[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I disturbed some asbestos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6794.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6794.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey all, neuveaufag here with a bit of a doozy. I think I may have disturbed some asbestos around a vent while demoing a lathe and plaster wall tonight, pic related.

I was wearing a respirator and had sealed the room off but I had to leave the room of course, and the asbestos tape (?) was on an air vent which is active....

Basically: how fucked am I? My girlfriend is really paranoid about asbestos and I guess it's wound me up too.
>>
>>1109305
Dont worry, youll have people come in here telling you that asbestos is 100% healthy. Its almost a meme at this point.

The reality is, you already fucked up and there isnt much you can do about it. No need to worry about shit you cant control
>>
>>1109305
How can asbestos be dangerous?

I've had it in my house for decades, it even has the word best in it.
>>
don't worry about it, asbestos is perfectly safe. the whole idea that it's some brutal killer is just jewish bull shit to get you to pay tens of thousands to get it removed
>>
Former asbestos abatement professional here. DESU a 1-time exposure is very unlikely to give you cancer. Its like a lottery ticket, it has a CHANCE to give you cancer, but from a single exposure you'll be fine.

Soak the tape with a ton of water and it'll slide right off. If you're still paranoid, use a mister or garden sprayers and spray down everything that was exposed and then wipe it up with disposable rags.
>>
>le asbestos is bad meme
I line it on the inside of my coffee thermos. The drink stays hot for 8 hours.
>>
>>1109325

OP here - thank you, mein fuhrer. I appreciate the info.
>>
>>1109325

Also - I was wearing a respirator rated for being around asbestos, but did not have protection for my eyes.
>>
>>1109361
Your eyes dont attach to your lungs, so its not a gigantic deal
>>
>>1109305
RIP in piece, OP
>>
>>1109366
but.. eye cancer..
Oh.. right.. /d :)

The problem with working around asbestos isn't what you take in, it's what you leave behind or take with you on your cloths, and what floats elsewhere in the house.

Pros spray/vac everything after they are done. It's a pain in the ass second only to chem warfare training. And even then a real close second.

Basic rule#1 on asbestos is never work on it dry. always wet with soapy water.

However, a little bit of tape ain't gonna kill you. The issue is what they call friable asbestos. The light fluffy stuff that floats. Think pipe insulation and cutting asbestos board with a saw.

There is far more floating about in old construction, machine shops, steam plants, brake shops, etc.
>>
F
>>
>>1109305
this guy knows OP >>1109325
you don't want to play around with it too much but you'll be fine.

however, odds are the plaster was also full of asbestos and much more of a concern than the small amount of tape.
as was stated, keep it all wet to keep the dust down.

the respirator is a good start but the fibers get in your clothing, you should also get some disposable coveralls & boot covers
>>
>>1109305
It takes like 50 years to give you cancer OP there's no point in worrying about it.
t. Carpenter with ~40 years to live.
>>
People touched it all the time before it was banned and didn't get cancer. Only the people who had jobs working with it all day did and not even all of them
>>
>>1109509
Back when life expectancy was over 30 years lower than it is now?
>>
>>1109511
not him but no, 20-30 years ago
>>
That's a lie. Asbestos is known to be healthy and good for you. Studies show that being around asbestos for prolonged periods of time even stalls cancer cells growth.

Source: I live in an asbestal shack.
>>
>>1109514
I was being facetious

It was proven in the early 60s it was highly dangerous.
They banned it as insulation in household products 44 years ago because they knew it was hazardous.
To put in perspective, it was banned before lead paint and leaded gas were....
>>
>>1109522
Yes, it is hazardous. Even then, single small exposure does jack shit. And since it already happened, there's no point in getting hysteric now.
>>
I had vermiculite insulation in my attic and asked here and they all said it was fine to take out by myself and to not get a pro come and do it. Still iffy on that but from reading the thread if I water it down I can take it out.
>>
>>1110017
Grab a respirator and suit and you will be perfectly fine.
If you can, use a fan or a shopvac to suck dust out of the attic to the outside where it can just blow away and not get into your house.
>>
Is asbestos the new /diy/ meme now?
>>
>>1109348
Same here. The other day I just kinda got tired of the microwave and poured some asbestos in my ramen. I was wearing a respirator though while I ate it. Don't worry.
>>
>>1110017
vermiculite is so heavy it might actually be harder to get up when wet. plaster is different. and i personally think the amount of plaster that contains asbestos is very overrated. but when you cut plaster it goes everywhere. not all vermiculite even contains asbestos.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.