zero). If they can't, they treat that input as high (one).

Floating inputs aren't reliable (electrical noise, etc.) so common practice is to have a switch to ground and a resistor to +5V, or the other way around. Switch to +5V and resistor to ground.

For reasons of noise, speed and driving multiple inputs, the pull up resistor (10K to +5V) plus a switch to ground is usually preferred.
>>
File: asdasd.png (31KB, 671x519px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.png
31KB, 671x519px
>>1113455
Welcome to the world of (obsolete but still very useful) digital electronics!

This is how you will want to connect your switches. Pic is a shift register circuit, try it out when you get a chance :)
>>
>>1114857
Oh, and try to find a through-hole resistor pack like these. Makes things way simpler.
>>
File: A09-103.jpg (32KB, 310x309px) Image search: [Google]
A09-103.jpg
32KB, 310x309px
>>1114861
forgot pic
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.