[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hangar style house

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: images.jpg (6KB, 188x141px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 188x141px
Anybody here ever build an arched hangar style house?

I've built a couple small ones to use as chicken coops using cheap tin roofing and pvc as joists and it worked for them (even with the weight of snow), but im wondering about larger scale

naturally i wouldnt be using cheap tin and pvc pipes
>>
>>1106551
Why?

Also why is everyone trying to reinvent the house? The cheapest and easiest and most practical way to build a house is to build it to a house shape, not round, not a arched, not domed, not underground, not containers, not concrete pipes, not rock carving, not pallet wood.

Give me a good reason why you would build a new house like it is something else. It is not.
>>
>>1106553

because i think it looks cool
>>
>>1106553

Maybe because I'm a fucking plane.

Do you know how hard it is to live inside a house built for a not plane? The tips of your wings catch on every surface. You don't have any room to turn around. It's shit.
>>
Lived in one for 6 years. They're commonly called Quonset huts, and they're pretty common around here. Big post-WWII GI population, they tossed em up to accommodate people. Didn't intend on them lasting a lifetime, but they're still around. Biggest problem with most of them is that they're fucking cold.
>>1106553
They're not new, but I'll give you the rest.
>>
File: Evans_17.jpg (447KB, 720x489px) Image search: [Google]
Evans_17.jpg
447KB, 720x489px
>>1106553
Because the English europoors weren't the only ones to invent a house, nor is box a perfect shape. The rest of your points are just bullshit .
>>
>>1106553
Quonset huts that size can be put up in a day with four guys. The pad could be poured before hand. Framing up the inside for insulation doesn't take long at all.

t.Alaskan
>>
looks like heating would be a huge issue. you'd get a LOT of wasted space due to not being able to place a straight couch, bed or a picture frame on the curved walls.
>>
File: 1425438052438.gif (181KB, 400x340px) Image search: [Google]
1425438052438.gif
181KB, 400x340px
>>1106558
kek
>>
>>1106551
Quonset hut
>>
>>1106613
They go by Nissan hut in my country.
>>
>>1106551

COULD YOU HAVE POSTED A SMALLER PIC!
>>
>>1106553
The round shape house gives you the most square footage using the exact same amount of building material as a square shape. effectively giving you a + amount of percentage in material cost so its actually cheaper.
>>
>>1106628
Try "Nissen hut" there, high speed. Wouldn't want anyone to think you are talking about the Japanese car company.
>>
File: round-metal-building-insulation.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
round-metal-building-insulation.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>1106551
Not me but I helped a local anon build something similar to pic-related.
Really easy to put up even if you don't have a crane. But having a power winch helps.
Insulation methods vary. We hang bats of insulation using plastic pins. The closed in areas were built out with regular insulation and wallboard. It is a bit of a bitch to get things to fit, but we opted for a wire/plumbing chase around the outside rather than build right up to the outside wall. That's where the AC ducts run. You don't hang anything off the structure. it's all built up from the ground.
>>
>>1106639
Buildings a round house is very laboratorium intensive compared to square house
>>
>>1106639
fucking retard, how much of that space is USABLE ? go do the math, you will see the numbers are the same, simple trigonometry.

So its all the same if you build square or round house, but the problem with the round one is, its fucking hard to build and maintain using traditional methods.

Not to mention the cost of all the custom made interior stuff.

Also bigger sq footage = more $$$ for heating/cooling.

The houses that are build for the masses are square for a reason, cheap, fast and reliable. If you can reinvent the wheel sure, go ahead, a slow and expensive way to come to the same conclusion, while you can with simple math and common sense.
>>
File: 8880571_orig.jpg (331KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
8880571_orig.jpg
331KB, 1100x733px
>>1106551
Never built one, but found these while looking for traditional cabin alternatives:

http://www.archedcabins.com

Pretty affordable if you're near their facility, otherwise they kill you in shipping.

Pic related.
>>
>>1107007
>traditional methods

Depends on your traditions, I suppose. The yurt has been around for what? 3000+ years? My brother has been living in one for about 3 years in CA. The fact it's round hasn't caused him any trouble at all.
>>
>>1107017
The yurt is one thing, that is ok if you move around a lot.

The Greeks had houses, square ones, made out of wood and stone etc., later the Romans did the same, even better houses, all in rectangular shape too.

Now go figure.
>>
>>1107027

The reason they were square is because it's difficult to make a circular home out of stone or wood. If the material allows for a circular home, there's no reason not to except muh tradition.
>>
>>1106560
>fucking cold
This. I spent the better part of a decade living in one while saving up to build a house, between the metal roof/walls and concrete floors, it was cold as shit in the winter. Also really fucking loud when it rains.
Both issues were solved by the application of lots of insulation, though the concrete floor was still cold.
>>
File: 1482445931531.jpg (31KB, 620x632px) Image search: [Google]
1482445931531.jpg
31KB, 620x632px
>>1107047
>concrete floor

Fuck that. Sounds horrible. I don't understand how or why anyone would willingly do this.
>>
>>1107050
i live in a converted shop with a concrete floor. its really long and skinny so I use a skateboard to get around. its kind of convinient. i good rug will solve all issues with cold.
>>
I have a Steelmaster A-20 trussless straight wall I've owned since 1994ish. I anti-seize all the bolts and only had to cut three when I moved it to my current home.

I'd live in one and many people turn them into homes or combo home-shops. My next building may have the intermodal container cover version as a roof so I can use a forty-foot High Cube as the base wall on each side.

If you want the building before pouring all the foundation you can pour the edges. I scored a few hundred feet of I-beam so I weld four pieces as a box, bolted the Steelmaster to that base, wired it then poured the rest of the slab.

For a true gearhead a home is an accessory and a shop is a necessity.
>>
>>1107057
BTW a complete 20-foot Steelmaster is made of nesting panels. Mine fit in one longbed pickup truck plus a longbed cutoff truck trailer.
>>
>>1106553
I want to build a house out of crt monitors and old boots. How do?
>>
>>1106553
>Give me a good reason why you would build a new house like it is something else. It is not.

If you prefer a shop with living quarters those structures are pure win. They are highly space-efficient.

Use case is everything. A steel building like pic related is durable and VERY low maintenance. They have low drag so less likely to get fucked by storms. They can be erected and dismantled by a two man crew. They are easy to expand by ordering additional sections. Termites don't eat them, water doesn't bother them, and they are highly leak-resistant.

You prefer conventional houses so ignore this thread. See how easy that is?

BTW sleeve nuts are great for attaching interior items to the ends of the shell bolts.
>>
>>1106553

In that case when our ancestors lived in caves, why did they always vault the roof of their tunnels and living spaces.

Domes and half domes distribute weight more fully than the inverted V roof shape, which exerts all the weight straight down.

If you need to make a gap in a load bearing wall you can make a brick arch, or insert a girder above the lintel. That alone should demonstrate the superiority of curves in building design.
>>
>>1107095
You are completely off topic, no one is arguing about arches vs pitched roofs
>>
>>1107050
It's not that bad, I just wore shoes or slippers around the house. It was kinda nice in summer, cold concrete on a hot day.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.