[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Attic Insulation Problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: attic1.jpg (544KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
attic1.jpg
544KB, 1632x1224px
New homeowner fag here with a bit of a weird one. I'm trying to insulate my attic, which is currently (effectively) un-insulated. I apologize if this is a bit wordy, but it's not a straight-forward issue.

Took possession of a large (6 bdr), old (1874) house about two weeks ago. The thing is murder to heat.... The attic was poorly finished (sorry, no photos at the moment) probably about 30 years ago. Flooring was added to the joists, and hipwalls were installed, but there was never any serious insulation.

I pulled up a few pieces of decking today, and found about 1" of the yellow stuff shown in the bottom of the attached pic. The joists themselves are 10".

The second post/photo shows the view in behind the majority of the hipwalls, basically old dirty/animal shit over the original decking. Not a big deal, I can clean it up and remove the decking to install batt insulation if that's what consensus is.

The third post/photo shows the view in behind one of the hip walls.... Soffit, but more perplexing, a substantial (approximate 4') gap between the joists, and the ceiling below. I don't actually think this will be found elsewhere in the attic given the layout of the ceilings below, but it leaves a pretty big challenge to solve in terms of leaving no gaps, etc.

The pictures in the posts below will explain what exactly you're looking at, but I think you'll get the gist of it from this first post.

I would really appreciate any advise on what to do.

Currently, I'm thinking:

1) Remove decking and install batts wherever I can; and
2) Leave that 4' gap area un-insulated until I can remove the ceiling of that room and connect it up to the joists.
>>
File: attic2.jpg (590KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
attic2.jpg
590KB, 1224x1632px
Here you see the animal shit/decking in behind the hip-walls.
>>
File: attic3.jpg (430KB, 1224x1312px) Image search: [Google]
attic3.jpg
430KB, 1224x1312px
The weird gap with joists over basically nothing.
>>
>>1108755
Sounds like a solid plan. Clean the place out, fix any structural problems, and insulate the fuck out of it. I'm assuming its a vented attic design, right? Make sure you have enough venting and that it is of the correct type so you don't develop a mold problem.
>>
Blown insulation would do the trick in no time. Clean out the shit if you like, or leave it there.
>>
>>1108755
tear out drywall in attic, insulate with 6 or 8 in fiberglass, re-drywall, chute vents along soffits, cover the big gaps, blow 20 inches in. done
>>
Fill it with asbestos
>>
so if he does reblow the insulation will he need to lay down vapor barrier?
>>
>>1108847
no.

that would go between the plaster and studs
>>
>>1108759
That looks like someone lowered the original ceiling that was a plaster lath. Hence the narrow boards/lath/ that is remaining.

You have some old construction there anon. Might have to rip it back to studs and redo.
>>
>>1108758

Anon.. serious here... When it comes to rat/mouse turds be really fucking careful.

Especially if you live in an area that has Hantavirus. Get the best respirator you can find and tyveck suits. Don't let dust into the house.

I'm fighting some shit I caught a year ago.. a year ago...
>>
>>1109382

OP here - I hear you desu, I caught histoplasmosis (from bat shit) in 2013, which weakend my immune system and led to me catching TB in Afghanistan during a deployment. Nasty. Took almost two years to get right.

Don't worry - I'm not looking to get sick again!
>>
Tear everything out. Put a thin layer of blow insulation on the floor, put in flooring, and insulate the roof and drywall. You now have a useable attic and your main living area remains warn. You'll have a bigger issue with your main walls and windows I'm sure
>>
Well depending on where you live you will need a bunch of blown in but if you go that route you cannot use the attic for storage. If it is a place where you can walk around in and is kinda big which houses of that era are then have the walls and ceilings sprayed down with closed cell foam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcRPGQoeO9Q
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.