[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to turn off hot water heater?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Heating_Radiator_0332_DJFs.jpg (149KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Heating_Radiator_0332_DJFs.jpg
149KB, 640x480px
Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you guys know if there is a way to turn off a hot water heater? The heat in my building is up way too high and I'd rather not have any than deal with this. I read something about turning the bottom valve but I don't want to fuck anything up because I'm renting this place

If anyone can help me I would be really grateful
>>
that is a hot water radiator as opposed to a steam radiator. you can tell its hot water because the water flows in on the right and returns on the bottom left. top left is a bleed valve for air. Both of these are different than a hot water heater. in your basement you have a hot water heater that connects to a boiler/circulator which then circulates water through the pictured item.

some guy who knows about radiators will come along here and tell you not to touch it. he is correct.

but in reality it probably wont hurt anybody to give that valve on the bottom right a few turns to the right to slow the flow through that radiator. You can also just open a window. or call and ask the landlord. They are a hassle to screw with if it breaks. also if that is not your actual pictured radiator since its dated 2015 and you have a steam radiator I suggest you might not know whats going on and should leave it alone.
>>
Wrap it in a thick blanket.... should be a low enough temperature that there's no risk of fire, and the blanket will block the airflow keeping the room cooler.... i'm not an expert on these, but I don't think the one my water going back to the systems heater will cause a lot of problems.... he gets too cold uncover part of it
>>
>>1108800
dont listen to the other guy

the big bottom valve is the flow control, turn it all the way to the right (tighten it) will turn it off

the top one is for releasing air bubbles so dont touch it

the bottom one is for touching
>>
>>1108813
You are fucking retarded

Sometimes I wonder how people like you survive daily life without getting killed
>>
>>1108800

Radiators are usually in parallel, especially given that you have a valve.
>>
>>1108800

Turn the bottom right valve in the red circle clockwise to turn it off.

All these long winded, bullshit answers
>>
Of course turn it off at the bottom
But
When you turn it off make a note of how much you turn it off by and when you turn it on turn it on by the same amount.
It's not really important it won't fuck anything if you don't do it it's just the proper way to maintain balance. If your radiator is hotter than everyone else then the balance is probably fucked anyway so it probably needs turned down a bit. Of everyone's radiator is too hot then probably your landlord would like to know because even if you pay directly for the energy use the system is being worn out unnecessarily.
>>
OP here again, thanks for the help everyone this is a great board. I just turned it to tighten it up, is it normal for it to not stop turning/tightening? The heaters are probably older in this place as it's an old home converted to apartments, I tried pushing down on the knob to see if that would click it into place to start threading around but it just pops back up. Will see if what I did has any effect and I'll let you guys know. Thanks again for the help and teaching me some stuff.
>>
>>1108871
Just tried the one in my living room and I think that one works, had no problem with the knob popping up. I think the one in my bedroom might be messed up, should probably get a hold of my landlord if the heat doesn't cut out. Will let you guys know if it works.
>>
>>1108822
And out of curiosity why is this a bad idea? These rely on natural convection to warm the room, putting a blanket around it would limit that.
>>
>>1108884
It takes a crane to get it out
>>
>>1108907
Hahaha thats if youre not bright enough
>>
actually, wrapping the unit is the safest approach, as often these things are in series, and if you turn down your unit, the old lady in the basement apartment ends up with dying from pneumonia.

a blanket is kinda ugly, tho, but some heavy duty aluminum foil, 2 layers worth, will reduce the heat nicely in your apt while allowing the old lady another couple of winters of life.
>>
>>1108927
Where the fuck do you guys live where this is a reasonable system? In my country every single one of them has a thermostat valve and can be regulated independently.
>>
>>1108982
>independently regulated thermostat
pah - in my country, if kald? skin bear and drink vodka. If too varm? You hav drink too much vodka, and were in fire thrown.
>>
>>1108871
are you sure you don't have a thermostat somewhere?
if it is done properly then there will be a thermostat on the wall, the valve on the radiator in the same room as the thermostat will not control the radiator that radiator will always be on so that the feedback loop cannot be interrupted.
of course it could just be fucked.
but if there is a thermostat and you put a blanket over it or turn it off somehow the boiler will just click on and off constantly trying to heat the room but the return water never getting colder. this is bad for the boiler.
just because it looks old doesn't mean the controls are old and shitty.
ask your landlord is the only real solution.
>>
>>1108813
damn thats pretty smart, maybe he should put some ice next to it so there will be some cool air coming?
>>
>>1108800
The black nob bottom right is the normal regulator, used to regulate the flow of hot water, thus the heat the radiator gives off. You can use this freely, it only regulates the radiator its attached to.
Top left is for bleeding air out of a defective radiator, dont mess with it if you dont know what youre doing and have the key.
>>
>>1108813

You crack me up! How do you even know how to operate the keyboard youre typing on?
>>
>>1108871
If it just keep on turning endlessly the spindle might be broken, its normally just a tiny brass "stick" (dunno word) connecting the wheel to the valve, could easily break of turned to tight. Not expensive though, but you definitively need a plummer to fix it as doing it wrong would give you a fountain of boiling oily water into the room.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.