[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How wear resistant are nylock nuts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: tmp_21181-images1792126410.jpg (6KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_21181-images1792126410.jpg
6KB, 219x230px
Could they be used as friction joints? Could they last a thousand turns of the screw?
>>
>>1109163
If you need something to lock a bolt in place. Use a blue type of thread locker. Or drill a hole through the nut and rod where it gets locked down too. You can also buy predrilled nuts and just drill the rod itself.
>>
>>1109163
Im not sure about the grades of nyloc nuts, maybe there are real high quality ones.

But when I would skateboard as a teen, the hardware to keep your trucks on the skateboard had nylon locks nuts on them and the axles holding the wheels on the trucks had nylon lock nuts.

Both would wear out routinely if you were removing wheels to clean them or moving trucks to a new board a lot. And they wouldnt used a fraction of 1000 turns.
I havent really worn out any other lock nuts that I can remember though
>>
>>1109171
I see. It probably wouldn't last even if it were high quality now that I think about it. The shape of the screw would cause a lot of wear and tear. A smooth rod might be better, but I can't think of anything that would constrain smooth rods as tightly as a nylon lock nut does for a screw.
>>
>>1109171
Regular nuts with super glue work better for sk8b0rds.
>>
>>1109163
Nope.
Nylock nuts are designed to resist loosening due to vibrations and last for just a few reuses. Past that the nylon wears out.
>>
>>1109177
Can you thread part of the rod then?
>I have no idea what you are trying to build.
>>
>>1109228
I'm not trying to thread anything. I just want a sturdy hinge/joint that can support weight by frictional alone. It's for a case for small electronics (arduino) with a fan mounted on a hinged flap.
>>
File: cotter.jpg (29KB, 450x248px) Image search: [Google]
cotter.jpg
29KB, 450x248px
>>1109163
No. They're designed to be used in situations where vibrations could be present. Not a continuous turning rod/wheel. For that you would use a nut and split/cotter pin.
>>
>>1109241
Ah.. so light weight and holds position.
Torque/Position Control hinge.
http://www.southco.com/en-us/e6-at
Might get some ideas from them.
Though vibration might still cause the hinge to sag.
I've made something similar using a hinge with a wingnut. Loosen nut, set angle, tighten nut.
You could also use a rubber bushing.
If it's light enough you might just be able to deform a small hinge so it becomes sticky.
You can do that by tapping the hinge with a hammer so it binds.
>>
>>1109268
Are they using a regular screw as the pin for the hinge or is it some sort of custom made smooth screw that is threaded only at the end?

Otherwise it looks pretty simple. Unfortunately I don't have any access to machining equipment to make my own screws, just a 3D printer, which is what the case is for.
>>
>>1109286
I'm an idiot. A shoulder bolt would make the perfect pin right? And I guess I can 3D print the joints or something.
>>
>>1109295
I think a shoulder bolt would work well.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.