[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to meld glass bottles? I can cut off eg the bottom or top

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: bottles.jpg (72KB, 625x439px) Image search: [Google]
bottles.jpg
72KB, 625x439px
How to meld glass bottles?

I can cut off eg the bottom or top with fairly good success, but everytime I try to heat up the edges with a blowtorch to meld the sharp edges it crackles.
In an ideal world I would like to soften the glass enough to bend it a little into shape; not the entire bottle, just eg near the cut area
>>
You are talking about fire polishing, try to look into it more, glass doesn't like to be heated unevenly.
>>
>>1106518
>fire polishing
okay, didn't know about that
looks like you need an acetylene flame for that
or would your average propane blowtorch be hot enough?
>>
>>1106523
I did it in high school with a Bunsen burner is science class when I had to cut some glass tubes. It has been a long time.
>>
>>1106768
me too, but those glass tubes were not anywhere as thick as glass bottles. you literally had to stick the red hot end into water to make it crack
>>
>>1106768
>>1106990
Those glass tubes are borosilicate glass, not bottle glass. There's an incredible difference in heat tolerance. Ordinary glass will not withstand a large difference in temperature like that.
>>
>>1107087
Thanks, I wasn't quite sure about it.
Would sanding be the best bet then?
>>
>>1106510
ITT OP is making drug paraphenalia
>>
>>1107104

you could put bottle on turn table item. something like you spin spices on or a lazy susan type thing. start spinning bottle on turn table at very even speed. can be slow speed but needs to be consistent. but honestly the fastest you can get a consistent speed the better. mapp gas, or oxygen/propane will work with regular sodalime glass. propane will also work. just bring torch onto lip of bottle while spinning. but turn torch away every now and then until it gets hot. once redish you can keep torch on steady. reverse the process to cool it down with moving torch on and off for longer periods of time as it cools. its hard to explain as its more intuitive than a science. and bottle are particularly annoying. use a bottle with an even thickness. if you can find a video of someone streching a glass coke bottle you will get the idea. this is an end result video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIPmx20ZMGA

i can do it but its hard to explain. after awhile you get a feel for how hot the bottle is.

>>1107535
easy ways than this but who knows
>>
File: 1473311102514.gif (726KB, 391x288px) Image search: [Google]
1473311102514.gif
726KB, 391x288px
>>1106510
dude, its called google.

judging by your conviction, the closest you are gonna get would be a glass bottle in a fire pit.
>>
>>1106510
Ever considered putting your glass in an oven at 450 F. for half an hour before working it? You know, evenly heat up the whole bottle before melding the edges...
>>
>>1106510
Why don't you just sand it if you all you want to do is dull the edge?
>>
>>1106510
If you are trying to just get rid of sharp edges just grind/sand it down.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.