[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JBL Pulse Bluetooth Speaker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: Fucked.jpg (23KB, 350x328px) Image search: [Google]
Fucked.jpg
23KB, 350x328px
So, a friend asked me to replace a destroyed mini USB charging socket on a JBL Pulse wireless speaker. Dutifully I watched a tear-down vid on Youtube, in which the videographer cleverly damaged the thing on disassembly but didn't mention it. I likewise destroyed the same part- The Bluetooth antenna board attached to the end cap- disassembling this one. It has a printed spiral antenna, an expoxy-drop sealed IC, and two wires, white and black, which had been soldered to it. There's no saving the PCB, the chip yanked up and the traces are mangled.

So. Is anyone familiar with this product, and is there another 2-wire antenna board available which can be substituted? I checked the net and came up dry, short of contacting JBL directly.
>>
>>1107832
Nah, you're probably fucked. They generally have one production run of an item these days. They don't make spare parts for it. They sell it for as long as it is in inventory and, when they run out, they do a new production run of a similar item that is cheaper/easier to produce and completely incompatible with the first item.
>>
>>1107840
Uggh. That's what I figured. Awfully nice of them to make it like this so it destroys when the end cap is removed, eh? And that youtube guy, such a sweetie for mentioning it. If I could have slipped a wire-cutter in there had I known... Grr!
>>
>>1107847
A final 'fuck you' to the resourceful consumer. Its very common in Chinese products too.
>>
>>1108197
OP here, I left a message on JBL's parts line, I'll update if they get back to me.
>>
>>1108417
Update: While their operator tried to be helpful, they claim the unit is "not user servicable" and "Parts are not available". So that's that, into the trash it goes.
>>
>>1108728
>not user servicable
aka built around planned obsolescence

There's something horribly wrong when a soviet era piece of tech outlives 5 generations of replacements without even requiring maintenance.
>>
>>1108753
You can build tech that will last 5 generations easy
But there is no point in doing it now for most consumer stuff.

Do you REALLY want to pay twice as much money for it to last longer?
Most of the stuff you have will be outdated and in a e-waste dump over in india before you know it.
>>
>>1108754
The thing is, they used extra glue and more complex engineering to rig this trap. IE, it cost more to produce it with this booby-trap than it would have to leave it servicable.
>>
>>1108848
Come on now
You think they intentionally spent extra money to "booby trap" the unit?

The vast majority of people who buy things arent going to try and fix it, or pay someone to fix it.
Shaving pennies off designs to maximise profits is what companies do. Not add superfluous shit that costs more to keep maybe 1% of users from fixing it.

Weird shit like that is deliberately done to save money elsewhere in the production of the device.
>>
>>1108851
C'mon now, do you really think they put special microchips into print cartridges to prevent people drilling holes in them and refilling them?

A: FUCK YES they DO! And they did so with this speaker too. Watch "The Lightbulb Conspiracy" on youtube to learn more about this criminal behavior.
>>
>>1108855
I understand planned obsolescence

This is a fucking terrible comparison.
Inkjet printers are sold at cost so they can sell you expensive ink.
Secondary ink markets are huge. You can buy knockoff ink and you can buy refill kits cheap. It was prevalent. It could be done by everyone. Your grandmother would consider doing it.

To compare that to the OP where literally almost noone would try to repair it is fucking retarded.

How about using critical thinking skills?
That would LOSE MONEY for JBL.
>>
>>1108859
You're being naive. The ONLY reason to glue the wires in extra short (Or glue them at all) or to glue the Bluetooth board un-removably into the end cap (When early models of this speaker are not like this) was to cause this exact outcome: Garbage upon attempt to dissassemble. There was no other reason to change the design. I can prove this with pics if you like.
>>
>>1108861
>You're being naive.

Of course
Having a menial understanding of engineering is being naive. But you watched a youtube video right?

You spend 2 cents more adding glue here to shave off 3 cents later in operating costs because you have simplified another operation in the building process. Its a net gain.

You have no clue how or why they did it. But to pretend its some sort of "booby trap" shows everyone how clueless you are.

The planned obsolescence in this case was literally the USB port (since you can see other people have the same issues)
They arent going to take a net loss on a product to keep a vast minority from fixing it you retard
>>
File: JBL_Bluetooth_NonBoobyTrap.jpg (55KB, 592x444px) Image search: [Google]
JBL_Bluetooth_NonBoobyTrap.jpg
55KB, 592x444px
>>1108863

Pic 1. An old model with the bluetooth affixed onto the main body, end-cap safely removable.
>>
File: JBL_Bluetooth_Boobytrap.png (552KB, 515x788px) Image search: [Google]
JBL_Bluetooth_Boobytrap.png
552KB, 515x788px
>>1108863

Pic 2: The kind I tried to fix. Pic is screenshot from youtube video, closeup, video author never mentions having ripped the shit out of the bluetooth PCB pulling the end off.
>>
>>1108863
Quit calling me clueless, and pull your head out. You're not paranoid if they really ARE out to get you.
>>
>>1108866
Youve certainly convinced me

The conventional wisdom of using different hardware revisions to tweak hardware to fix bugs and add efficiency to production has been all wrong!

Instead its about taking a hit on your bottom line to keep people like OP from fixing things!

>You're not paranoid if they really ARE out to get you.

You need to understand that not every engineer and design choice is out to get you.
>>
>>1108870
Listen, there is NO reason to attach the bluetooth onto the endcap, period- Then to intentionally epoxy the otherwise 5" long wires into the barrel- OTHER than to CAUSE THIS DESTRUCTION upon disassembly. I have proven this via pics, those are of the same model speaker.

You have proven that you'll defend a mega-corp unto the grave if it means you get to virtue-signal their cherubic innocence. You've been proven wrong, accept that they build shit like this intentionally, and live a better life.
>>
>>1108875
>Listen, there is NO reason to attach the bluetooth onto the endcap, period- Then to intentionally epoxy the otherwise 5" long wires into the barrel

That sounds exactly like something that could happen when you tweak an assembly process.

> I have proven this via pics, those are of the same model speaker

All youve proven is that you are short sighted, dont understand hardware revisions, and think that large corporations care a whole lot more about you than they really do.
This is a bluetooth speaker, this isnt a Macbook.

>You have proven that you'll defend a mega-corp unto the grave if it means you get to virtue-signal their cherubic innocence

No, it just shows you dont understand what actual planned obsolescence is

You are just mad you fucked it up and need to lay the blame on someone else.
>>
>>1108878
Ooh you're a stupid one, aren't you. If you had any concept of manufacturing, you'd realize that the extra steps of gluing the wires and separating one central part into more parts during the assembly process COSTS MORE.

You've been trashed, beaten to a pulp. proven an idiot. But please, do continue...
>>
>>1108879
>But please, do continue..

I guess ill just have to already reiterate what ive already said. You are so convinced you are right, you have lost whatever critical thinking skills you may have had.

What part of
>You spend 2 cents more adding glue here to shave off 3 cents later in operating costs because you have simplified another operation in the building process. Its a net gain.
dont you understand?

It WOULD be a stupid thing to add a whole extra step and then introduce more material.
Thats literally why they didnt do it.

They didnt go and say "well we are losing money to those bluetooth speaker repair shops, so lets complicate our processing"

They saw a place where they could glue the bluetooth into the cap probably cutting out a whole step and time in operating costs.
You know, the sort of stuff every company does to keep their bottom line?

But what do I know, taking an engineering course means nothing when you have youtube videos!
>>
>>1108882
Hey fuck you and your mail-in diploma-mill toilet-paper. I might have a few degrees of my own, you never know. If you think adding extra glue and assembly steps is to "save money" in this case, it's obvious that your mother didn't have any children that lived. Oh hey and, drop in a job app at JBL- I'm sure they'd love to have you.
>>
>>1108883
Why would you devolve into personal insults?
I didnt break your speaker, you did.

What liberal arts degree do you have?
>>
>>1108885
Read back the thread, to where you call me a retard and such long before I lost my patience. Ah, here it is:
>>1108863
Just before I presented the pics showing that you're all wet.

And I'm all STEM, baby. I could build a CPU outta TTL. But hey I already proved my point, go pound sand.
>>
File: Gillian.gif (831KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Gillian.gif
831KB, 250x250px
>>1108887
>before I lost my patience

You lost your patience long before you made this thread.
Would you like me to say im sorry?

Sorry boo, I wish you wouldnt have broken your speaker.
Do you want me to send them a nasty message on twitter?

Im glad you have opened my eyes, and countless other passerbys. I will keep this thread in mind next time I make a purchase of a cheap consumer good.
>>
>>1108890
I wish you'd taken the time to read the thread. It was a friend's speaker. And if they went to extra steps to ensure that removing the cover breaks it, it is on them.

And if you're all that hot, the thread was about, "Does anyone know of a replacement part for the JBL bluetooth antenna board?" Well... Do ya? Or are you just here to talk up booby-trapping products as some sort of manufacturing breakthrough?
>>
>>1108892
Tell me how they could have secured those components without using glue
hard mode: it has to be less expensive.
>>
>>1109293
See: Image 1.
>>1108864
>>
>>1109543
To clarify that a bit, pic 1 and pic 2 are of the same make and model speaker. Pic 1 is from a How To on replacing the USB port from a web page. The speaker in that instance has the little bluetooth PCB attached to the main barrel of the chassis, allowing normal dissassembly and service of the USB port.

Pic 2 is from a youtube tutorial on the same subject, however it's the presumably newer rev in which they moved from gluing the PCB onto the end of the chassis, to gluing it into the end-cap and also securing the wires with glue to the chassis so there isn't enough clearance to allow removal of the end-cap without ripping the PCB apart. The video maker doesn't mention the damage and only after everything went to shit did I freeze-frame the vid and spot it out.

The one I was working on was the self-destructo version.
>>
>>1109550
Actually this thread has run completely off the rails. What I need is a replacement bluetooth PCB, and if none can be sourced, then the speaker is quite literally trash at this point.

Thank you to those who attempted to help!
>>
>>1109555
you've been conscientious, OP, tried your best an all - now, give it up as a bad job, and go buy your friend a new one..

Its still (basically..) a $5 speaker with a $150 worth of chinese baubles and crap attached - if he hangs on it (wtf do I know, etc) - and the 3.5mm still works?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bluetooth+audio+receiver

not ideal, but its $15-20 fix, rather than $150 or throwing it away. Which I probably woulöd now if you hadnt fixed the USB either, but, nevermind.

RE: inbuilt obsolesence, doubt JBL GAF about a few fixers desu - maybe preventative measure against teardowns/China reverse engineering tho, even tho its doubtless born there anyway.
>>
>>1109559
Yup, I already got 'em a $15 fake knockoff of it. Sounds tolerable, lights up. Still gotta break the news to 'em but at least he can't bitch too much since his was dead to begin with. I'm calling it a Christmas present.
>>
>>1109767
Yeah I'll do what I can for it so the 3.5mm works, what'cha wanna bet it won't init without the bluetooth working?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.