[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, do you have experience pulling tree rounds up a hill?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: bad idea.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
bad idea.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
Hey /diy/,
do you have experience pulling tree rounds up a hill? i have about 30 trees down a 200ft, 40 degree hill im trying to get to the top. i was thinking of a winch, but i don't know how i would pick the right winch or sled
>>
>>1108610
whats at the top of the hill?
>>
File: treez.jpg (2MB, 1584x1336px) Image search: [Google]
treez.jpg
2MB, 1584x1336px
>>1108611
>>1108611
my house and other trees. the bottom of the hill is a creek and up the other side is a road but it is inaccessible. i want to clear our all the trees so i can build things and use the firewood and the only way out is up towards my house.

so many fucking treez.
>>
>>1108610
Get a couple of horses
>>
>>1108610
Get an old ridding lawnmower and prop the back up, exchange a wheel for a spool of rope to it and have some fun
>>
>>1108625
>>1108624
what i mean, is that allot of the winches i see are rated for "rolling weight". is that the same as 'sledding weight'?

now that i typed that out it seems like a silly question.
>>
>>1108622
dude, get a truck. any kind of winch would take FOREVER to haul those logs up the hill.

just use a really long rope and maybe some pulleys to go around corners. if you are going to be doing lots of land work, look into a small 4x4 tractor or atv.
>>
>>1108627
I'm not sure but I would assume rolling weight means weight of a rolling car? I remember there was a show on discovery channel a few years ago and it was about loggers and they pulled massive trees up the sides of mountains, try and replicate their machinery on a smaller scale
>>
>>1108628
thats one thing i could not find is winch speed. are you saying that they're really slow or it's just a pain in the ass to maneuver? some of the rounds here are going to be the size of an ATV maybe bigger. biggest tree they're cutting is 48" diameter.

>>1108631
you're talking about steam donkeys. thats essentially a winch mounted to a sled tied to something on top of the hill.
>>
>>1108636

You're going to need a winch and some seriously heavy-duty steel cable if you're pulling/dragging logs up 200ft. Like 3/8" cable I'd assume. http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/12000-lb-off-road-vehicle-electric-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-61256.html (6 ton)

You're also going to have to learn how to join cable b.c that only comes with 65ft.
>>
>>1108636
>are you saying that they're really slow or it's just a pain in the ass to maneuver?

both. having to take 30 minutes to re-set up the winch because it wasn't positioned juuuust right is going to kill any kind of productivity you might hope to achieve.

get a truck. shit, get two.

>some of the rounds here are going to be the size of an ATV maybe bigger. biggest tree they're cutting is 48" diameter.

then definitely get a truck for this job.
>>
>>1108627
weight is a force, mass x gravity.
imagine you are a log. you have a mass and therefore a weight. now imagine you are a human. would you rather push/pull the log along the ground or roll it along the ground? which would be easier?
now imagine you are a winch. is the one which was easier still easier now you are a winch? pro-tip: yes, unless you are a magic winch.
tl:dr; they are different.
>>
>>1108610
You are in for a shit ton of work there anon.

Rolling =/= sledding.. Rolling is for things with wheels. "Tree rounds" have a real habit of digging in when hauled. You have to lift up at the same time you pull or bad stuff happens. This is why most loggers fly the logs rather than drag them.

The other thing you will learn is what happens when that winch line breaks (and it will). It comes back fast enough to take your nugget off. Power winch with a good stand-off and something to hide behind is a good thing.

Make yourself a logging road or move your milling operation closer to the trees.
>>
File: short dolly.jpg (7KB, 355x151px) Image search: [Google]
short dolly.jpg
7KB, 355x151px
>>1108638
200 ft is really the max.

>>1108642
i already have a truck, but im in a pretty cramped space. I cant really get the truck down to where the trees are. they're only cutting down pine because its dead so the path down is littered with oak and cedar trees. a tractor could probably fit down there but im really not trying to spend $1000s of dollars to do this. the trees theyve cut before these ive completely cleaned with a chainsaw and an axe.

>>1108644
maybe if i get an offroad dolly. like pic, but with large solid rubber tires.
>>
>>1108652
>milling operation
lol, i wish. im just trying to clear my property. if i had cash to buy a mill i'd be one happy motherfucker. what do you think about a dolly like here: >>1108654
>>
>>1108656
With the proper equipment (and not expensive either) you can mill. Or at least get logs down to rough shape.
Higher end is norwoodsawmills.com
Lower end is lumbersmith.com
Lowest end.. Harbor Fright... Basically an attachment for a chainsaw.. and not something I'd even touch with someone else's pole.
>>
>>1108654
Google ye, "log skid"
If you have basic welding skills it's something you can DIY. .. and you will need welding skills because these break ..
>>
>>1108610
I used a stone boat. I placed it on the front end of the log and used a winch. But, those were much larger hardwood logs I was moving.

>>1108622
With logs this size you don't need a winch, just use a stone boat and a chain/rope to pull it yourself. Loop the rope around your shoulders. A stone boat with nice 2x4 rails under it will make short work of that small stuff. It isn't as difficult as people here are letting on. I should know, I've moved some massive stone and logs just under my own power uphill without a winch using only a stone boat. At one point I even trained a German Shepard to do it.
>>
>>1108610
In the BWCA i've seen a cabin with basically a small rail car on a small track. I'm pretty sure it was used for bringing logs up and grandma down to the lake. I did a quick search to find a pic but I couldn't.

tl;dr: use a rail car.
>>
>>1108652
You fix this by simply putting a truck hood upside down under the nose of logs. They will never dig on anything because the nose is on the hood, and the hood is rounded and finds its way over dips and roots.

Never logged before boy?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.