[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cable TV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: question-mark.jpg (22KB, 615x615px) Image search: [Google]
question-mark.jpg
22KB, 615x615px
Has anyone dropped cable tv and just have an internet account instead running with an HD antenna, roku/prime/netflix accounts?
>>
>>1108458
Yes. My family exclusively uses Netflix, but after 2 years it's getting repetitive.
We're moving on to the internet TV thing who's name I cannot recall right now, but we haven't paid for cable in like 3 years. No home phone either. What is this, 1998? You don't need commercials at a higher price than internet TV.
>>
>>1108458
I use Netflix and an android stick with kodi on it. In a couple months I'll have two pcs I'm resurrecting also....kodi works better on pc. I can get pretty much everything even live TV although who wants to watch that
>>
>>1108458
Internet + Torrents

Netflix is dum
>>
Not even an antenna. Phuk live TV, only PBS and maybe Ion ever come in since the switch to digital, PBS is online and Netflix has the other stuff (like NCIS) without the commercials. I probably watch more YouTube now than anything else. Also got #Toonmania running on the fire tv stick. I would be running a media server, but the media drive, a whole friggin terabyte of movies, just crashed. I'll have fun with that one.
>>
My tv has no antenna nor cable connected. I watch everything on kodi either downloaded or through addons. There is really no other way to watch anything without getting your brain raped by commercials.
>>
Anyone try Sling? Any good?
>>
>>1108458
I dropped everything including all phone service and now exclusively use the internet for all communication and entertainment. I only use free services and pirate my entertainment.

Network TV companies have one foot in a coffin if they have not started to transition to online broadcasting yet.
>>
My combined tv/internet bill is now around 170$. The cable isn't even premium neither and probably watch a whole one or two channels ( news and food network) maybe every other day so its really a waste of money. Otherwise it's mostly internet/youtube/prime tv
>>
>>1108458
Why the fuck would you ditch cable and pay for streaming accounts? If you're going to ditch cable, then ditch it and pirate.
>>
>>1108458
Cheap ass OTA antenna + amzon firetv running netflix, prime, plex and kodi. I have a firestick on my bar tv and it's crap. Do yourself a favor and get the firetv. I have mine hardwired to a hub along with my ther av gear then use powerline adapters to get to my router. Works great.
>>
>>1108582
can i get foxnews?
>>
>>1108535
this. i have a house phone connection bundled into my router. i use an old 90's push button office phone with an answering machine.

anywhere i can get cable, i can get internet. i wish satellite was better though.
>>
>>1108548
Heaven forbid OP wants to save $40 every month
>>
>>1108650
He could save more than 40$ a month and watch a whole lot more
>>
>>1108458
Yes
I was paying for cable because thats what I am "supposed" to do.
Pretty much all I watched was Game of Thrones and NFL.

My bill had gotten enormous as it was second year into the contract, so first year rates died.

Instead of going through the horse and pony show to get a new contract I just cancelled altogether.
After the promotional rates ended I was paying around 210$ a month for cable and internet. Now I just pay 60$ a month for internet.

After a few months of savings not paying for cable I got a dedicated Plex rig.
You tend to watch a whole lot more movies and TV when you hand pick stuff you want to watch or know you like.

I also share the Plex server with other server owners, so I have their libraries to watch too.

Now I watch NFL over the air, or on a stream. I usually DVRed anything i wanted to watch, so downloading it a day or two later is no different.
I have a Prime account, but their streaming selection is meh or you have to pay for it individually. Netflix is trash, Hulu is worse than trash.
Im pretty happy right now honestly as a casual tv and movie watcher.
>>
>>1108533
Yes, Have antenna, sling and firestick with Kodi installed. $35 internet, $20 sling. Anything you could ever want to watch including live sports
>>
I'm watching Cartoon Network at the moment, and paying way too much for the privilege. I'm way behind the times.
>>
>>1108593
>can i get foxnews?

If you are not careful and practice proper hygiene, yes.
>>
>>1109027
Learn how to use torrent.
>>
Not sure if it fits here but I believe some of you guys will know:

I'm purchasing a $30/mo internet deal from Comcast for a 6-month apartment rental. They want $60 to install. Is it normal for a tenant to pay to increase the property value of the home? I assume my installation will be used by all future tenants.

It feels really shitty. I don't know if it's petty/tacky to talk to the landlord about it. I could install myself, but I don't know about fishing a line through someone else's walls.
>>
>>1109870
>Is it normal for a tenant to pay to increase the property value of the home?
The thing is -you- want it installed. You can't expect your landlord to care or reimburse you for services you want.
Also,
>increase the property value
come on now...
>>
>>1109884
>increase the property value
It would mean the next tenant has 60 more dollars for anything but installing internet. I guess I'll end up paying for it anyway.
>>
>>1109870
They're not running wires through your walls, you dope. You think 60 bucks would cover that? At the most, they'll drill all the way through, hope they miss all plumbing and electrical, and put a cable box in the worst possible spot.
>>
>>1108458

Several years ago. I just don't watch TV period. I can't stand the commercials. I can get it with an antenna but there is nothing on but garbage.
>>
OTA broadcasts, Netflix, Prime, and Kodi.

Broadcast tv rarely has anything on except PBS (which is mostly all online anyway) but it's nice because I like background noise when I'm working and music and audiobooks distract me too much.

I've had netflix since like 2005 back before streaming was a thing. It is steadily going downhill IMO.

My gf and I share a prime account for the shipping so the videos are just a bonus, but a few of the shows on there are actually decent.

Kodi for pirating shit and using some of the less popular apps.

I can also watch some shows online because I have the password to my parents Directv account since they refuse to cut the cord. In return they get to use my netflix.
>>
>>1108474
we have netflix and hulu. hulu gets some newer shows, I don't watch many television shows myself though it's mainly the wife and kid
>>
>>1108593
literally foxnews.com also your local station has a website i'm sure. I don't even watch the news because its all:

Weather which I can get online
Trump is bad or good
black/white people are racists

I follow a small local newspaper on facebook for local news and that's about it
>>
>>1109887
lul you a neet transitioning out or something? some apartments you have to pay to have utilities connected I've had to. that's just the way it works mang
>>
>>1108458
I have the most basic account because all I watch is breaking news and sports anyway, and those are only available on cable TV.
>>
>>1108458
I did something similar for years.
First, I got "naked DSL", a DSL line with no phone number associated with it.
Then I got magic jack. It was a bit cheaper back then. But it worked great for my phone.
And then, I got invited to IPTorrents. Still a member today. I downloaded everything I wanted, shows, movies, music, um, other things.... Pretty much everything was available about 24 hours after it hit cable. I got hundreds of movies burned to disk and stored away.

My total cost was about $635 per year. And I only had two problems with it.
1. my phone calls would get a bit wonky when my torrents were taking up too much bandwidth.
and
2. I was kind of an early adopter, so the phone techs were not used to having a connection without a dial tone. They accidentally cut me off a couple of times thinking my connection was someone else's mistake.
>>
>>1108533
Sling is good. Like it a lot.

Drawbacks: no DVR, can only watch it on one TV at a time. I don't give a fart about these drawbacks but some people might.
>>
>>1111111
>>
What are you guys using for internet only services? I'm with my family right now and our cable / phone / internet package from Comcast is $240 a month. I'd be more than happy to get something like a Sling TV, especially since we don't even use the home phone, but I'm not sure where to look for good ISP deals.
>>
>>1110007
Same
>>
>>1108458

Yes

I have top tier timewarner internet $86/m for 60/5

Sling TV Blue multistream @ early adopter price $18/mo

new HD homerun with a large antenna on a rotor

Amazon prime

And a shitload of torrents

All pipes though a Nvidia Shield
>>
>>1111321
>Nvidia Shield
My man. Shield and PC is all I use.

For real though, get with the program OP. I've even switched my Elderly mother to a Roku.

>2017
>Still having cable/satellite TV
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.