[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Changing LED color on GPU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_4680.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4680.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I have a 1080 SLI setup and I'm going for a black and white build. I'd like to remove the green from the GPU's and I know about the method of scraping off the green using sandpaper but that voids the warranty.

My other idea is to use some sort of optics and glass to make the green appear white.

For example getting some sort of plastic with the right hue to neutralize the green making it white. It could be cut into the dimensions of the lettering and secured onto the card.

It's just an idea and I'm not sure where to start. If anyone has any experience with this let me know or point me in the right direction.
>>
Your GPU is surely using a green LED. Sanding the green tinted plastic won't make the green light white. Neither is it possible to "filter out the green". All you have is green light to start with; filter that out and you have no light.

One option that might work is applying white phosphor paint. It will glow white when hit with any colour of light; but I believe they only react strongly to UV.

You'll probably have to desolder the green LED, solder in a white one, and sand off the tinted plastic.
>>
After watching a video of someone doing that sanding-to-white mod, I'm inclined to believe that the other guy is wrong and it's actually a white LED back there. If you're really completely unwilling to irreversibly alter your GPU, I think your only options are either to cover up the logos entirely (tape, construction paper, plastic, get creative) or remove the LED assembly, disassemble it, and replace the front cover with one that has no tint. The latter option may still end up voiding warranty (hidden warranty stickers getting ripped, I dunno?), so if I were you and I really wanted to keep warranty I would just cover up those LEDs.

As for a filter, the other guy is right; all you've really got is green light and you need all the colors in the visible light spectrum to make white light, so you can't really shift the colors or anything.
>>
>>1113282
you need red, green, and blue to make white

you already have green

find some nonlinear materials or combination of materials to convert green to red and green to blue
>>
>>1113297
OP here. The LED is white but shines through the lettering that is painted green. Scraping off the green is what most people do but I'd rather not void warranty.
>>
File: IMG_4681.jpg (125KB, 1008x1008px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4681.jpg
125KB, 1008x1008px
>>1113304
Wouldn't I just need the opposite of green which is red to cancel out the green?

That would leave it with a white color after it passes through the red filter. I'm just not sure what exactly I could use as a filter and it would have to be red.

At least that's what I think should work.

One other issue might be making sure it's the exact opposite of the green I have to ensure it cancels it out correctly without leaving some sort of hue.
>>
>>1113392

With lighting you're dealing with additive color, so you'd need to exactly match the green with enough red AND blue light to make white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color

You're thinking of a subtractive color system, which models how paint pigments mix. Mixing green and red in a subtractive system will give you black.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_color
>>
>>1113395
Hmmmm ok. Does anyone know of any thin filaments or lenses that are transparent but are a certain color. It seems like I would just layer the red and blue on top of the green. Once the light passes through them all it would come out white. Though it would probably be faded. I'm sure it's not that simple either.
>>
>>1113401
The green filter already gets rid of most of the red and blue. Don't think getting it back is that simple.
>>
>>1113404
Either you are trolling or quite slow.
In order to get white "out of green" you need to add a red and blue light. There is no passing through multiple filters getting something that's not there in the first place.
>>
>>1113411
Yeah that post confused me. I am trying to use some sort of filter though. I'm not adding more LED's to get a white light. I'm trying to turn the green letters white by having the light pass through a red and blue filter to make it come out white.
>>
>>1113430
That's not how it works, but go and try just so you prove it to yourself.

If I were you I'd just do a black and green setup
>>
>>1113430

It doesn't work that way brah. You've got a fundamental misunderstanding of how this stuff works.

White light contains all colors. Do an image search for a prism. The prism splits the white light into all its component colors.

When you pass white light through a green filter you are SUBTRACTING all colors except for that particular shade of green. If you pass green light through a red filter you will SUBTRACT all colors except that particular shade of red. The problem is that the green light has no red component, so if you stick a red filter on top of a green filter then you won't get any light passing through (black).

You can't get white light by adding more filters. Filters subtract light. You can only get white light by adding more light bulbs.

The only reasonable way to achieve what you want is to remove the green filter that's already on the device.
>>
It looks like the bit with the transparent plastic is an individual part. Take it off and DIY a replacement.
>>
>It doesn't work that way brah.

dont listen to these negative nancys. it's possible to get white out of any visible color, as well as IR and UV, using phosphorescent plastic. it's how white LEDs work: they're blue with a phosphor coating.
>>
>>1113557
not post subtractive filtering on a fucking LED it fucking aint, you fucking mongoose. Those wavelengths you are seeking? they aint there.
>>
>>1113282

Should have gone full watercooled.

The EVGA GTX 1080 Hydrocopper has full RGB lighting that is easily set to any color with software.
>>
File: phosporescenc.gif (2KB, 320x255px) Image search: [Google]
phosporescenc.gif
2KB, 320x255px
>>1113562
>Those wavelengths you are seeking? they aint there.

right, the wavelengths arent there to start with, but they're created by the phosphorescence process of converting energy to light.
>>
>>1113557
blue has a very short wavelength. the phosphor absorbs some of the blue light and emits yellow light. the two colors mix to appear white to the eye.
so there are two important parts, the mixture that APPEARS white to the eye and secondly the emission from the phosphor is at a longer wavelegth than the excitation wavelength.

if you excite a phosphor with e.g. I.R. then its going to emit in far IR or something. it's not going to emit anything white because 1) it doesn't have the energy to pump electron levels far enough for them to decay releasing anything visible. 2) I.R. doesn't mix with anything to make white light because its invisible.

if you want to invent a two photon absorbing mechanism inside an led T5 package then you should probably do it then write a fucking paper on it because there are a whole lot of people who will be might interested to read it.

>>1113657
oh whoops maybe you should actually read and learn about this stuff because its kind of interesting actually.
>>
File: 1352531640932.jpg (154KB, 1000x1310px) Image search: [Google]
1352531640932.jpg
154KB, 1000x1310px
Christ. This has got to be one of the dumbest threads I've seen in a while. You can't "filter" a green led to make it white, and you can't add a phosphorus coating unless you really want red light coming out.

You have two choices OP.
Option 1:carefully disassemble the enclosure, remove the green led and replace it with a white led, then hope that you don't electrically destroy that section of the card because of your fat little hot dog fingers and terrible smt soldering skills. Also, a white led has a higher voltage drop than a green led, which the card designer probably didn't account for.

Option 2: just put a piece of electrical tape over the logo, blocking the light and making it black. You did say that you want a black and white system. Electrical tape is black. Seems like a pretty good solution.
>>
>>1113714
I could make OPs 'green' LED white. I know a trick.
>>
>>1113714
What she said. Go with option 2.
>>
File: 1469120554147.png (151KB, 449x442px) Image search: [Google]
1469120554147.png
151KB, 449x442px
>>1113714
>someone was paid to write this
>someone bought this
>>
File: IMG_4190.jpg (66KB, 529x529px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4190.jpg
66KB, 529x529px
>>1113714
OP here....

The LED itself is white. The coating on the letters is green, because once you rub that off its white and then black.

https://youtu.be/7kZrk692qzQ

I'm not putting electrical tape on my GPU's because I can just turn off the lights using NVIDIA control panel.

It seems like everyone has their own idea of how optics and light work and I'm too stupid to sort the bullshit from the facts.
>>
>>1113814
>someone's education will be based on it
>>
>>1113304
There are such things as white LEDs. What you are describing is a color changing LED that is set to white. Since this is only ever going to be green, it is more than likely they only put a white LED in there, with a green filter on the plastic.
>>
>>1113987
So here is what you can do, the only two colors you are going to be able to get out of this if you don't sand it down are blue and yellow, and both will not be as bright as the green. If you want blue put a blue filter over it if you want yellow put a yellow filter over it. If you put a red filter over it it will show up as a very dull black.

My suggestion to you would be to try and take the filter off completely, and if something goes wrong with the card glue it back in, so it looks like you never changed it.
>>
>>1114034
>someone
a whole shitload of someones
>>
>>1113987
I'm not saying the led isn't white, but if it is that's pretty stupid. We have already established that white leds are blue and yellow. There isn't very much green in the spectrum. Green leds exist, they were pretty early on in led history to be invented, one of the first I think.
And they are cheap too. So it doesn't make much sense to do immediately but perhaps there is an interesting reason. Do they use the same board for other cards with different colours? Even then its not much of a reason.
>>
>>1113282
You have bigger problems than the color of an LED if you're willing to ruin a gfx card (not a GPU, that is a small chip sits inside it) because it's the "wrong color".

For instance a lack of understanding of what you're fucking talking about.
>>
I've done this before OP,
It's a white LED
All I did was sand the paint off
>>
>>1114252
I'm probably going to go with that at this point. I could repaint the letters green to not void the warranty in case I have to send them in for a fix.

Not sure if I could get away with that or what type of paint to use.
>>
>>1114494
You're willing to destroy your graphics card for vanity, but worried about the fucking warranty? You're a goddamn poser. If you were going to make some interesting casemod, I might have been supportive, but you just get hung up on how to destroy a perfectly good piece of equipment because you need to show off your fucking bad sense of judgement.

You obviously have next to no experience with modifying these things, hell, have you even set a water cooling block to one before? Do you know what a circuit board looks like, or is your technical knowledge limited to the brands and numbers of your electronic duplo blocks?

You're fucking retarded if you think translucent colored plastic in a mass produced piece is painted. I'll bet you a thousand bucks it's just cast with colored plastic, if it's not just a green LED, which would make infinitely much more sense than filtering a white one. Those LEDs are also tiny and hard to desolder unless you're already a pro at fine soldering. Which I can't for the life of me believe you are.

Delete this dumb thread. Sage.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.