[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Structural Engineer AMA.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

File: 5ce9b40db8a47f99e07f236e7d2f50dc.jpg (316KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
5ce9b40db8a47f99e07f236e7d2f50dc.jpg
316KB, 1600x900px
Did this a while ago, but lets do this again:

Structural Engineer here.
What do you need help with?
Any questions?

No guarantees, and any advice offered here is purely for information - lets see if we can't stop some anons committing sudoku by way of construction.

Bio:
>Mid-late 20's
>UK
>Working in high end residential, some educational and some hospital work
>I do analysis & design
>Materials: Concrete, Mild steel, Stainless, Aluminium, Timber, Glass, FRP and limited experience with tensile fabrics & ETFE.
>Software used: SAP 2000, ETABS, Robot, Autocad, Revit, Rhino
>Salary: shit
>>
>>1110766
Do the architects ever give you drawings that you just laugh at?
>>
>>1110768
Every day.

One particular architect sent me drawings on numerous occasions with "" PRODUCED WITH AN AUTODESK EDUCATIONAL PRODUCT"" written all over it.

That gave me an audible kek. A big architecture firm too, not a shitty home gamer.

The best one I've had came from a steel fabricator though
>drawings literally done in ms paint
>lines didn't even join up
>bolt holes were ellipses of varying sizes and radii
>>
>be engineer
>laugh at architect
>cant make any meaningful decision without them
kys
>>
>>1110776
>engineer laughs at your retarded design
>b-b-but muh CREATIVITY
>>
File: wallcrack.jpg (1MB, 2304x1720px) Image search: [Google]
wallcrack.jpg
1MB, 2304x1720px
>>1110766

I really needed you 6 months ago, but I got a structural engineer in and it's all sorted out now.

What do you think was causing this? It@s in on the side wall of a semi detached UK house built 1992

The off colour bricks were where in 1984, the same cracks were there, it was repointed, and the wall cracked again 30 years later.
>>
>>1110786
like you can come up with any design at all

>>1110790
settlement or someone fucked with a tree within 30 metres
>>
>>1110790
Any trees around?

Looks like that sill under the window is dropping too.

Could be settlement, possibly water shrink/swell due to inadequate depth of foundations - or vegetation nearby.

What did your engineer say?
>>
>>1110766
I should have got a trip for this.

Proof: Old archive thread

https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S1058858#p1059677

check the trip
>>
Do you deal with architects? Do you think they're a bunch of morons like I believe them to be?
>>
>>1110766
Why did the 3rd tower go down on 9/11?
>>
>>1110822
not OP, but our lecturer of HVAC and thermodynamics considers them to be borderline retarded, and i think he's right
>>
>>1110834
They're art majors that can use autodesk.
>>
>>1110822
>>1110834

see: >>1110763
That post was me.
>>
>>1110846
kek. The funny part is they get triggered as fuck when you call them out on their stupidity and everytime go full "muh creativity" like >>1110809 this guy
I had very similar conversations on /sci/
>>
>>1110864
watching you guys getting 24/7 triggered so bad you have jerk off each other in every opportunity makes me feel all smug inside

>muh creativity
every engineer says the same thing, it is like you can't come up with anything else

unlike you idiots architects dont have to prove themselves to anyone

you can talk shit all day and nothing will change
>>
>>1110871
Hey relax.

I say what I see.
I see that the vast majority (like 98%) of Architects that I have to deal with on a daily basis are at least one of the following:

>borderline retarded
>big whiny babies (literally tantrum throwing, crying while I'm shouting at you, types)
>>
File: cap_rec_20121123_174206.jpg (42KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
cap_rec_20121123_174206.jpg
42KB, 704x480px
>>1110766
How big should a fire have to be (or long should it last) to collapse a 20-story building?
>>
>>1110874
maybe if you practised talking to the mirror you will find out exactly why

>>1110875
there are so many factors it is impossible to give you an answer, for example, is it raining
>>
>>1110875
Given the size, configuration, construction material,, and specification you've given:

about three fiddy.
>>
File: 1307651951001.jpg (35KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
1307651951001.jpg
35KB, 600x455px
>>1110871
>>
>>1110824
Missed this post.

I literally have no idea.
I know that WTC 1 & 2 were subject to a progressive collapse mechanism, but that's probably not relevant.

>>1110878
>being upset about inflammatory comments on 4chan

You don't HAVE to post in the thread you know.
>>
File: cap_rec_20120925_161415.jpg (54KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
cap_rec_20120925_161415.jpg
54KB, 704x480px
>>1110878
Not raining nor windy
>>1110880
With a concrete structure and masonry walls, unlike they usually do it in the US
>>
File: cap_rec_20120805_120632.jpg (31KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
cap_rec_20120805_120632.jpg
31KB, 704x480px
PS, I'm not planning anything bad, it's just a question I have since childhood
>>
>>1110891
>With a concrete structure and masonry walls, unlike they usually do it in the US
How long is a piece of string?

There's a lot of information required senpai.
>cover to concrete
>specification of the masonry units
>what is the building used for
>is there any fire lining
>what is the temperature of the fire
>extent
>where is the fire
>are there balconies or a shared atrium

etc.

As the buttpained dude said, it's literally impossible. Fire modelling is very very complex, so I can't tell you.

If you're designing, the fire rating and cover to steel in concrete will be dictated by local regulations and design codes.
>>
>>1110766
>>1110901
Didn't see you started a thread OP.
>>
>>1110904
>>1110901

You cannot become a Chartered Structural Engineer with anything less than a Master's Degree.

Here you have no choice.

There are other 'grades' available for the awarding body though.
"Associate Member"
"Technician Member"

but none of these titles are comparable to "Chartered Engineer"
>>
>>1110912
Essentially here you can't get the SE without a Master's either, but I have met a small few who haven't. Thanks anyway.

If you were in my shoes again (fresh out of school with a structural jerb) what advice would you give yourself?
>>
>>1110809
>>1110810

Firstly, I meant 1922 not 1992, but it turns out there were no foundation issues, but insufficient roof support and a strange design. There was no dragon tie and wall ties were non existent too.

The installed some steel wall ties, timber ties in the roof and dragon ties, repointed the wall and plastered the cracks on the inner wall.
>>
>>1110914
>you can't get the SE without a Master's either

the fuck if you can't
>>
>>1110918
Ah, roof was spreading and putting a thrust at the top of the wall.

Fair enough. Presumably then the cracking was only on the top storey, with nothing on the bottom floor?
>>
>>1110949
I wasn't aware my dude. Enlighten me I am a youngin'
>>
File: 1.jpg (211KB, 969x487px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
211KB, 969x487px
>>1110992
if you are in the US you just need a 4 year degree for a PE or SE. Some state let you get the PE with no degree but you need a shit ton of experience. Not sure about the SE.

See attached for Illinois' SE requirements. I started looking for California's but their website is gay.
>>
Do you deal with normal people (home owners, residential people) that want to do large additions to their homes? If so what was the most lulz worhty and what was one of the coolest things you've seen done?
>>
>>1111046
"Normal people" generally can't afford our services. We tend to cater for houses worth 2million and above really.

I'll have to think about the answers to the other two questions, but a couple of my projects have been featured on UK television programmes.
>>
>>1111067
Matey, that's nothing.

When you see stuff like "bakery", "guest dining room" and "Staff Quarters" in a central london private house - you know you had better not fuck anything up.
>>
>>1111077
apologies for my subpar midwest flyover large home. I deleted it as not to offend.

I could see those clients either being a blast to work for, or a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>1111094
lel. relax, you didn't have to delete it.

Actually the clients are usually off on 'business' in Macau or Kazakhstan or the Emirates or some shit.

I'm not sure how it is where you are, but here in the UK, Architects act as contract administrators for small residential projects.

We only really deal with them, not the clients directly - unless they want us to get involved.

Client involvement in the design and building of structures is generally time consuming and pretty taxing.
>>
>>1111015
I understand what you mean now.

Forgive my ignorance, but I meant that from what I know from those I've worked with you essentially should get a master's because the SE is that difficult.

I assume you don't agree though. Idk I'm just trying my best to outline my future by asking questions
>>
>>1111111
>>
>>1111015
>if you are in the US you just need a 4 year degree for a PE

pretty sure you need a degree + 4 years of experience under another licensed PE.
>>
>>1111118
If you ask someone who has a Master's he or she will tell you that it is worth it.

If you ask someone who does not have a Master's, they will either tell you that they wish they had it, or that it is a waste of time/money.

I do not have a master's. I am a licensed professional engineer. I graduated at a time that every retard who could not get work went to grad school. Nobody fails grad school. The professors are paid by the number of students they get through (more so for PHDs, but MS students pay a little bit).

I once "complained" to management that a coworker with a Masters degree was making more than me. I am now making more than said coworker.

Make a good first impression and ask questions when you do not know something. Work is more important than more formal education. You should always be continuing your education. I have numerous textbooks and ebooks that I read from day to day.

I am not trying to be rude. I might be biased, but I am more than happy to answer any questions that you have.
>>
>>1111118
>>1111138
also, is this you? >>1111115

because this is me... >>>111092

>>1111121
My response was just to education experience, not work experience, but you are correct. I think some states require 5 years. Some states let you count intern experience. Read your state requirements if you have any questions.
>>
>>1111141
oops >>1111092
>>
I didn't relize there were so many Civil/Structural engineering on this board. We should start an engineer general thread. It will be enjoyable for us, and all of these union fuck-offs who increase the cost of our projects can go eat a dick.
If someone makes it, I will come,in more ways than one
>>
File: stairs.png (721KB, 776x534px) Image search: [Google]
stairs.png
721KB, 776x534px
>>1110766
Thoughts on these stairs?
>>
nigga, you need to move to the US.

36k a year for a civil with 3 years of structural experience is a fucking joke. you'd be making almost triple that over here and have your choice of companies.
>>
>>1111138
>>1111141
Thank you for your response.

This is me for reference >>1111118
,>>1110992

I guess my next question is more state specific, because I am in Illinois would it be more beneficial to try and get a SE before the PE because I'm pretty sure there's a limit on when you can get what. Wisconsin doesn't require SE on most jobs, whereas IL does.
>>
>>1111154
Looks simple enought.

Not sure what the scale is, but Building Control probably wouldn't allow the gaps in the risers to be over 100mm (baby head size)

>>1111155
Yeah, but
>kips
like wtf man
>>
>>1110766
>>Salary: shit
kek
>>
OP, I know stone isn't listed on your materials list, but what are your thoughts about a stone house? Any particular type of stone that I should avoid? I'd like to build one one day, however I'm not sure if it should be framed with wood, or just stone.
Honestly, at this point I have no clue what I'm doing. All I know is I want a house to last, and that I don't live in an area that's prone to earthquakes, so naturally I thought of stone.
>>
>>1111402
The only experience with stone I have is portland stone, and some italian marble. Usually for high end staircases.

On a side note, I came across these guys a few months ago: http://www.thestonemasonrycompany.co.uk/ - post tensioned stone.

Stone is highly variable, so really your best bet is to ask someone who works in it locally. There's no way I'd be able to really give you advice about the type to be used.

That being said, traditional stone houses don't have to be wood framed. There are stone walls all over the world with no mortar that have lasted millennia. What I'd suggest though is that if you're building from new and not restoring something old (already made from stone) is to use more modern methods, or your walls are going to have to be thicc. Not to mention the heat/damp issues associated with the material.

Is there any reason you don't want to use more modern masonry units with a stone cladding?
>>
>>1111408
>Is there any reason you don't want to use more modern masonry units with a stone cladding?

Most likely just ignorance on my part. My dad was a carpenter on the side, so I've always been interested in woodworking and the like. However, in my mind, if you're going to build a house from scratch you may as well do it to last. I was thinking that would fireproof the house, protect it from termites and rot, and could be a good insulator with a stone fireplace and maybe some form of stone house-safe insulation.

Thanks for the advice though, friendly anon!
>>
>>1111485
Nothing is really 'fireproof' to be honest.
Even stone cracks under intense heat.

With regards to timber, if you want the house to last, avoid timber frame. Not because timber won't last, but because measures to ensure timber longevity are probably a little too involved for what you want.

Careful detailing of connections etc. Additionally, bugs love sapwood, so you'd have to go for heartwood etc.

Anyway. What about reinforced concrete? RC is robust, and you can design it to have significant fire resistance.

Clay bricks also have reasonable longevity if you design and lay them correctly.

Also depends on your budget & what you want it to look like.. Bricks are cheap, RC is more expensive, but can offer more flexibility etc.

When I self build (if I ever get round to it) I'll likely choose RC frame, or Steel frame.
>>
>>1110766
Any on-line homeowners' resources for HOWTO reinforce a house for earthquake zones? I've got an old rambler (1960s) that I'm sure would slide off its foundation in a big quake (Seattle area).

I can do the work myself (crawl space is accessible), but I need specs for type and number of brackets to install.
>>
>>1111524
I actually have no idea what a rambler is, but seismic reinforcement isn't something that can typically be done with a few brackets at the foundation of a house.

If it's timber construction, frames are typically resistant to earthquake because they flexible and can dissipate the energy through connections and wall panels.

I have no idea how your house is constructed, what it's made out of, how the foundations are placed, what they're made of, nor any experience with the magnitude of earthquakes in your part of the world. Sorry.

I can't even give you a rule of thumb, because here in the UK (outside of hospitals and nuclear plants) we do not design for seismic. At all. Zero seismic design.
>>
>>1111501
>reinforced concrete?

You really are british .
>>
>>1111524
http://www.asce.org/templates/publications-book-detail.aspx?id=21272
https://www.concrete.org/store/productdetail.aspx?ItemID=SDRCB

The first link is likely more helpful.

Hire an engineer, or nigger it like 3rd world countries and prop it up on tires. I can't imagine British anon knows much about it, he has no reason to.
>>
how do I build a castle for me
>>
>>1111485
>>1111501
look up slip form stone masonry.

its a composite technique. while the stone does support a load, you design the thickness of the concrete/rebar schedule as if the stone wasn't there.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-csxSe9jEeY
>>
>>1111596
3d print one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5Elbvvr1M
>>
>>1110766
We need to replace a bridge that is on a trail going to a lake we fish at this year.

The span is 12', and we drive pickups over it, the biggest ones being 1 ton diesels. What size wood beams would you recommend?
>>
>>1110766
Can jet fuel melt steel beams?
>>
>>1111676
That's actually fairly easy to calculate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%E2%80%93Bernoulli_beam_theory#Three-point_bending
>>
>>1111676
Sorry buddy, long day at work. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Pretty simple, what sort of timbers are you using? Spruce? fir?
>>
>>1110766
What is the best way to build something on "floating soil/sand"? I'm talking about building say a 10'x10' structure in the middle of a swamp. I was thinking piers of some sort would be best. But the water table is close to the ground and if I where to try to go past it.. It would be really deep. My next idea would be a solid 8 or 10 inch foundation.. Ideas?
>>
>>1112128
Spruce
>>
>>1112145
I think piers is your best idea, depending on location you would have to go a few feet to get past frost line anyway.

If water is deep you my need to pour around your pier.
>>
File: 20161102_173521.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_173521.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
I have a 100 year old house with a failing foundation and I can't afford to get it fixed. (Got quoted 40k for replacement). Is there anything I can do myself to help keep it together for a few more years? It's a post and beam house with a perimeter concrete foundation.

Pic related. It's my piece of shit house.
>>
>>1110766
I once got told that safety factors take into account how much a life is worth, and that this amount is highly dependent on the region.
Is this true or were they bullshitting me?
>>
>>1110790
Looks suspiciously like a house I sold about ten years ago.
Was sliding down a mineshaft and had the whole ground around the house pumped full of concrete... In about 1984...

Do you live in Walsall by any chance?
>>
>>1111154
The way that bottom step sticks out triggers me so much, my shin is literally aching just from imagining walking into that in the dark
>>
>>1112627
>Is this true or were they bullshitting me?

they were bullshitting you. there are plenty of engineers who play around with safety factors of less than 1. its more of an indication of the engineers confidence in his design.
>>
>>1112627
100 psf.

It isn't region its risk category.
>>
>>1112148
Thanks.

>>1112145
Piles would likely be the best answer. Down to something solid. Movement of water is your enemy. The best way would be to get a rig and bash in some precast piles down to something more firm, do a load test on them and build your house on top.

>>1112603

How is the foundation 'failing'? Subsidence?

>>1112627
Bullshit. ''''life''''' has nothing to do with it.
There are usually two limit states for design:
ULS: Ultimate limit state - failure of the structure
SLS: Servicability limit state - ''''look and feel''' - deflection, vibration, cracking, leaning etc. that will not adversely affect the structure, but will scare/piss people off.

ULS Design these days is governed by exceedence probability and how long you want the structure to last.

Take our normal design life of 50 years.
In that 50 years you design for loads based on a 5% exceedence probability for a characteristic (non factored) load, right at the end of a distribution. This is especially important with water/flooding, seismic, snow and wind loading.

The safety factors on top of these loads are still really 'best practice'. 100 years ago, Concrete in the UK had a safety factor of 2, now we work 1.35-1.5.

http://eurocodes.jrc.ec.europa.eu/doc/WS2008/EN1991_2_Malakatas.pdf
Page 12 - probability distributions.
>>
how do i build a house that lasts 1000 years.
>>
>>1110766
do you like dick
>>
>>1113165
massive Overdesign + Reinforced concrete.

>>1113169
I don't know him.
>>
>>1113173
do you like cock
>>
File: 2016-11-02 17.11.28.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-02 17.11.28.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1113151

Failing foundation guy here

Basically it's 100 year old concrete, previous owners have pasted over some type of new cement patch over it to hide cracks which are starting to show. Pic related.
>>
>>1113214
You might be able to sue them for selling you a lemon.
>>
>>1113219
Nah. If the home inspector failed to catch it he is basically fucked. That said, just because there are cracks doesn't mean it is failing. Are there other symptoms then just 'cracks'? Cracks happen, you can't avoid them. It's when they start expanding or one side of your house starts sinking or some shit that its time to worry.

>>1113214
I'd be more worried about the beam that looks like it's just hanging off in space instead of supported by anything.
>>
>>1110766
Why not create a concrete ship? I fucking want a fucking concrete ship. Fuck pikecreate, i want one made of concrete.

Only question should it be made from a light weight almost spongy concrete or should it use displacement?
>>
File: digging out.jpg (110KB, 401x406px) Image search: [Google]
digging out.jpg
110KB, 401x406px
>>1110766
My Local council passed loads of work done on my house as a grant and now are going against it. I.e they put in a wooden timber instead of an RSJ and the front room floor is being held up by acroprops.

I can't find the paperwork with the dimensions on what RSJ specs I need for the job. Would it be costly to get it re-calced?

Also If im to dig up a front garden to put doors in for the basment below...

How much would it cost for the structial engineering bits? Also how would the wall deal with the load? Is it something a highly skilled pro would have to do or ?

If it was too costly, (Quoted £20,000 for the building work, which sounds a bit dodgy) I'd just put a window well in there instead.
>>
>>1110766
Looking to build a cabin this year. I've been debating pier and beam vs. full foundation. Can you give me the pro's and con's of each?
>>
>>1110766

Quick question, but which trades are the most annoying/difficult to deal with when it comes to design work? Which ones also tend to give the most hassle when it comes to following instructions? Just idly curious, and wondering where mine comes in on the ranking list.
>>
from what i've heard structural engineers make shit money and work long as fuck hours. is it actually worth it?
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.