[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replacing dish with antenna for local stations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2673.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2673.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Want to replace this dish antenna with a convention TV antenna. Basically want to keep the mounting and cable runs, and I've clear sky to south where stations are. Questions:

Why are there 4 cables to this thing? Can I just reuse one of them and clip rest?

Appears ground wire was run to electrical panel (it's now been clipped or come loose). How appropriate is running a ground like this vs a true ground rod?

Pic attached is current setup. Any input appreciated.
>>
>>1108240
>Why are there 4 cables to this thing?
Because there are 4 receivers.

>Can I just reuse one of them and clip rest?
Yup.

> How appropriate is running a ground like this vs a true ground rod?
Either works.
>>
>>1108247
Why would you want to snip the others? If you have 4 TVs, you'll want all 4 to connect to the antenna.
>>
Every TV set you hook up to an antenna will cut the signal in half (or more). You can get a booster for $15 - $20 to solve that problem.

Also keep or sell that dish! Don't scrap it.
>>
>>1108252
Yeah... that's not how traditional TV antennas work. You have 1 line from antenna, and then split to 4 (or however many) with a splitter box inside the house. I'm not up on how these dish antennas work, whether the 4 receivers on the dish yield a stronger signal to one box, or just allow 4 boxes to run... anyrate the new antenna will probably just be a single line into one TV.

>>1108247
Thanks!
>>
>>1108273
Really? I see these Dish Network dishes on the curb all the time. Assumed they had zero value.

You can see (poorly) from original picture that the dish is on a gooseneck, attached with a flat plate. My plan is to unbolt the antenna, re-use the gooseneck and flat plate, and weld up / create an adapter for a standard TV antenna pole. Point the thing south and hope for the best.
>>
>>1108275
Satellite TV tuners have to actively talk to electronics in the head of the dish to get the right signals from the right satellites to the right turners. That's why each room needs its own feed to the dish and why one dish can only handle so many sets. (excluding expensive multiplexers)
>>
>>1108278
I guess it would depend on your area for how rare they are. Check CL and see if anyone is getting money for them.

It took me a month to find one here in the midwest. Great thing about satellite TV is they have no way of tracking where their boxes are. Me and 3 others split a 4 room Directv system in between ourselves. Hardest part was finding more dishes. We each pitched in like $15/mo for it. Good times.
>>
>>1108278

They do have zero value because when you sign up to a satellite TV provider the cost of one and installation along with the TV box is included in the fee you pay.

That's why they're always on the curb and scrap vale is worth less than it would cost to drive it to a scrap merchant.

Just do a quick search on ebay and look at all the --no bids-- auctions.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.