[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to bend this piece of metal for a project. I put it in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 20170104_113234.jpg (2MB, 2120x1490px) Image search: [Google]
20170104_113234.jpg
2MB, 2120x1490px
I need to bend this piece of metal for a project. I put it in a vice and tried bending with vice grips. This didn't work. Even tried hitting with a hammer in the vice. Then repeated the above after hitting it with a propane torch. It wasn't red hot, but it didn't work. Any ideas?
>>
>>1109100
try bigger vice, bigger pliers, bigger hammer, bigger torch (more multiple torch), more red hot
>>
>>1109100
higher temperatures - oxy/acetylene torch
or cut a 90degree notch nearly through and bend it (or less maybe through)

looks like a piece of keystock
>>
If its just mild steel, build a small fire, get it down to coals, throw it in and build up the fire again, come back in the morning and it should be a bit annealed
>>
File: 20170104_115907.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170104_115907.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1109106
I think it's smaller than keystock. It's only 1/4". It's for mounting antlers to an artificial skull. It might be helpful to know what it's called in case I eff up.
>>
>>1109100
Clamp it in vice put a piece of pipe over the end and bend that shit. Use bigger pliers more leverages equals win
>>
cut it after bending it
>>
>>1109114
>smaller than keystock
Keystock comes in different sizes.

put something durable (more keystock, a nut laid flat, whatever) under each end.
hit in center with a chisel driven by a hammer
if you don't have a chisel, use something hard and small like the shaft of a screwdriver laid across it
best done on an anvil or something solid like a concrete floor
>>
File: ANTLER MOUNT BENDER.jpg (20KB, 659x385px) Image search: [Google]
ANTLER MOUNT BENDER.jpg
20KB, 659x385px
>>1109202
Decided to make you a pic.
>>
>>1109100
More heat, gotta be glowing also heat behind the mark up to where you want to bend it, if you cant get it that hot enough to move with proper vice grips get a bigger hammer or a bigger lever
>>
>>1109105
Yea this lel
>didn't read
>>
more heat and bigger hammer as has been mentioned

or slide a piece of pipe over it to give you more leverage and bend sort of like pic
but instead of breaking your wrench, hopefully you will bend what you want bent
>>
Hold the bar away from your vice so you don't damage your vice with heat. Use tongs or vice grips and heat it up to glowing bright yellow. Then stick it in your vice, remove the vice grips and take an engineering hammer (hand sledge) and go to pound town. Even at yellow temperature the metal bar will be surprisingly stiff, so seriously... Pound town!
>>
hold in your teeth and have someone else hit it with a 3lb sledge...profit
>>
>>1109100
You still ain't bent that shit yet?
Put one end in a vice use a pipe wrench on the other make sure pipe wrench handle is facing rear of vice pull towards vice handle
>>
use a vice that is bolted to non solid surface.. hit HARD with engineer's hammer or if that is unavailable use a sledge ...it will bend...
>>
>>1109100
I was thinking jet fuel, but it would probably just melt.
>>
What you're trying to do is called plastic deformation. On a piece that small, you're going to need to heat it to forging temp (the temp where deformations are plastic).
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.