[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Still trying to remove gasoline from well

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 1469831407782.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1469831407782.gif
2MB, 256x192px
Ive been reading up on UV light but I dont see anything about it removing oils or chemicals, just killing and inactivating bacteria.

Im seeing a ton of guides for removing water from gas but not the other way around. So far people suggested charcoal filters and absorbing it from the surface with pads. Though i wonder if we should be putting them in the hot water heater as well.

Was also checking out scum absorbing balls normally used in pools. If anyone is more familiar with any of these setups let me know
>>
It's not practical. It would be cheaper to fill the well in and dig somewhere else.
>>
are you the same guy that dumped degreaser down the well hoping it would clean it up? you're gonna need to dig a new one
>>
Look up oil absorbing sheets, they're made of a material that is oleophilic but hydrophobic and soak up gasoline really well.
>>
>>1106789
I didnt dump anything, im just asking for my parents because they'll waste a bunch of money on dumb methods like the degreaser trying to fix it.

>>1106755
I dont think thats an option for them right now.

>>1106792
Thats actually the first thing that was tried. http://www.absorbentsonline.com/economy_oil_spill_cleanup_absorbent_pads_and_rolls.htm this kinda thing right? They put 4 of them on the top of the well apparently after filling it, and there was no visible residue.

I was at the house tonight and smelled gas the moment i turned on the hot water in the kitchen. Do you think its maybe collecting elsewhere like the hot water heater maybe? They did say they were replacing that since it was old anyway.

These looked pretty useful https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fzUBb7A0OFE

Norsorex oil absorbing pads. Theyre listed on the EPA's site but I cant find them sold anywhere. They probably only sell to businesses.
>>
Burn the oil.
>>
>>1106805

There's no cheap method to fixing this. Your water is contaminated. Call in the professionals to at least look at it.
>>
>>1106805
I've had a quick shifty at the literature, the quickest and easiest method seems to be air removal (i.e. letting the gasoline flash off). Do you have some unused land uphill from the well? If so, pump water from the top of the water in your well and discharge it onto the soil during the day, the gasoline will evaporate off and the water will filter down back into the well, being further filtered by the soil as it progresses, this is assuming the soil isn't already contaminated.

You could also pass water through a tank through which air is bubbled, this is called air sparging. To prevent bacterial growth, invest in an inexpensive ozone generator with a bubbler attachment, it won't shift enough air on its own so you'll need a separate air pump to get enough air moving through the water as well. Be sure to discharge the expelled air into the open so flammable vapours don't build up.
>>
>>1106809
The problem with calling the professionals is they will get fined a big sum of money for possibly contaminating the aquifier.

>>1106826
So as in take a hose or pump and just stick it in and suck water out? The yard itself is pretty flat not much in the way of hills, but theres plenty of unused land in the woods behind the property.

Also after reading again I see what you mean, we need a slope to recirculate the water back down. Im not sure about the level of soil contamination, the whole mess is the result of one of their four wheelers being parked near the well and the gas tank leaking, im not sure how full it was or how much those hold. So im not sure how much gas qualifies as disaster.

Im also wondering why the pads never got any gas off the surface since gas should rise.

The bubbling method is interesting too, especially since this is a well that usually needs to be filled every so often by a water truck. It was just filled after the incident too.

Ive never heard of an ozone generator or bubbler attachment, but ill look into it. These two arent the most responsible obviously, the less involved the solution the better because i dont trust theyre going to sit and watch the equipment all day.
>>
>>1106851
> the whole mess is the result of one of their four wheelers being parked near the well and the gas tank leaking

Then the soil is likely contaminated and I wouldn't use soil filtration to clear the well.

>Im also wondering why the pads never got any gas off the surface since gas should rise.

A small amount (still easily enough to taste/smell) can mix in with the water and there's also compounds in gasoline that are miscible with water.

>Ive never heard of an ozone generator or bubbler attachment, but ill look into it.
Look up the cheap Chinese ozone generators you can buy on Amazon and eBay, if it comes with a hose and air stone and generates >500mg/h you're in the right ball park.

tl;dr either get a sparger setup for your well or build a sparger tank between the well and your home.
>>
>>1106855
How long do you think we'd run this for? A few days? A week? Also does the well need to be uncovered for this? Its extra complicated since they have pets and I definitely dont want them falling the well.
>>
Dig up and remove as much of the contaminated soil as possible and run the water via a garden hose to encourage fresh groundwater to exchange with the well water (Cycle it on and off so you don't overload the well pump). Time and bacteria will clear it.
>>
>>1106857
>How long do you think we'd run this for? A few days? A week?
Until the gasoline contamination is gone, if it's in the soil it could be months. It's impossible to predict without knowing how extensive the contamination is.

>Also does the well need to be uncovered for this?
There needs to be some way for the air you're pumping down there to escape. A hefty grille would stop them falling in.
>>
>>1106866
That feel when their one night mistake becomes a huge ordeal. Still if this gets rid of it over time im happy.

I know I could just leave them to their own devices since its not really my problem, but fuck, I dont want them to get sick and die from being exposed to this shit via their sinks and shower etc. They do have a fresh water cooler that they drink from thankfully, but im sure theyll have lots of skin exposure in the coming months. Plus any dishes going through the dishwasher will never truly be clean either.
>>
>>1106725

Is draining the well an option?
>>
>>1106725
Did you ever call a lawyer over this? This is prime settlement territory. But, you need to stop doing anything else until you get legal counseling.
>>
File: flare gun.png (231KB, 572x388px) Image search: [Google]
flare gun.png
231KB, 572x388px
>>1106725
>the greatest minds on earth
>all these complicated shits
heres your simple redneck answer, burn it out
>>
>>1107507
Apparently they tried that but it wouldnt ignite. Goes hand in hand with the whole "The pad didnt seem to absorb any gasoline off the top"

>>1107489
They pay to get it filled all the time, so it might he an expensive option if this is something that needs to be done multiple times.

>>1107493
They haven't, we do have a lawyer in the family but im not sure if he knows much about those sort of cases. Either way its not like he could represent them since he lives far away.
>>
>>1107525
you refill a well?
>>
>>110672
Pleurotus ostreatus mycelium . Fill sandbags with straw...impregnate...drop in like a teabag
>>
>>1106725
use a 55 gal drum and a pump. make a large filter with the polar sheets. after it pumps fro awhile it will hopefully clean it out. also have a few pumps with ozone
>>
>>1106805
The oil absorbent sheets work, but not quite as good with gasoline. Also you got to poke and prod it into the gas to get it to absorb.
>>
File: 1482980502223.jpg (141KB, 590x657px) Image search: [Google]
1482980502223.jpg
141KB, 590x657px
As an update here's what we ended up doing.

We replaced the water filter connected to the main pipe in the basement with one that uses activated charcoal/carbon. The old one stank of gas and looked quite dirty, so im wondering if that was recirculating leftover gas.

Next we put one of those brita filters on the kitchen tap.

At first the water coming from the tap (without brita) was full of bubbles, not sure if it was related to the filter replacment and turning off the water for a bit or what. But it was cloudy as hell and ran clear a few minutes later.

Water run through the brita looks crystal clear and doesnt really have any gas smell. Water run without the brita might have a very faint gas smell but has improved tenfold compared to how it was earlier.

I still wouldnt trust drinking it, but im hopeful that things will improve in the coming weeks if they keep replacing the basement filter. The brita water seems fine to wash your hands in, just slow and cold obviously.
>>
>>1108229
Some properties have wells that were sized for the needs of a home a long time ago when less water was used and some places the water table has lowered due to drought or more water harvesting. These people will sometimes have water delivered to supplement their usage. Usually only if digging a new well would be to expensive/unallowable.
>>
>>1108365
Thats pretty much it, we used to have to have a water truck come monthly for refills. But apparently its been about a year of not needing to fill it again, they think they may have hit a new vein maybe.
>>
>>1108364
Flush the hot water heater. Replace it only when the incoming water doesn't smell at all like gas.

Replace the filter every week or so until it doesn't have any gas smell.

The whole house filter should remove enough/most of the contaminates and it should be safe for washing and bathing.

I would use the drain valve to empty the hot water heater. Refill it a couple of times and drain to flush it. No need to heat the water for flushing.
>>
>>1108370
ill mention that to them, I didnt know it could be drained even. They have a replacement lined up, but if it would be better to keep it in for awhile ill get them to do that instead.

Appreciate the help!
>>
This might be dumb, but can you just burn it off?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.