[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diy water/snow proof speakers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage(3).png (4MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(3).png
4MB, 1800x1200px
Want to create/mod a speaker to use on my balcony and the bathroom.
I have a free channel on my Xonar U7 that I can use,
Problem is.
I would have to use a 20-25m long 3.5mm cable which sounds like a terrible idea because of the analog signals.
The second problem is the speakers itself, I don't have a clue how to waterproof it nor make it resistant to cold.
I've done a lot of diy projects and have tools and money, I just need a nudge in the right direction.

>Inb4 fuck /biz/ comments.
>>
>>1109785
You can waterproof the electronics with potting, or just covering in silicone, or just wrap in rubber tape

There are probably waterproof speaker modules out there, not sure

Over the 25 m distance you should just get something to plug in at the location, e.g. ipod or something, but if you have to make a cable you can easily make one from some quality cables, the ones they use on stage are often screened, e.g. Van Damme
>>
File: B1032178742.jpg (15KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
B1032178742.jpg
15KB, 360x360px
>>1109785
Get a wire plant dolly/plant caddy. Put the speaker face down on it and a bucket over the top. Wire bucket to caddy.
>>
>>1109793
Just the electronics? What about the speaker part? Is it water resistant?
>Waterproof speaker modules
What do you mean?
>Quality cables
Kek that's true I face palmed when you said it, I'm dumb.
>>1109827
Looks like a good temporary solution, but not in the long term.
>>
>>1109785
Water only matters depending what ur cone is made of. Controlling the humidity inside and around the cone is ideal for winter conditions. Because if the cone gets water vapor to attach to it. And it freezes. And you play music. The frozen cone could rip/tear/crack. And that kinda would suck. So.. Either get one that's like a plastic cone, or build an enclosure around it thats water proof.

Motorcycle/boat speaker systems are the first place id look for waterproof speakers.
>>
>>1111644
Seconding marine speakers. Ive installed a few jensens on a few boats, some sound pretty nice. A lot dont have good bass response, but i attribute that more to them being stuck in a hollow opening and being in a semi closed "room." You could build a proper enclosure out of pt pine, put some spar varish on it and never worry about it.

If youre dead set on using some other type of speaker this my other idea.

Theyll need to be hung, but not by wire. Use something like galvanized threaded rod, wire will allow the cover blow in the wind and rain will get into them. build an enclosure that looks like the bottom half of a pyramid, same wood same varnish. If youre more of a metal worker you could use sheet aluminum(given you have the right equipment to weld it). Use rtv silicone in the holes the threaded rod goes through. Going back to boats, there are these mounts that look like a square with a side missing, you could use something like that to allow you to rotate the speaker enclosure. Basically, just make the overhangs lower than the bottom of the speaker enclosure and youll mostly be good. Use some very fine mesh screen on the bottom. The screens purpose is 2 fold, to keep larger rain drops from getting to the speaker(lol updrafts) and too keep wasps from making a hive in it. Youre only potential for problems if built right will be humidity, which should be fine. Use rtv in the holes the speaker wire goes through and at the terminals for the speaker. Humidity will corrode copper at the terminals.
>>
>>1109785

Even shartmart has waterproof speakers. Put them in a watertight box, caulk everything up, done.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyle-PLMR41B-4in-Pair-Marine-Black-Speakers/27940293
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.