[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plumbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 20161018_113330.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_113330.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
Dearest /diy/kes,

A parent of mine decided to open a can of worms and investigate a leaking water line. Of course being 40 yo galvanized it's on death's door but not total shit atm. I'm debating whether to pay out the 1800$ bux for a near line to be run (probably sch. 40 pvc) but i've been reading about these pipe line restoration epoxies and was thinking about giving it a shot if they were much cheaper.

thoughts? anyone tried it?
>>
**this is outside and would need about a 60-80ft trench, and it runs underneath a house with a 2-3 ft crawl space. Hence not being too excited to replace it entirely myself (maybe just the trenching)
>>
>>1108673
You don't bury sch40 sticks. It is bad to have joints in the ground. Use black polyethylene well pipe. No epoxies will fix and rusted pipe. If you don't want to replace the whole pipe dig up where the leak is, put a piece of rubber over the hole and a hose clamp on top to seal it. Will probably give you a few more years depending on the pipe's condition.
>>
>>1108719
no. you do bury schedule 40 pipe.
>>
>>1108673
where i live the utility company owns everything from the meter to the street. everything downstream of meter is yours.

depending on where the leak is you might be able to get utility to repair "their" shit.
>>
>>1108675
I place 6 to 8 inch sand around my pc pipes in a 30 foot run to the street, it' about 4 or 5 inch in the ground from the sand on top of it. am in Minnesota, so have to keep it from freezing. minus 14 wind chill now.
>>
>>1108673
1:Ditch witch, go just to the side of where current pipe is since sewer is in the same ditch normally.
Get utilities marked ahead of time.
throw pvc, black poly, or even soft copper if you feel like tossing money in it.
Thats just a couple hundred to do, not 1800.
Getting under the footing to under the house isn't that bad, just dig a deep hole outside where you want to go under, tunnel from there.

2: how big is the galvanized, is it all in a straight line? you might be able to shove 1/2 pex through it (unlikely, but could happen) if its 1 inch.

3. pipe bursting and pulling new tubing through there. Expensive and not DIY, but no digging up the yard.

Just rent the ditch witch for a day for like 200 or so, don't get the smallest one either. Then throw together schedule 40 not 20 PVC pipe, bury it.
Cut off the hubs and use regular couplings. hubs are thinner at the transition and more likely to break.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.