[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Improvement Misc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: drilled them holes like a bawler.jpg (294KB, 2319x1304px) Image search: [Google]
drilled them holes like a bawler.jpg
294KB, 2319x1304px
I do tons of small home improvement projects throughout the year to get my house looking better and better. Happy to share some of my lessons learned and results and hopefully you guys can do the same. Who knows, we might even learn something from each other.

Today I installed a small ventilation plate in my bedroom. Right behind it is the chimney (double insulated tube) and the wall was getting warm anyway so I thought why not let that delicious hot air heat my room. It was also the excuse i needed to buy a multi tool. Managed to pickup a Black&Decker MT300KA for 75eur and 20eur cashback.

Install was easy, I leveled the ventilation plate and used a picker to mark the drill holes. Then i used the multitool to cut out a hole smaller those drill holes (about 1.5cm smaller) so i was sure the ventilation plate would cover the hole. Then installed the plate and presto done.

Went exactly how i hoped and i knew the multitool was perfect for this. Good start of the year!
>>
>>1107428
I know jack shit about doing work around the house so this might come off as a dumb question but: wouldn't the plate let the chimney's smoke fill up your room?
>>
>>1107428
>delicious hot air heat
This is where you fucked up because it doesn't have circulation, you have put a hole in the wall for nothing
>>
>>1107430
the actual smoke is in the chimney pipe, which is double walled and made of metal. The "chimney" is the enclosure around that tube

>>1107431
You could be right, but wont warm air try to rise and thus create at least some circulation / heat transfer?
>>
>>1107435
There is no circulation so it is purely convection, but even that will be at about zero because of the tiny slots don't exactly do shit unless there is circulation i.e. air pressure.

The warmth already goes into the room via radiation from the wall. If it isn't insulated, it would be rather efficient already. A hole covered up by a metal thing would do about nothing to the heat transfer.

But at least now you have a place to hide cash or whatever.
>>
>>1107447
damnit anon, and i felt so good about the whole thing. You recon i can get some circulation going if i make another ventilation hole on the ground floor?
>>
File: JBXjDsx[1].png (425KB, 665x496px) Image search: [Google]
JBXjDsx[1].png
425KB, 665x496px
>>1107450
Not really. This... isn't how it works. This isn't how heating works, this isn't how circulation works, this isn't how walls work, etc. There is no "extra heat" even if you tear down the wall. The heat already is going into the room from the wall itself. Even if you built an elaborate heat pipe from the chimney into the room, you will heat up the room faster, and cool faster, but faster is not warmer, there is no "extra" heat.
>>
File: windmills.jpg (39KB, 428x315px) Image search: [Google]
windmills.jpg
39KB, 428x315px
>>1107455
was waiting for someone to make that image.
>>
Yes, clearly you should be adding more holes to your walls to heat your room. Do you even understand their purpose and why there is usually insulation in them? You sir may just be a little retarded. Find actual problems to solve with your tools you degenerate
>>
>>1107526
>Do you even understand their purpose and why there is usually insulation in them?
One does not [typically] insulate internal walls. It complicates things, and achieves nothing.
>>
>>1107529

People can and do insulate internal walls. Are you trying to start something, Mr. attempted Pedantic? Try googling.
>>
>>1107447
How about a small fan? I'm in South Florida, so I don't know shit about chimneys, but could it pull air from that area?

If not, a vent next to it would help. Hell, a custom duct creating a seal between the left and right side of the vent could pull heat.
>>
>>1107536
Why would you? It helps achieve a more accurate ambient temperature if internal walls are uninsulated. I have never owned or lived in a home with insulated interior walls. 8+ houses since I was 15 and DIYing electrical.
>>
>>1107678
>South Florida
>worried about heat
>spends a couple of days in Minnesota
>forgets all about how cold South Florida is.
>>
>>1107536
>People can and do insulate internal walls.
Sure, when there's a specific reason to do so. There usually isn't.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.