[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One man budget airship, aka flying tent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: larrywalters.jpg (41KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
larrywalters.jpg
41KB, 600x450px
Before you laugh me out of here, look at Larry Walters.

He went about it kind of carelessly in that he didn't bother to research how cold it would be at high altitudes, nor make more than the most rudimentary safety provisions.

What if you added a little bit more to it than just a lawn chair? The lightest possible enclosure to keep a single human occupant warm and insulated from the weather.

Something like a portaledge, which is basically a rigid bottomed hanging tent used by mountain climbers, seems like it would work as a basis.

You could then add a hole in the floor to shit through with an airtight cover, a small concentrated fuel burning stove for heat, an antarctic rated sleeping bag, and some dehydrated meals.

There could be some water storage but with a moisture collection surface it should be possible to accumulate enough water each day for drinking and hydrating meals.

Is this idea feasible? The lightest, smallest, cheapest possible one man airship you could actually stay aloft for more than a few hours in comfortably. What would it look like? What are some additions you'd suggest?
>>
File: balloon1.jpg (337KB, 2120x1700px) Image search: [Google]
balloon1.jpg
337KB, 2120x1700px
>>1107881
Will probably look something like pic related
>>
Id say if you were to go through the effort... Id say sticking close to a hot air balloon design as possible. That is already very cheap for flight.
>>
>>1107881
>http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html
An honorary Darwin Award (honorary as in surprisingly not managing to an hero, or, not at that point, despite valiants effort), Larry was someway beyond 'kind of careless' - theres also a few detailks missing from that account, believe he also managed to drop the rifle at some stage, etc.

No argument, helium balloons are probably effective - but youve got the same problem he had, namely lack of control (you gonna go where the wind takes you) and if he shot up to 16,000 feet (instead of the expected 30) with 45 ballloons, I have fucking no idea where youd level off, if at all, with 90. 'Plenty of beer' always a good idea tho - look forward to the live stream.
>>
File: Disposable-body-warmer.jpg (25KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Disposable-body-warmer.jpg
25KB, 500x375px
I'd suggest not relying on combustion for heat because of the damage it could cause if it's knocked over. Instead, use a half dozen disposable body warmers, the big ones last for 20 hours.
>>
>>1107881
>Well we had to use helium ballons to have a measurement of the varius wind directions for the flights.

>Dont forget that the hellium ballons pop out.
>Dont forget that you just realy cant decraise or increase your hight after a time.

>So bro please start to think about paragliders, and powered paragliders. There is an electric type too, if you are concerned about cost. Paragliding is the cheapest form of fliing.
>>
>>1107894
Top kek great plan
>>
>>1109139
why are you greentexting?
>>
>>1109381
Probably because he is from reddit.
>>
>>1107881
Balloons will pop at low atmospheric pressure. If you get high enough you will come crashing down. Not trying to burst your bubble...
>>
I always wanted to make an actual airship. Guns of Icarus had some really cool designs and I wonder if they are feasible.

Probably just a great way to get yourself killed.
>>
>>1110792
>and I wonder if they are feasible
Obviously no. Take a look at zeppelins, they are built incredibly lightweight with giant gas cells for a reason
>>
>>1110792
feasible yes

will you build it as a hobbyist no

also cool designs in fiction is often unpractical stupid designs
>>
>>1107881
>What would it look like?
Hot air balloon or blimp depending on your method of lift.
In order of utility

Helium
"hot air"
|
POWERGAP
|
Hydrogen

Unless you have balls of steel, then hydrogen at the top because mmmmmm. Just don't get it too hot, make any sparks, breathe on it too hard, etc.

And try not to let it mix with oxygen, that just makes it worse.
>>
>>1109381
>>1110062
Because i have relevant experience, and i try to tell the OP that he is going on rough ground. He is daydreaming, and he would blow money out of the window. He doesnt have the training to fly alone. And i am not from redit.

By the way here 2m3 of helium is about 100$ he would need about 60-70-80-100m3 of helium 50*100$=5000$. Thats about the compleat cost of ppg set and training.
>>
>>1112431
>gas by volume
that's not really how they do that, is it?
>>
>>1111356
>Hydrogen
>Unless you have balls of steel, then hydrogen at the top because mmmmmm. Just don't get it too hot, make any sparks, breathe on it too hard, etc.

Don't listen to this man. He's just spouting memes. The hardest part of hydrogen is that it'll leak through any material. It's no more dangerous then the gas in your car in the context of a balloon.
>>
File: balloon.jpg (8KB, 460x259px)
balloon.jpg
8KB, 460x259px
Balloon Boy 2: Electric Boogaloo
>>
I always figured a combination solar/wood fired hot air balloon would be the way to go. If a place is frequently overcast, it almost always has trees. If it's got no trees, it's almost always got plenty of sunlight. Not the most efficient, sure, but it'd be more of a winnebago than a prius or a mustang if you get my drift
>>
File: 84092632.jpg (10KB, 375x389px) Image search: [Google]
84092632.jpg
10KB, 375x389px
Just for info; a guy in Canada did the ol' helium balloons-on-a-lawnchair thing in 2015. They finally got him into court recently.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/calgary-daniel-boria-balloon-man-plea-1.3908793
>>
>>1112454
That stunt was pretty great. I remember listening to Opie and Anthony joke about it as it was happening.

The fucking kid gave it away at the end because he is stupid.

The kids have a metal band on youtube, its really terrible. Looks like they pump out a ton of videos looking for views. They are just as crazy as their parents.
>>
>>1112431
The article I posted below >>1112903 a BBC news article said the guy spent CDN$9,500 on the helium alone.
>>
>>1112903
Why is it a problem for a guy to just attach his chair to some balloons and have a nice ride? Why the fuck does the world have to be such a wet blanket? Even if it dies he only kills himself and proves his genes weren't smart enough tl survive. I mean, sucks for him, but it's a risk I'd take.
>>
>>1112908
>>1112454
I remember this now. That was batshit crazy. The parents should have got chemical sterilization and let go.
>>
>>1112919
I can understand your point of view. Prob the most dangerous thing he did was that he floated in front of the southern approach to YYC's busy main runway and he wasn't detected by ATC. My best friend is a senior AME for Westjet there and he told me a bit about some of the initial confusion with ATC that day.

(Btw, sorry for the CBC report. They go overboard on the drama and are well known for slanting an issue and over exagerating and outright lying. They're infested by PC/SJW's.)

I wonder where his chair ended up? In '86 I was hiking about 100 km NW of Calgary on the Ghost River when I found the remains of a couple of party balloons with a ziploc bag tied to it. Inside was a letter written by a kindergarten class from Spokane, WA. over a year before.

And in 1994 a friend and I were exploring a remote area on the west coast of BC. We were on old logging road and had just stopped and got out to check some old logging debris when we heard a bang! coming from his 4x4. There in his flatbed was a radiosonde from a weather balloon! I called the local airport and read him the serial number on the unit. Turns out it was launched earlier that day from the airport and had reached an altitude of 95,000 to 100,000 ft before the balloon burst. The guy was surprised as very few are ever recovered and this one didn't drift far. First one he heard of actually hitting something too. I still have it and a copy of the environment readings it took on its 2.5 hr flight.

Sorry for the thread drift!
>>
>>1112903
>>1112934
Do you think someone could pull this stunt off if they talked to the authorities?
I understand he was being a fuckhead and could have crashed a plane. But dont they allow hot air balloons and such?

Im sure he could have done it the "right way"
>>
>>1112935
>Though he called Nav Canada Edmonton Flight Information Centre and Transport Canada in the months leading up to the stunt, Boria did not get permission to perform the stunt.

[from anons article link above] - so, calling up Air Authorities and saying 'Hi! - Im a retard! Can I be a retard in your flight path?' don't seem to help any either. But I havent seen anyone actually jailed for this either, and the problem always seems to have been, uncontrolled flight too near airport/flight paths.

Hot air ballooning is slightly different as def. more controllable (height, at least) but, if you were in Alaska or some shithole, out of the sight of both God and Flight Control, dont think anyone would really care how you an hero, tbqh.
>>
you just use a balloon to upwardly pitch your tent
you then attach a radar at the top for communication range boost

the balloon method could be amazing for nomadic lifestyle travel - especially for helping cart the load like a mule (even if you have to wheel it also)

if you can find a way to produce enough gas while travelling somehow then this could be pretty kewl
>>
>>1112434
>ot really how they d
1m3 of helium raises 1kg. gas by volume doesnt helps it maybe adds the price of the gascontainers too.
So the question is simple, 5 grand to blow on a single stunt or get training, gear and fly for aprox 5-8 years.
>>
>>1112935
>Do you think someone could pull this stunt off if they talked to the authorities?

Basically : Everything in the air has to follow FAA regulations. If the FAA doesn't have regulations for it, you are not allowed to put it into the air.

>Im sure he could have done it the "right way"
There is no "right way" for uncontroled flight.
>>
Virgin Pacific Fligher
Google it.
>>
>>1112958
I wonder about the use of methanogens, like bacteria that produce methane. Add organic matter and some warmth (possibly ambient temps) and you get a lighter-than-air gas, albeit one with less lift than helium/hydrogen
>>
File: 1481355729444.jpg (42KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1481355729444.jpg
42KB, 413x395px
>>1108077
kek
>>
Here you go: wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitling_Orbiter

Possible, but could bebexpensive with the rise in helium prices and propane, although you could use hydrogen gas that you electrolyse yourself from water using a solar panel or something (you would have to land first though).
>>
You would need 854.590789301 dm3 (or litres) of hydrogen gas for every kilogram of mass you want to lift, this includes the structure, the balloon itself, equipment, supplues and yourself.
>>
File: Tents-Treepee.jpg (94KB, 468x468px) Image search: [Google]
Tents-Treepee.jpg
94KB, 468x468px
>>1107881
>>
>>1113381
thanks for posting this it brightened my day

I was feeling really down
>>
>>1112958
>if you can find a way to produce enough gas while travelling somehow then this could be pretty kewl

Honestly, probably the easiest way would be to just use hydrogen. Easily produced via electroysis, and I'm not sure any other lighter-than-air gas could be made or gathered on-the-fly like that with sufficiently lightweight equipment.

Yeah, it's flammable, but it's not exactly likely to be ignited up there. And, unlike the Hindenburg, you won't be painting the balloons with what is effectively rocket fuel.
>>
>>1112958
>you then attach a radar at the top for communication range boost
>radar
>communication

What the fuck are you on anon
>>
>>1107916
this is the most depressing end ever
>>
>>1113546
>depressing end
ayyy - if you aint expecting it..

always a person behind the 'funny story' - read a few pieces over Larry, and, AFAIK, he really did see himself as some kind of 'Right Stuff' pilot.

>Larry's boyhood dream was to fly. But fates conspired to keep him from his dream. He joined the Air Force, but his poor eyesight disqualified him from the job of pilot. After he was discharged from the military, he sat in his backyard watching jets fly overhead..

When reality bites you in the ass, you either accept it, an hero, or die trying to reach the stars. I guess, having at least attempted the latter, he decided sudoko be preferable to acceptance that the dream was over. Man fucking tried, tho.
>>
>>1112443
I would say that a well designed hydrogen system is safe enough, and danger is overhyped in popular media. We used H2 on the space shuttle for years, after all. BUT obviously this is not going to be a safely inspected gas system. So hydrogen could potentially detonate.

Also gasoline doesn't explode, it burns. Hydrogen-oxygen mixtures are scary.
>>
>>1112903

I am in awe of the balls of tungston carbide this man has.
>>
>>1110815
Helium is expensive, and doesn't lift you as well, but is much, much safer. If you're willing to deal with / risk, the safety issues of Hydrogen, it's much cheaper to buy or generate yourself, and moderately better at lifting.

For ideas about how to set this up, checkout gas-balooning, and double eagle II. You probably won't do anywhere near as well as what they did, but at least you can get ideas.
>>
>>1107916
>He never married and had no children. Larry hiked into the forest and shot himself on October 6, 1993. He died at the age of 44.

That got dark fast
>>
>>1107894
KEK. If you don't get ran over by a Cessna or fall asleep and wakeup in the ocean you are my hero. You really should take this to GoFundMe and get red bull to back you.
>>
File: AR-302259956.jpg (10KB, 300x240px)
AR-302259956.jpg
10KB, 300x240px
>>1107916
>>
>>1112919
I don't want some autistic fuckwad landing on me when I am out trying to mow my fucking yard.
>>
>>1115451
>and moderately better at lifting.
Twice as good isn't moderately better
>>
>>1115929
Then don't go outside. We have stuff in the air all the time, that could crash anytime.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.