[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HALP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: styrofoam-material_150728.jpg (71KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
styrofoam-material_150728.jpg
71KB, 400x287px
How best to reduce the bulk of styrofoam waste so it can fit into as few garbage bags as possible that doesn't involve incineration or making napalm?
>>
>>1106203
Cheese grater
>>
>>1106203
Recycle it. They'll make packing peanuts out of it. So it will have a second life pissing off someone else.
>>
>>1106203
Make a thermal cooker with it.
>>
>>1106203
Put it in a large plastic bin
Add gasoline

It will melt into a much more manageable jelly sort of thing. You can then use it to start fires, as it will burn like starter fluid.
>>
>>1106203
spray it with acetone
>>
>>1106203
Feed it to mealworms. Sell worms as bait/food.
>>
>>1106203
carve fursuit heads out of it and sell em on the internet
>>
>>1106235
>doesn't involve incineration or making napalm?
>>
>>1106240
This really works. Recycling is probably the best option though. Get off your lazy ass and take it to the recycling center.
>>
>>1106285
>>1106213
Recycling Centers in Chicago won't take them, styrofoam is marked with a #5, which is the only number they won't take
>>
>>1106299
did you try asking them what to do with it?
>>
>>1106203
You need help with putting Styrofoam in bags?
>>
>>1106299
Scratch off the number.
>>
>>1106208
This would make it much bulkier. Cutting it up and fitting it together would be the best non-chemical method to reduce its size without compression.
>>
>>1106305
Literally lol'd.
>>
>>1106279
Napalm isn't polystyrene and gasoline. Also, you don't dump gallons in, a cupful will dissolve a lot and, if you let it flash off overnight, leaves you with a solid block.
>>
>>1106203
you cant exactly take styrofoam to a recycling center. its far too light for it to be cost effective to the center.
your best bet is to take it to a styrofoam production plant talking to someone there and seeinv if theyd take it.
other wise just shred it and compress it in a bag.

no really a whole lot you can do with it
>>
File: star_butterfly.jpg (628KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
star_butterfly.jpg
628KB, 1080x1080px
>>1106833
>Napalm isn't polystyrene and gasoline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm
Gasoline and gelling agent (most commonly polystyrene) is the most basic recipe for napalm, and is similar to the recipe used in WWII.
>>
>>1106299
No, polystyrene is marked with 6. Polypropylene is marked with 5.

That said, a lot of municipal centers won't take it. Find a local company that will, but is not associated with the municipal recycling system. Literally 3 minutes of googling found this:

https://www.dartcontainer.com/environment/ps-foam-recycling/

which shows a center near I55 that should accept Styrofoam.
>>
>>1106842
>gelling agent (most commonly polystyrene)

Polystyrene has never been used as a gelling agent in napalm.
>>
https://youtu.be/drM_9Bq612M
>>
https://youtu.be/HPdobEHMmjU
>>
>>1106203
https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-Wire-Foam-Cutter/dp/B0006KSMEU
>>
File: 20161231_013236.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161231_013236.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I could throw that straight into this big ass machine if you weren't 500 miles away.
>>
>>1106865
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/napalm.htm
Modern napalm is 46% polystyrene.
>>
Put it in a bin with some acetone. The acetone will evaporate and you'll be left with a plastic goo that you could flush, of bomb Vietnam with
>>
>>1106203
Freecycle it.
There is always some anon looking for stuff to insulate their buried shipping container.
>>
>>1106203

Just moved, new appliances, had a ton of that shit foam, went to the landfill they wanted to charge me extra for it being foam and a full pickup load, $42.50, fuck that
Put a sheet over that shit and waited until 3am, took the sheet off and put the tailgate down, drove really fast between two freeway exits, got off to get some gas, shit, the bed was empty, whoops, somehow a piece of cardboard had fallen and covered up my plates, whoops.
>>
The napalm method works very well. I lost count of how many polystyrene foam sheets we put in a mason jar of acetone when we got bored at work.

Jelly the shit then let the acetone evaporate. Dispose of the small, inert block in the container you used to dissolve the styrene.
>>
File: IMG_3341.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3341.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
PROTIP: Styrofoam is 95% air by volume. Pass something hot over it, like a Drill Master™ heat gun and it will shrink dramatically. You can find this and other quality tools at your local Harbor Freight Tools™.
>>
>>1106865
How does it feel to be so wrong?
>>
>>1106203
put a shitload of it in your truck bed then go as fast you can down a country road

repeat as necessary
>>
>>1107152
>labeled drill master
>is actually a heat gun

???
>>
I raise mealworms for my chickens.

Those little bastards love that polystyrene shit.
>>
>>1107173
chinks dont know how to name things
>>
>>1107173
You are supposed to use it to heat your drill bits up before you use them. Cuts like a hot knife
>>
Making napalm is probably your best option, actually. Dissolve it all in a container of gasoline, then leave it out for the gas to evaporate. You're left with dense, solid plastic that takes up much less space.
>>
>>1106203
I usually end up cutting it into planks if I get a bunch of it. Make as many blocks and boards as possible. I don't know if it exactly saves space, but it does stack much better.
>>
>>1106203
Melt it with acetone senpai.
>>
>>1106203
Just make napalm, you know you want to.
>>
>>1106203
there's a kind of bug that digests styrofoam and produces apparently nutritious shit for plants, forgot the name of the species though
>>
>>1107994
Mealworms. Posted already in this thread you fucking putz
>>
>>1108002
Having this knowledge. Also knowing how hard it is to recycle. Also knowing fertiliser sells for money.

Not having a mealworm polystyrene fertiliser plant making bucks.
>>
>>1106203

Bleach
>>
I took a truck load to the dumpster of a neighboring apartment complex. Maintenance guy gave me a dirty look. I gave him the finger. Continued tossing my shit into their dumpster.
>>
>>1106888
Neat
>>
>>1106203
>that doesn't involve incineration
Fuck you. You already know the answer. Just incinerate it already.
>>
>>1106299
>>1106300

Recycling center in chicago here, throw it out.

You are fucked there is no way to compress it. My uncle flips out whenever he sees it and charge pain in the ass fees. It takes up space in loads has no weight just a pain in the ass in general and its one of those things that might be worth recycling but there is not enough money in it for anyone to actually do it.
>>
>>1107152

How hot does it have to get? Does it produce any fumes? Might actually use this info. Im not OP and would be doing a larger volume at once.

Could probably use a used oil burning heater and pump as much heat as possible into a small shack full or it or a garage sized area.
>>
>>1109214
>>1107152

Also does it become more likely to release toxins or anything after the heat? The dump might get pissed if I start doing this.
>>
Cut it into little pieces and flush it.
>>
Gasoline
>>
>>1109217
Don't worry, you filter all the toxins through your lungs.
>>
File: 1483659154253.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1483659154253.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>1106305
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.