[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Septic Tanks and Water Wells

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: septic-tanks-01[1].jpg (47KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
septic-tanks-01[1].jpg
47KB, 800x600px
I want to retire to rural Ireland

I just found out that most rural properties use a septic tank and water well. I've lived in English cities with public sewerage my whole life so I have no idea how sewerage works in rural places. Can any country folk enlighten me:

>If my property has a private water well, do I have to bring water in manually or does my home automatically draw water in for the toilet, taps etc.?

>How often does a septic tank need maintenance provided I take care and don't flush grease or tampons and stuff?

>Will a surveyor be able to tell me if a property's septic drainage field is in good shape?

>Also, in rural Ireland how difficult is it to get a good internet connection, and who are the best providers?
>>
>>1106448
The O'Liriere's will eat you alive...
>>
>>1106448
>If my property has a private water well, do I have to bring water in manually or does my home automatically draw water in for the toilet, taps etc.?
The well is the bit that accesses the ground water. Where it goes from there depends on what you have. If you're not buying an authentic hobbit hole, the well will be connected to a pump and related plumbing that maintains water pressure in the house.

>How often does a septic tank need maintenance
This is something you would check with the septic system manufacturer/installer about, but typically add a bit of Rid-X or something similar once a month, and have it pumped every few years. Don't dump antibiotics or bleach.

>Will a surveyor be able to tell me
I suspect that this depends on the surveyor. If they regularly have to deal with that, since it's common in that area... might as well ask.
>>
Yes, all toilets and taps in Ireland have water magnets, they will attract the water from the well through the pipes. No pump needed.
>>
>>1106459
>>>1106448 (OP)
>>How often does a septic tank need maintenance
>This is something you would check with the septic system manufacturer/installer about, but typically add a bit of Rid-X or something similar once a month, and have it pumped every few years. Don't dump antibiotics or bleach.

Check with septic installers / manufacturer or even plumbers before using RidX or the like. They break up solid waste so it passes out of the tank into the drainage field, but then gets filtered by the drainage field an turns solid again. Much cheaper to pump out the tank a little more often than to have to rebuild the whole septic system much sooner.
>>
Thanks for the great answers guys, I wasn't expecting them so fast
>>
Grew up in rural Ireland with a septic system. Really no issue to be worried about. If you're building you have to be careful to buy a plot with enough space, tanks have to be a minimum distance from a stream and such.

Once every few years (or every time my cousins come over) you'll have to have the tank emptied - just Google for the nearest fella and pay the fee of a hundred or so.
>>
>every time my cousins come over
Big shitting Irish cousins
>>
>>1106460
A water magnet? Google isn't giving me much

A pump wouldn't hurt though right, I like a good pressure for showers
>>
>>1106481
Im very sure a asshole is just being sarcastic
>>
>>1106505
Oh
>>
>>1106505
no he's right. i'm irish and use the water magnet to water down my whiskey while my wife fires out kid after kid.
>>
>>1106448

What?

You don't mean that you believe that there's a possibility that you will have to manually pump water from the ground, right?
>>
>>1106448
My parents live in a rural area in the us and have a 2 wells and septic tank

there is a 1000 gallon cistern that water is automatically pumped into from the well and you will continue to have some water even if the power goes out

you cant use antibacterial soap with a septic tank (you shouldnt be using it anyway) and you have it pumped every couple years

they have some shitty wireless isp that is $80/mo for between 0.01 - 8mpbs depending on the time of day
>>
>>1106581
Oh fuck I forgot how bad Internet is in the boonies
>>
>>1106448
To answer the first: a well works by pulling water from below the water table. The depth varies but if you dig deep enough you'll hit water anywhere on earth. Water from rivers, streams, oceans, etc permeates through soil (and other porous materials) which filters it leaving fresh water.
>>
>>1106581
>Shitty wireless service

>used to live in barely boonies.
>literally 500 feet outside of every cable companies range
>have to use satellite Internet which is an even bigger fuck you to consumers
>10gb high speed cap with unlimited high speed from 12am to 5am

Shit was awful, I'm glad I live in the city again.
>>
>>1106448
Ideally a septic tank will break down waste and "soak away" the clean water. My tank hasn't been emptied in 20yrs. My nearest neighbour has his done about once a year - idk what he's doing wrong?
>>
>>1106448
Don't know how these peoples septic systems work but ours is thirty years old and never been emptied. We had a look in it about ten years ago and there was maybe a foot of sludge at the bottom. Haven't bothered with it since.

This is 20 years of a family of five and 10 years of a retired couple. although the system looks about twice the size of your picture and we have a hot climate.

I guess the best course is to ask the neighbours.
>>
>>1106815
You couldn't run the 500ft yourself?
>>
>>1107919
Yeah that's a good system. I'd say you've a great soakaway soil and a family that doesn't flush wet wipes and makeup removal pads and the like.

As long as their limitations are accepted, septic tanks are flawless. Even that sludge will eventually sort itself out (even corn breaks down eventually!)
>>
Wait, if you can't use bleach and such how do you keep things clean and sanitized? Also can't you flush the toilet paper? What are you supposed to do?
How many years does it take to fill a septic tank with shit if you take a dump a day and you live alone?
How much does a tank cost anyway?
>>
>>1109362

You can use bleach and stuff, just don't put big quantities down the drain or toilet.

The septic tank doesn't just hold the black water (shit & piss & stuff), it decomposes and gradually goes into the leach field, if everything is working properly.

Tank costs are highly variable according to your location.
>>
File: FaygoMagnet.jpg (25KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
FaygoMagnet.jpg
25KB, 640x359px
>>1106481
We dont know how they work, its a miracle
>>
>>1106815
I used to live in a small town, had a friend who lived in a farm house.
It was a quarter mile off of the road that the high school was on.

Couldnt get cable or any high speed internet. Had to have satellite internet (they never got it, far too expensive) so they went with dialup for years. Finally got one of those mobile hot spots and used that for their internet, but it was pretty expensive, capped heavily, and was spotty at best.

There are some great things about living in a small town, but there are some real shit things about it too.
>>
>>1106448
this just gave me a great idea.
looking at OP pic related I thought that if you got a shipping container you might be able to make an underground bunker.
Ive already got a few old pallets
does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?
>>
>>1106721
American ISPs should be 10 times worse then anything in Euro.
>>
>>1109403
There's always a business for small towns to setup microwave wireless internet. Startup costs are pretty reasonable and everyone in town loves you for bringing them internet.

Guaranteed money if you can run a business
>>
Lived in Rural Michigan most my life.
First, wells have a "sweet spot". You shouldn't just drill a well 200 feet and expect the water to be perfect. Only the locals will know the approximate depth for best water. Too shallow and you will have too much organic material in it. Too deep and you will get too much minerals in it (generally).

The width of your well will determine how much water you have available. Artesian wells are rare (wells that never run dry). But a decently deep 3-6" well is usually plenty, unless it's all clay.

Which brings me to mention that clay is a special case. Clay is usually not very deep, but it prevents water from seeping through very well. What you find under clay can be very pure... but not a whole lot of it.

Those big wells - feet in diameter - are generally not dug anymore. Too much organic material falls in and fouls your water.

Depending on how cold it gets in the winter, the water pipe that goes from the well to the house is usually buried deeper than the frost line to prevent the water from freezing. Most pipes will also include a pump and a check valve. The pump can be placed anywhere from inside the well to inside the house.

Wells use the earth to filter the water. Thus, the water quality will greatly depend on your local area. And most of the time, people put their septic system a rational distance from their well.

Before you excavate a septic system, you should do a "perk test". There is no failing a perk test. It just tells you how large an area you need for your ground to effectively filter the sewage.

Hope I helped.
>>
>>1106448
If my property has a private water well, do I have to bring water in manually or does my home automatically draw water in for the toilet, taps etc.?

A pump will supply water at a constant pressure, just like a mains supply. However mains is definitely preferable if you can get it - pump and well maintenance is a huge pain.

>How often does a septic tank need maintenance provided I take care and don't flush grease or tampons and stuff?

Depends how much you shit.

>Will a surveyor be able to tell me if a property's septic drainage field is in good shape?

Don't pay for one. They're incompetent, and it's not hard to guess yourself.

>Also, in rural Ireland how difficult is it to get a good internet connection, and who are the best providers?

Depends on the region. Usually not bad. Many wireless providers. And it's getting way better with fixed LTE.
>>
>>1106460
>water magnets
Good job anon
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.