[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plumbing redo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: 20170106_214634.jpg (382KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170106_214634.jpg
382KB, 1280x720px
2 questions about plumbing:
1: I'm putting in all new copper pipe to my fixtures; should I put in a water hammer anywhere since it would be relatively easy?
2: I have the origional Range Boiler, should I keep it and pipe it correctly to the water heater or not?

Background:
>be me, handy guy with mechanic/contractor father
>buy 104 y/o condemned house in MN 4 cheap
>code report says redo most everything
>noshit.jpg
>do everything else, pretty st8 ford
>get caught up on plumbing since I want to do it right the first time
I don't want to skimp out, I buy American if at all possible, I do layout to make sure I'm using the lest amount of fittings, etc.
Since I'm going to the trouble with all this, I want there to be no problems in the future (aka water hammer). Everything is exposed so it's not that hard to put one in by every valve and they're cheap enough. Like I said, I want to do this right so when I die the next guy goes "shit, this guy thought ahead".
>>
File: 20170108_171715.jpg (346KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_171715.jpg
346KB, 1280x720px
Here is a pic of the range boiler (middle cylinder).
>note that it's probably piped wrong, from my understanding
Original gas conversion hot water boiler on left (only inlet pipe visible) conventional water heater on right.

Yes I am keeping th boiler for now, I don't have the time to put a new one/forced air in.
>>
Use pex onstead of copper. No point wasting money on copper, when pex is cheaper, easier to install, and has just as much longevity.

You meant a water arrestor, which stops water hammers, which is the banging sound caused by high pressure.

Just put a pressure reducing valve on the main water line. You can do it at the meter outside or wherever the line comes up under the house. That removes water hammers on the whole house.

Does the range boiler work? I'd rather just put a new gas or electric heater if it's gonna need a lot of maintenance repairs.
>>
>>1112272
I'm not doing pex, I understand the economics of it but I'm just not going to use it for multiple other reasons, so just help me out with the copper.
I don't need a pressure reducer (the elevation I'm at the city says I'm good) nor do I want to because I'm the kind of guy who wants the possibility of having the max but then deciding which application I want it.
And yea, water arrester, I learned it as a water hammer from the old man.
And I dont know if the Range boiler works, the house was vacant 2 winters with water in it and I haven't fired the hot water boiler yet...
>>
>>1112284

Are you actually having water hammers? Do you hear a banging when flushing the commode or running the washing machine. If you're going to put arresors on, then the washing machine, dishwasher, and commode lines are the most common places for hammers

Also, most fixtures can only output so much pressure, and a pressure reducing valve can be adjusted to that max cut the whole house. Having 100+ psi is a wasye since it gets bottle necked at the fixtures anyway.
>>
File: 20161211_140801.jpg (292KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20161211_140801.jpg
292KB, 1280x720px
>>1112291
I bought it with the water off and appliances out so I have no clue if they rattled before.
It's all new pipe sweated properly, I'm just saying, since it's all not in yet, would it be good to throw an arrestor in there since everything is open and ready.
I'm talking like 30 years down the road, am I going to be like "good thing I put those arrestors in."?
I get what you're saying about the pressure reducer, but I'm being kind if a purist fag here and wanting as much simplicity as possible/less moving parts=less to go wrong over time.
>pic is new 1" line from the street I put in coming out and up from the ground
>>
>>1112307

Why don't you finish running the line and get the water back on and see if it's a problem.

It's no problem at all to put new arrestors on after the line is run. The newer arrestors just screw on the dupply stops for the fixtures. They don't require any cutting or soldering.

You're kind of in the dark about your plumbing situation until you finish this part
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.