[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wiring Ethernet Jacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_024.jpg (174KB, 1600x830px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_024.jpg
174KB, 1600x830px
I just moved into a new place and I can not get the ethernet jacks in the walls to work.

Attached is a crude sketch of my setup:

1) I get my internet and phone service from a coaxial cable (shown red) that plugs into a modem. The modem works.

2) a phone cable (shown green) with a standard end (RJ11 I think?) with only two wires plugs comes out of the modem and plugs into that do-hickey on the inside the wall panel. The loose straggly wires are the ones that are not used at the modem end of the cable.

3) I have a standard ethernet cable (shown yellow) going from the modem to the router. The router works.

4) There were 4 ethernet cables (shown blue and orange) coming out of the switch (I don't even know if that black thing is a switch, I am just assuming that it is). I plugged these cables into the ports on the router.

I did not touch anything on the right hand side of the photo. I don't even know what half the stuff is. I am assuming that the system was working when the previous people moved out.

All of the wires leaving the box go to CAT5e wall jacks in the individual rooms. There is one jack per room, and this jack can receive both standard phone (RJ11?) plugs and standard ethernet (RJ45?) plugs.

When I plug a working telephone into a phone jack, I get no dial tone. When I plug the same phone directly into the modem, then I have a working phone.

When I plug an ethernet cable to the jack, I can not find any network.

Has anyone seen a setup like this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1108137
I should also add that I installed everything on the left half of the picture (router and modem). It is possible that I hooked something up wrong.
>>
>>1108137
>I am assuming that the system was working when the previous people moved out.
>>
>>1108137
>(I don't even know if that black thing is a switch, I am just assuming that it is).
It's a patch panel, not a switch.

Check whether you have internet when you plug your computer directly to the router port.

Then go and buy a switch & patch cords.
>>
>>1108142
Until I know how the system is supposed to work, I am going to continue with my assumption.

I have good reason to believe that the issue is me.
>>
>>1108137
>the jack
Are you only trying one jack? Or have you tried all the jacks in your house?
>>
>>1108146
>Are you only trying one jack?
no

>have you tried all the jacks in your house?
yes
>>
>>1108143

>It's a patch panel
thank you

>Check whether you have internet when you plug your computer directly to the router port.
Yes I do. All four ports on the router work.

>Then go and buy a switch & patch cords.
Is this to replace the patch panel?
>>
>>1108137
are you sure the cables going to the rooms terminate on 1-4 on the patch panel and not 9-12?
>>
>>1108149
>Is this to replace the patch panel?
Nope. A patch panel is just a row of sockets to sort your cables, so you don't have a spaghetti. Don't replace it. Check which ports are connected to the router ports & label them.
Then check which ports are connected to your rooms & label them.
Then if you need network in less rooms than 4, just use patch cords to connect room sockets with the router sockets (patch cord = usually short, factory-made networking cable).
If you need network access in more sockets, buy an extra switch.
>>
>>1108154
The cables were already plugged into 1, 2, 3, and 5 on the patch panel. I will check to make sure someone didn't swap them.

Regardless, that should have no impact on the phone service.
>>
unscrew one of the wallplates and check to see if the blue pair is tied to red and green of the phone jack - blue to red, white/blue to green. they might have tip/ring reversed somewhere.

verify the wiring scheme on the network cables to the rooms vs the patch cables at the box, there could be a 568a vs 568b mismatch. looking at the back of the wallplate should tell you what scheme was used on the patch panel, then comparing the jacks on the patch cables - google search will show you the difference.
>>
also is it safe to assume you know how to set up a router with dhcp etc?
>>
>When I plug an ethernet cable to the jack, I can not find any network
Be more exact about this part, ignore the internet and the modem for now. Plug your PC directly into the router and make sure the configuration is correct and ping the router from your PC. Also note how the port on the router interface lights up when there is a connection between the PC and router. If that all works then move the same PC to the wall jacks and try to ping the router using the same configuration & observe the router light. If it doesn't ping and the router port light doesn't go on then either you've plugged in to the wrong jack or there's a wiring issue behind the wall.

Phone is a separate issue - that wiring block could just be jacked up. I think it's even less likely to assume phone was already working for the previous tenant, because nobody even uses a phone line anymore.
>>
>>1108137
I hope the coax line that passes through the looped AC cable doesn't go anywhere important.
>>
If you can plug your computer into the router's LAN ports and get internet, but not from the jacks in the other rooms, then the problem is between the router and the rooms. Most likely:

1) Jacks are not wired to the patch panel (somebody's incomplete project).
2) Jacks are wired incorrectly at either or both ends (somebody's incompetent project).
3) The patch panel or wall jacks are labeled incorrectly.

You needs some sort of port tested or tone generator to see if the wiring exists and wired correctly.

Or you can pull your own cable.
>>
if you want to test the cables in wall follow that one labeled dining room to the patch panel. take a patch cord and connect from dining room port direct to router, go to dining room and plug in computer and check for internet. if good the problem is likely the router setup.
>>
>>1108444
dining room port on patch panel direct to modem i meant
>>
>>1108137
The wiring block for the phone looks to be wired for ethernet so you better make sure those are actually going to the phone jacks. the thing on the right isnt a switch, its a patch panel. this one. http://signamax.com/patching-systems/category-5e-wall-mount-mini-patch-panels/

pop it off and see how its wired to know if its done properly and if its wired straight through or crossed over. thats a good start.
>>
phone lines are terminated fine, there's vertical continuity on the punch down blocks, it allows for 4 phone lines - one on each pair. the blue pair is carried over to the modem and runs out to the phone jacks via the blue pair on all cables.
>>
>>1108765
Some times there is a test jack that disconnects the feeding phone line from the rest.

If the phone is working at the modem, and the site doesnt look jacked up, I'd guess op just hasn't found a phone jack in the house. If he's sure, then my next guess is the phone wire from them modem is terminated on a 110 block that already has a house jack terminated.

That is, two wires stacked on top of each other, the phone from the modem being on top. Then it won't have a good connection, it's just sitting in the 110 block, not actually being grabbed by the contacts in the block.

The solution would be to pull it off and find a vacant 110 block for it (probably at the top or bottom of the telephone strip)

Does op have a 110 tool though?
>>
>>1108791
You can get cheap plastic ones from RadioShack or such.
>>
>>1108978
RadioShack still exists?

The ones near me are shuttered
>>
>>1108988
Oh yeah. Good point.
>>
File: 110punchtool.Main[1].jpg (20KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
110punchtool.Main[1].jpg
20KB, 600x600px
>>1108162
DO THIS
You have to confirm that the jacks and patch panel are wired using the same scheme first.

The process will be much easier if you have a 110 punch tool.

I used keystone jacks and patch panels to wire all of the ethernet jacks at work (40 or so) and the biggest pain in the dick is discovering that one or two wire pairs got cut through when the last person stripped the insulation off the end of the cable.
>>
>>1110383
Also, if you want to use all the jacks in your house EVERY port on your patch panel needs to be hooked up to a switch. You can buy really short cat5 cables in sets of 10, 20, or 30 from Amazon.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.