[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cardboard couch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: couch.png (10KB, 556x511px) Image search: [Google]
couch.png
10KB, 556x511px
Hello, im looking into making myself a cardboard couch, basically it will consist of a rigid part made out of compressed carboard and then some kind of big pillow case with a soft filling inside, this second part will be removable for washing.

My main question is about the ergonomics for this, how would i go about designing it for it to be as comfy as possible. What is the best filling?
>>
If it's cardboard I guess it doesn't matter what you fill it with. Shredded cardboard or foam.

Enjoy your non-waterproof couch.
>>
>>1112000
>My main question is about the ergonomics for this
make a few test shapes and test them out. Or imitate existing shapes. It doesn't have to be an existing cardboard couch, any couch, or chair or whatever will do.

By the way, there are existing plans for cardboard furniture, you just have to google it.
>>
>>1112004
the cardboard part will be coated in papel mache with a lot of layers of epoxi paint or some other water resistant stuff.

You will never come into contact with the cardboard there will be a fabric part on top of it
>>
>>1112000
the pic is a cross section of the couch, the grey part would be the cardboard structure and the orange the fabric with filling
>>
>>1112006
>>1112007
That's a neat idea. You'll probably need some rigid filling so it doesn't collapse.
>>
>>1112013
the structural part is no problem, it will be made of rigid cardboard, like, il cut a billion sections with the shape of the sofa and paste them together with vynilic glue, that shit is harder than diamonds.

my main concerns are the filling of the soft part and the ergonomics of the whole deal
>>
>>1112013
>rigid filling
wait, you mean like filling the empty spaces inside the cardboard?
>>
>>1112000
Cardboard will never stand up to the rigors and stresses of a contemporary couch. You have to look at weight limits, weight distribution and most importantly, not feeling like your sitting on unsteady cardboard.
>>
that sounds like a fire hazard desu senpai
>>
File: cardboard.jpg (445KB, 1300x1390px) Image search: [Google]
cardboard.jpg
445KB, 1300x1390px
>>1112037
Are you sure? cardboard tightly packed like pic related tends to be really strong if properly oriented.

>>1112038
most couches are, bunch of wood and flamable fabrics
>>
>>1112041
they actually spray down couches with some flame retardant that actually gives you cancer in the long run
>>
>>1112045
my house has ceramics on the floor. worst case scenario the couch burns alone
>>
>>1112045
Spray cardboard with cancer, then.
Or use cancer-containing fabric for the cover. The cover fabric would be the primary fire hazard in OP's couch, after all.
>>
If i wanted to be extra careful and fill in the empty spaces between the creasese of the cardboard(like shown in >>1112041) what would be the right material to do it? it would have to be something very liquid. I also imagine that the end result would weight a ton
>>
>>1112140
You could fill it with wallpaper paste.

I think it will be strong enough as long as the card board is standing. Do you plan on stacking them closely together like >>1112041 ?

I think it might work to bend the cardboard into triangular shapes that stand up to have under the seat. Then alternate with standing cardboard plate and triangular standing rolls.
>>
>>1112154
>I think it will be strong enough as long as the card board is standing. Do you plan on stacking them closely together like >>1112041 ?

yes that is my plan, just get an actual shitload of cardboard and cut the shape thats in the op a billion times and press it all together in a single solid mass, then coat it in paper mache or something to make it a solid block, then paint it with some kind of smooth non flammable paint or something
>>
>>1112050
>>1112045
also, im curious now, what kind of paint could i use to fireproof this thing?
>>
buy some ikea furniture and look at how they do it
>>
>>1112173
>buy
why do you think im doing this with cardboard, im poorfag
>>
>>1112193
then you're just dumb, it'd be cheaper to buy
>>
>>1112195
>it'd be cheaper to buy
are you sure?

cardboard is 100% free, they give it away everywhere. Paper mache is almost free also

at most i will need a big can of vynil adhesive, the paint, the fabric and the filling.

it will be cheaper and also it will be much better than the ikea one which will have a billion corners and pieces that can get dirty. mine will be a solid mass of compressed carboard with a neat coating, easy as fuck to clean+ the fabric with feeling, also easy as fuck to clean
>>
>>1112196
if you're going to call things you find in the trash free just find a couch, that's the only way I've ever got one.
>>
>>1112200
>if you're going to call things you find in the trash free.

no, i just go to stores and ask nicely, they give you boxes that just been emptied for free, perfectly clean, free
>>
>>1112200
also, i have two problems with buying an "ikea" couch or a an used one, or finding one in the street or whatever...

1)its probably not gonna be as comfy as the one i have in mind, mainly because i can choose the amount of filling it has and it will not cost me a lot because its small quantities, industiral couch manufacturers are cheap bastards and dont care if your couch could have been better

2)mine will be cleaner. a lot of designs i have a lot of corners, open spaces and shit, this will be A SOLID BLOCK OF MATTER WHICH YOU CAN WASH WITH A CLOTH+ A REMOVABLE PILLOWCASE WHICH YOU CAN WASH IN THE WASHER
>>
>>1112000
question about cardboard cutting, if i wanted to make a big solid blocl, is there any reason why i couldnt just paste a lot of pieces of cardboard together and then cut them after?
>>
>>1112209
You're going to do a bad job.
Nothing you make out of paper and glue is going to approach clean. It's going to smell like glue and then grow mold.
>>
>>1112233
only the interior will be paper and glue, the exterior will be paper mache+bondo, sanded till its smoother than a babys behind, then like 5 coats of glossy paint, it will be like super smooth and clean
>>
Lots of cardboard couches can be found with a google search.
If you want it to be comfy use a few layers of different type of memory foam from hard on the bottom layer to a softer top layer.
The benefit you may have with the cardboard is that you can sculpt out a few different profiles over the length of the couch to see what feels best.
Since you materials are cheap, it's okay to experiment.
Of course there are always craigslist curb alerts and thrift stores. Crate furniture is starting to pop up now and it's pretty indestructible and easily repairable and cushions are easy to replace.
>>
Is this for school, anon?
>>
Im legitimately interested to see how it ends up.

Godspeed my guy, i hope its as comfy and as fireproof as you want it to be
>>
>>1112273
>Since you materials are cheap, it's okay to experiment.
yes the materials are cheap but its kinda time intensive, i would prefer it if i could do a couple of tests insteaf of a billion
>>
>>1112240
But why?
>>
>>1112404
so i can have a comfy solid cheap couch EXACTLY the way i want it
>>
1. Cut out the shape of couch you want but make it double the length you want.
2. compress the layers until it's the length you want, meaning it'll become a solid piece of cardboard, with no air/gaps in it at all.
3. Bind it.
4. buy two old single duvet covers and a ton of old pillows.
5. cut the pillows and remove the filling, ensuring you fluff it all up again..fill the single duvet covers until it's basically a huge pillow.
6. one for the back, one for sitting on.
>>
>>1112418
>. Bind it.
with what?
>>
>>1112419
i'd suggest maybe cargo/ratchet straps.
>>
>>1112421
can i plaster over that? or papel mache them?
>>
>>1112240
>only the interior will be paper and glue, the exterior will be paper mache+bondo
so paper and glue all the way down
>>
make a couch out of expanding foam by creating the shape with cardboard and peeling it off when you're done
>>
>>1112724
i dont really follow, how would that work? also isnt expanding foam relatively expensive to use in these quantities?
>>
>>1112724
How tough is expanding foam anyway. This is a really good idea and I'm actually considering doing this. I figure the foam wouldn't be that expensive, right?

I personally don't have a problem with money but I'd like to make something unique without the difficulty of actually learning a skill and this seems like the perfect thing for me.
>>
Base the ergonomics on a proven couch design. Take a tape measure to ikea or go to the library and find a book on mid century design.
>>
>>1114481
It doeant age well. Any right angles will tear.
>>
>>1112000
If it is going to be solid cardboard it will be heavy...
>>
File: frank gehryy.jpg (55KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
frank gehryy.jpg
55KB, 768x512px
>>1112000
look up frank gehry chairs
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.