[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Basic car knowledge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1471982009595.jpg (129KB, 533x533px) Image search: [Google]
1471982009595.jpg
129KB, 533x533px
How do I learn more about cars? My dad's a mechanic and he want's me to learn a bit more about car's however his not too good of a teacher. What's the best resources to learn about the basics about cars?
Not to much on the tool aspect, but a lot more on the part aspect.
>>
>>1107773
Drive car.

Break car.

Google/youtube thing that broke.

Fix car.

Repeat until mechanic.
>>
>>1107773
tell your father he's in danger of raising a cupcake
>>
Pick up a few haynes manuals.
>>
>>1107773
Its very simple
The majority of work youll do on a car is basic routine maintenance, and like
>>1107776 said.
Preventative and regular maintenance of wearing parts, or replacing broken shit. The diagnosis of more worn parts take experience and finesse that you learn over time.

> My dad's a mechanic and he want's me to learn a bit more about car's however his not too good of a teacher.

My father was a fucking dickhead when we worked on cars throughout my childhood. But somehow it all sunk in when I went to do shit on my own.

Start by changing your fluids, replacing your belts and hoses, spark plug and wire changes. From there youll have to wait for something to start acting up before you fix it. You drive the car every single day, youll hear or feel something wrong. Most people just ignore it
>>
>>1107773
Everything here is right. I think the most difficult part for beginners is learning to not round off or snap bolts and shit, not cross-thread bolts, and not over-tighten shit like a gorilla. I've been a tech for 15 years, you'll never know "everything" because it changes yearly. So you do learn a lot on the fly, out of necessity. Most of the mistakes new guys make is unnecessarily breaking shit that i need to "help" fix (fix myself). Looking for broken/worn/loose shit, taking it apart, remembering how it goes back together isn't too hard. Learn how to properly check a front end, I've worked with dozens of guys with years more exp than me that had no idea how to do it right. Electrical diagnosis can come later if you're still interested. But that's not "basic". Get basic down, things may be a little more clear when you google why your engine light is on.
>>
>>1107793
>>1107799
Replacing parts in a car is'n too much of an issue for me, but learning what it is that I took off is where I'm stuck.

So say if my dad points at something in the engine and tell's me to take it off, for the most part I can do it, but I have no clue what it is that I took off or what it does.. That's
>>
>>1107773
Buy an older Jeep. You won't have any major issues, as the older engines were well made, however little shit will always be breaking or needing replacement, and the Jeep community online is a treasure trove of knowledge. I rebuilt an entire V8 based on nothing but forum posts on Jeep forums, and a few YouTube videos.
>>
Seriously do this: YouTube it up. Go to the channel "engineering explained". He explains a lot of how certain things work. Start basic with the engine and transmission. And just follow the recommended videos to where ever it takes you. Within a month you'll be able to tell a Pittman arm from a lower ball joint and tell the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger. All it takes is a few nights of going down a YouTube rabbit hole.
By the time you get around to fixing your own car, all you'll be learning is 101 ways of bustin' a nut.
>>
>>1107867
Out of curiosity is this guy actually knowledgeable? I saw some of his videos and some have a rather high dislike on it
>>
>>1107812
ill second this
Jeep has plenty of resources available online, and other parties have even more available to jeep owners.
Even if you get an old CJ or something it is still very simple to find parts for it.
Plus working on any jeep is one of the most comfortable vehicles to work on. Theres plenty of room to maneuver underneath it, inside the engine compartment, and inside the vehicle. Its a great learning vehicle.
>>
>>1107809
I guess just ask the guy at the parts store what it's called and what it does or use Google to look up a diagram and follow the pictures until you figure it out. That's how I do most of my repairs. Cars aren't difficult, generally speaking. They're just annoying
>>
>>1107917
Certain videos have some incomplete information that's about the worst I've seen but a YouTube video shouldn't be your only source for learning anyway
>>
>>1107773
Have you offered to help your father? Seriously, learn what all the basic tools are and go to his shop and while talking start handing him tools. Watch quietly and only start asking if he starts explaining what he's doing. Having a helper allows me to work more than twice as fast sometimes. If he is really not wanting to teach you can come work as my helper for $10/hr.
>>
>>1107773
youtube is probably the most valuable resource for learning but remember that, like real life, its full of people who think they know what they are talking about but actually dont so take what you watch with a grain of salt.

beyond that, the best way to learn is to do. buy a car. work on it. when you dont know how to do something or what something is, google it. thats it.
>>
>>1107773

Intro to Auto Mechanics class at your local community college -- should be $300 or so. Will teach you way more shit, as well as stuff that youtubers and your father might have backwards.

My engine mechanics teacher was a trivia buff and had some good ones -- if nobody guesses correctly I'll post answers in 8 hours:

1. What was the last consumer car model sold in the US to have an air-cooled engine?

2. What was the last consumer car model sold in the US to have an 8-track player come standard?

3. What was the last consumer car model *made* in the US to have an opposed-4 engine?
>>
>>1107965
My dad used to work with the teacher here that teachs it. Apparently his not too good
>>
>>1107979
If you study on your own it's easy to get all the technical information. The basic access to vehicles, tools and information is valuable.

You can always study well ahead of the group if you have two working brain cells. Become an infobeast.
>>
>>1107931
This guy has an engineering degree in motorsports or vehicle control systems. But yes, you shouldn't rely on one source diversify but that guy is a good place to start.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.