[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Desk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

File: na0mKj4.jpg (3MB, 4752x3168px) Image search: [Google]
na0mKj4.jpg
3MB, 4752x3168px
I'm going to /diy/ my own desk this summer, and was just looking for some suggestions and ideas.

Right now, the extent of my plans are that it'll be around 7' x 3' and rock solid. I'll be making due with a circular saw+Kreg rip guide since I don't have a table saw, but other than that I'm set tool-wise.

Y'all got any ideas or suggestions on how to go about things? Free-standing versus wall mounted, how thick it should be, if I should reinforce the edges, MDF vs plywood, how to do cable management, should I mount power outlets and USB ports, should I make it fixed/adjustable/sit-stand height, etc. What do you guys like and dislike about your current desks? Should I include drawers? I think my biggest sticking points are how to determine the correct height if it's not adjustable, and how I should finish the top. I want it to be waterproof, but I also want it not to be sticky/tacky(like glass) when my arms rest on it in the summer.
>>
>>1112873
>solid
four legs at least 2x4s

one inch thick plywood top with 2 to 4 inch apron

a plywood backing 12" below the desk top dropping down for cable mounts and power strips mount

height is personal preference

the top can be whatever you want

dont bother with adjustable it is a meme
>>
>>1112873
Have you considered using cardboard?
>>
>>1112909
Yes. I decided against it.
>>
go look up all the other desk threads

specific questions are fine, but please don't come here and ask for strangers to tell you what you should want...too many idiots come here and expect other people to be able to do everything for them

>"I want to build a desk"
>"tell me how"

a simple rectangle desk made with dimensional lumber, screwed together, should not be that difficult to make and when done properly, should be plenty strong
>>
File: contemparary desk.jpg (412KB, 2999x2249px) Image search: [Google]
contemparary desk.jpg
412KB, 2999x2249px
Buy two 6' butcher blocks

Leave the top piece as is
Crosscut the second piece in half to make legs
Attach like pic related.

You now have a heavy as fuck, real hardwood desk that cost $150.
You can just buy a third block and throw it on the back like a backsplash if you want to brace the legs.

Its contemporary
>>
simplicity is key usually. tabletop and 4 legs of solid wood. basically a dinner table
>>
>>1112873
Make it from pallets.
>>
File: palety_tekturowe.jpg (90KB, 922x327px) Image search: [Google]
palety_tekturowe.jpg
90KB, 922x327px
>>1112909
OMFG your fucking brilliant.

>>1112873
Make it from cardboard pallets.
>>
File: boots 008.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
boots 008.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
my desk
>>
>>1113323
Holy shit, /diy/ new favorite building material
>>
>>1113352
It's a forced meme. I mean, I'm pretty okay with it if they can force it by actually using it, posting pictures, and discussing how to do it, but still.
>>
>>1113339
>desk
>>
>>1113339
That better be chick fil a
>>
I have a steel Gov desk built some time in the middle of the last century, the thing is a beast and in the event we have a big one (I live near the fault line) then if I can't get out of the house I'm diving under there.
>>
>>1113323
>polish
Why am I not surprised
>>
>>1113339
Is that zesty sauce?
If so, you mah nigga
>>
>>1113402
At least it gives your stuff a little shine :^)
>>
File: desk.jpg (198KB, 909x1179px) Image search: [Google]
desk.jpg
198KB, 909x1179px
Not really here to help OP, but how's this for a design? All made out of 3/4 ply with 2x2 pieces screwed to them then connect the pieces together with bolts and nuts so it can be taken apart easily for easy moving.

As far as dimensions go, the top piece is a 50x38 inch square with a 30x18 piece cut out, so the depth of the desk neglecting the corner bit is 20inch. The height of the legs is 30inch.

Would this be stable enough for basic computer desk use?
>>
>>1114157
run a 4 inch apron across and it is fine
>>
>>1114169
so like a 1x2 around the top edge? or what exactly would be good for an apron?
>>
>>1112873
Gross. Dude in jeans + bare feet. Revolting.
>>
Ikea masterrace desk
costs 170 euros total
>>
>>1114157
ply is gonna feel like shit to touch. invest in some sandpaper and cover the thing in laquer or clear coat.
i'm assuming you're fastening it like pic related?
it'd be nice to invest in a reamer to counter bore them flush into the plywood.
I believe you have to have a very sharp tool at high rpm to prevent the plywood from splintering.
also plywood is pretty bad in bending so you may have some problems there.
>>
File: fasteners.png (5KB, 647x231px) Image search: [Google]
fasteners.png
5KB, 647x231px
>>1115005
forgot pic.
>>
>>1115008
it just came to my dumbass that your sheets are 3/4". theres no way you can counter bore for head clearance on that unless you wanted to do some weird press fit shit on the table top.
>>
how do you get rid of the wood smell?
>>
>>1115154
>grow a pair
>clear coat/laquer it
pick either
>>
Does anyone have a link to the site that helps you calculate how much a desk will bend based on the materials and distance between legs?
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 824x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 824x640px
Concrete is by no means an easy option but it looks fucking awesome when done well, just an idea OP.
>>
>>1116498
I had completely forgotten about that as an option. Honestly, I'd probably go that route if I could, but don't know if I can with the size I want. Casting it all as one piece, it would be too large and heavy to move into place(second floor), and I'm not sure how much weight I should be putting upstairs for something with that kind of footprint. Reducing the weight is possible, albeit a colossal pain in the ass, but just trying to get it into the room wouldn't work. Whatever I do, it'll get final assembly in place.
>>
File: tmp_8794-IMAG0082-1607832120.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8794-IMAG0082-1607832120.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>1112873
This is my desk, it's made from 35mm CST pine and 9mm mdf. It's sturdy as fuck as customisable.
>>
File: tmp_8794-IMAG01241962357115.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8794-IMAG01241962357115.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>1116688
And pic of it stained
>>
File: IMG-20170119-00676.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170119-00676.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>1115005
Finished it.

Doesn't feel that bad to touch at all. I used a sanded 3/4" ply and sanded down the rough edges, then coated it with tung oil. The oil coat darkened the wood a bit and made it slightly smoother to the touch.

I know that there are better ways to connect it together, but I wasn't about to throw down more money than the materials (otherwise I might as well just buy a desk), so I used what I had (drill, screws, hand saw). 2x2s for connecting worked fine.

I had the worker at home depot cut the ply to the sizes I wanted (he fucked them all up by 1/4-1/2", but I designed it to be flexible to a degree so np, except the legs...). Only had to cut the 2x2s and top piece of ply with a hand saw at home. 2x2s were simple, but the ply was annoying. I used a utility knife to cut through the top surface along the cut lines and then sawed through the rest, trying to be as gentle as possible and keep the cut straight.

Only issue I had was messing up the middle leg. Ended up connecting it wrong so that the 2x2s are showing towards the inside of the desk instead of away, but its not a big deal. Both ways have their pros and cons. Also, because the homedepot cuts were off, the legs ended up being slightly off and it was a bit wobbly, so I stuffed some cardboard under one leg. Not sure what else I could to fix it now aside from sanding one leg down (not going to try and saw it with a hand saw).

I still have a bit of scrap ply that I will probably use to make a shelf or cubby. Might add some drawers to it at a later time as well.
>>
>>1116494
Wood is inconsistent and not isotropic
>>
>>1117910
Cool. Awesome job.
>>
>>1117916
It had options for which direction the wood was set, or if it was plywood, and if it was the nice stuff or the cheap stuff.
>>
>>1114948
>can't fit three monitors
What do you take me for
>>
>>1115005

Bad in bending? Plywood and OSB for the same thickness bend less than solid wood.

MDF is more rigid, but it can't cover spans like plywood&OSB can. It will simply break if you try to sit on it without a skirt.
>>
>>1118481
It doesn't come as thick as you can get solid wood though. Pretty sure most office "wood" desks are covered up OSB.
>>
>>1116690
that looks great, but you should quit smoking for your kids anon, dont you want to see their grandkids
>>
>>1118477
I have a small desk that couldnt fit 3 monitors

I said fuck it, bought a 3 monitor stand. My left monitor just hangs off of the table
>>
>>1119192
this, if not for your death, you'll miss them because no one will want to come visit your stank ass.
>>
>>1116690
I have that dashcam
Its not that great, but its cheap and better than nothing
>>
>>1119223
Yeah I've quit now, I was given a vape thing but I cant get on with it so just going to stop bothering with it and give up entirely

>>1119253
I got it off ebay out of curiosity, its built cheaply but does the job.
>>
>>1115154
Enjoy it fagit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCVx-qZfJyY

Would be great but you would need to put some 2x4s in the inside not very hard to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0pxUNo3fxU&t=302s

Little more difficult but looks really nice.
>>
>>1113323
>cardboard pallets

this kills two stones with one bird
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.