[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ I have a recently installed faucet leaking above the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /diy/

I have a recently installed faucet leaking above the locknuts pictured. I used plumbers putty to attach the hard black plastic base gasket to the sink, but found that the lip on the gasket is less wide on one side than other areas, so it will not seat evenly. in this case, the left side is resting on the gasket, but the right jumps the gasket and sits on the counter. Will any amount of plumbers putty or silicone correct this or am I better off calling the manufacturer for another gasket?
>>
>>1109095
>Will any amount of plumbers putty or silicone correct this or am I better off calling the manufacturer for another gasket?

its probably quicker to take it out and exchange it at the store. but yeah if the spacer is messed up, get a new one.
>>
who told you to put putty around those fittings? da fuck
>>
>>1109096
Thanks for the reply, I'm new to homeownership and obviously inexperienced regarding plumbing defects.

Unfortunately I don't have the receipt or live in the same area as the store I purchased it from, so I will go ahead and look for a replacement spacer.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1109097
Do you mean putty around the locknut and the water supply coupling? If so, I don't have any there.

Correct the fuck out of me if I'm wrong, but I was looking at instillation procedures and some contractors suggest a bead of silicone or plumbers putty to maintain a seal for your spacer.

Included is my current spacer problem
>>
>>1109095
>plastic nuts
god those were a pain to get off

>I have a recently installed faucet leaking above the locknuts pictured.
where is it leaking from?

are you sure it's not from the supply lines?

>>1109108
you shouldn't have to add anything, the tension holding down the faucet should be plenty to keep water out

at least get the faucet loose, clean off that junk, and try tightening it again while trying to keep the plastic thing centered....as long as it is centered under the faucet, it should be fine

if it still allows water through, try it again with some silicone caulk underneath
>>
>>1109108

Plumber here and not the other guy you were talking to.

That spacer is either messed up or not seated correctly. There shouldn't be that much of a gap between the sink and the faucet.

It most likely moved when you were tightening the nuts down under the faucet.

Take the faucet off and make sure the spacer sets correctly in the faucet, then put it back on, but get someone to hold it in place as you tighten the locking nuts down.

Your other option is to put white caulking around the gap.
>>
>>1109121
Not leaking from the supply lines I don't believe.

>>1109122

So what your are saying is that the black spacer if seated correctly should not even be visible?
>>
>>1109157
>So what your are saying is that the black spacer if seated correctly should not even be visible?

correct, It should "snap" loosely into the faucet and should barely be visible when you tighten the faucet down from underneath.

It's common for them to pop out or move when you're tightening the faucet down. It's why it's best to have someone hold the faucet in place on top while you tighten it down under the sink.
>>
>>1109157
>Not leaking from the supply lines I don't believe.
well how much leaking

if coming from the top it would only be a few drips
>>
>>1109161
When the sink is connected to the stem, I can peak underneath and see water leaking from and small gaps between the basin and locknut and not at the point of contact between the coupling and stem.
>>
>>1109168
it is a constant leak?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.