[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who runs their own business on here? Freelancers are welcome.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 7

File: 950.jpg (34KB, 316x480px) Image search: [Google]
950.jpg
34KB, 316x480px
Who runs their own business on here? Freelancers are welcome.

Let's hear--tell us what you do and generally how much you make in profit a year. DON'T BE SHY.
>>
>>1106163
Be have a Biz board you stupid fuckwit. Go bother them with your retarded bullshit.
>>
>>1106167
Don't be a cunt.
>>
>>1106163
I own and operate web design company, i make 2 thousand dollars a month not a lot but i generally work for five days out of the month
>>
>>1107427
>i generally work for five days out of the month
NICE.
I hope you are following your passions while you are not working.
>>
>>1106163
I sell propane and propane accessories. I make about tree-fiddy.
>>
>>1106163
just went from running my own business to working for a big company.

the problem with running a small business is that you have to do a lot of different things. likely things you are not trained to do. it becomes overwhelming to be your own sales team, accountant, IT department, coordinator, and worker. and it takes a lot to get into the position to hire people to do all those things for you.
>>
>>1106163
I have a one-person company. Haven't gotten the figures from my accountant yet, the year just changed.
I have a turnover (if that is the correct term for "all money that comes in the company") of I believe around 25000€. To make it something to live on I'd need a turnover of 50-60k. But it is my first year running a company.
I photograph (underwater photos)
In the summer I work as a field biologist (research diver)
I bought an excavator with company money to be used at my build site. Need to generate enough income with that so that the tax man don't get too suspicious.

And also all kinds of other shit.
I don't work that much and I don't need much money so this lifestyle fits me but >>1107961
is right. You need to do a LOT yourself. Get peer support if you decide to be self-employed. To have somebody who is also running a company themself to talk to is important, much more than you think!

It's not for everybody, but surely can be rewarding!
>>
Do side jobs (ironically for people who own galleries) and Moonlight as an artist. Usually around 10-15k a year.

I don't keep any expense records. Just claim what I make. IRS hasn't given me any trouble since I told em I only charge for labor. I make the homeowner buy the materials. I'll eat the "cost" on nails,glue and whatever. It's around $50 a job anyways. And I don't do anything that's under $300 a job anyways.

>hey anon I need a door knob installed
Fuck off.

I usually "work" around 60 hours a week between full time day job, side jobs and making art. Yeah it gets old but if I don't keep busy I'd probably be playing video games more than I already do.

Plus being forever alone helps.
>>
>>1107427
2k before or after taxes? I only bring in 3300 (after tax) a month and I work like 50 hours weeks as a junior software developer. It's enough to live comfortably where I live but it's kind shitty working longer weeks
>>
>>1106163
I own and operate a state liscenced marijuana farm in Oregon.
Last year I cleared 70k this year I have expanded and am on track to more than double
>>
I run a one-man bike shop. I usually put in about 72 hours a week, and make about $1400/week for myself.

I'm going to move to mostly internet sales this year, and repairs for brick-and-mortar business. New Bike sales were very poor the last year and a half.

In the wintertime I tune skis and adjust ski bindings.

>captcha was storefronts
>>
Used to be freelance.
It fucking sucked.
>>
I drive a taxi in a poor part of Europe.

For the three months of peak season, I make €3000 a month.
The rest its €1800 to €1200.

Not including tips, which I spend on food and coffee.

Fuel costs generally amount to 25% of earnings.

I paid €15,000 for the car, and €5 a day for insurance, road tax, and permits.

And another € 1,000 a year for parts. I try to do my own repairs and maintenance.

Basically I take home around €10,000 a year.
>>
I produce a small electronic widget. Make around $1.5k per month - not much, but I spend very little time on it. Also I do freelance electronics design for $50/h that's shitloads of money in eastern Europe.
>>
>>1109624
wagies gonna wage.
>>
>>1106163
Used to. Got tired of all the paperwork, bullshit, and government rules. A much bigger company gave me an offer that made my decision easy. So I sold.

Now I'm comfortably retired.

Might start freelancing, but first I'm going to get back into the woodworking hobby I loved but never had time for..
>>
>>1109154
Can I work for you??
>>
I own a cleaning franchise. Only do large commercial facilities. I have four crews and employ 18 people and my take home after taxes is 122k, I could take more but rather keep it in my companies coffers to avoid income tax.
>>
>>1109154
i have some money saved up, and think marijuana industry is a good investment. do you know how I would do that?
>>
>>1111518
I've been considering starting a cleaning service.
But I don't know the first thing about sales or bidding for jobs.
>>
>>1111579
do you live in a state where its legal? if so, find a grower and volunteer to help him trim. explain you want to learn about the industry and pick his brain.
>>
>>1110715

This is my goal

I love furniture crafting, but would want money to be stable from a previous venture before doing it, as it takes a while to get good

thanks for the inspiration
>>
>>1107427

I am on the developor side of the web design business. I make about half that and work about double. Tips?
>>
>>1111518

Do you have family members?

Hire them and pay them

they get into a lower tax bracket

this is why you may want to have kids
>>
>>1107961
Same here, ended up scoring a decent job and went back to employment
>>
>>1106163
I own three full service garages. I keep everyone in line, and make sure everyone is happy and taken care of. Short of that I have people to handle everything else, financial, management, inventory, what have you. After all is said and done, I net between 1.5 and 2 million a year. And the tire distribution companies send me and my wife on a no holds barred vacation once per year. Overall I am pretty happy, and business gets better every year for the last 21 years.
>>
Sailing instructor when geology is down, geologist when oil and gas / gold is up. Make good money at sailing as I'm quite senior but it's only for the summer months. Make ok money as a geo but it's so damn flakey. Considering a move to the Caribbean to drive a rich persons yacht - Ive heard rookies get about 10 grand a month, tax free.

>>1107968
Who buys underwater photos for that much?
>>
>>1111728
>Sailing instructor
do you know where i could get my hands on some plans (without paying $$) for a 33' chris craft cabin cruiser?
>>
>>1111730
I know the pirate bay has shit loads of books on boat building and boat design. Also plans for boats. Maybe start there with a canoe!

I'm sure if you googled long enough you'd eventually find them on some obscure Russian site somewhere, but I don't think I have them...
>>
File: mytorrentfuisweak.png (56KB, 681x460px) Image search: [Google]
mytorrentfuisweak.png
56KB, 681x460px
>>1111731
>I know the pirate bay has shit loads of books on boat building and boat design.
i must be retarded because i couldn't find any.
>>
>>1111728
Who buys photos at all?

If he's shooting first, and selling them om stock sites the money is terrible.

But if he's doing it on assignment for a publication, the day rate in Western Europe is around €200 plus expenses. Maybe more because its underwater.

If its commercial work then who knows.
Could be into the tens of thousands depending on the job and equipment.
>>
I sell shit on eBay, both from imports and from the local swap flea market. I did it throughout college. I used to go to my morning classes with huge piles of boxes on some day to drop off at the on-campus postal office after class. Some students thought I was a drug dealer lol.
>>
I'm running a startup jewelry company, got a site and business cards, been making sales over the winter, and am in the middle of getting my business license and trademarking and all that

Make all my work from stock sheet and wire sterling silver, if I make as much as I did last month as I do every month, I stand to make $3,000/yr. By no means is that livable, but I'm hoping I can grow it until I can quit my day job
>>
>>1111721
Goddamn nice job bro
Interested in both being an entrepreneur and working on cars. Any tips that might be had?
>>
>>1111743
Oh. I can't remember what search I used so. Often I just trawl the sites for nautical and geology books so I guess they could be anywhere.

I'll put together a Dropbox or mega for you in a few days if I remember. Just let me know you're still here

>>1111755
Never thought about commercial, that'd pay insanely well
>>
>>1112133
Go to /o/ and learn about used car dealerships. That's the way to make money. Learn how to buy at auction, and try to get a job at a used car lot because you can't really learn how to sell and arrange payment from the internet.

The gent I worked for didn't "finance". The vehicles sold for X amount of dollars and he took payments over time. That way there's no gain from early payoff, and he got paid "interest" as principle. There is a LOT to learn.
>>
>>1112133
If you want to make money, stop thinking about working on cars.
Do it in your spare time, not as a job.

Unless you have some good skills and even better friends.
In that case start a custom shop and build it into a brand.

Used cars are are good business. But it takes money to make money. You won't get rich flipping a car every month.

A buy here pay here lot is a good way make big profits.
>>
>>1111743
Demonoid was historically better for books. Not sure what kind of state it's in since it was relaunched though.
>>
>>1112391
I used to find lots of great books on places like avaxhome.
Demonoid had lots of interesting original content.
>>
I run a small computer repair business out of my apartment for the local college students. I only do it on the weekend since I'm working another job to gain managerial experience at the local food processing plant. But my business brings me in 13000 before taxes. For basically just removing adware and viruses.
>>
>>1112374
>Go to /o/ and learn about used car dealerships. That's the way to make money.

if you want to make your living profiting off the misery and stupidity of others.
>>
>>1112484
Did you hit post prematurely or something?

I've been waiting here for an hour hoping you'll tell us what the business that profits off stupid and miserable people is. Just fuckin say it.
>>
>>1112484
>if you want to make your living profiting off the misery and stupidity of others.

He didnt say become a preacher.
You are providing a service to someone. No matter how diy and jack of all trades people like to be, there is always some sectors where you are better off paying someone else for a service.

There are plenty of people who want the convenience of walking onto a used car lot and being sold a car.
>>
>>1112595
This.

Car dealerships provide a service. People can either pay to make use of it, or buy a car from a private seller.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy from a dealer.
Dealers are not the only choice.

If you think dealers are exploiting you by charging too much for used cars, go buy a car off of craigslist instead

If you think you're not getting your money's worth in a trade in, then sell your car privately on craigslist.

Is a dealer exploiting you by charging high interest rates on payments?
Buy a car you can actually afford.

Any type of vehicle you might need can be bought for $2000 or less.
Be it a truck, minivan, luxury sedan, or a shitbox for getting to work.
>>
>>1112133
Poster you replied to here. I don't really think there's anything special I did. I grew up working on cars with my dad because we were poor, so I had that skill. Other family members owned a business that I worked at for extra money to help my parents, and they really helped teach me how to run one, and not into the ground. The same people helped me rent a two bay garage, got me a nice set of tools and equipment, and a few other things. I convinced a friend of mine to give up his job at the local Chevy dealer and come work for me, and we both worked together on everything. I treated people right without giving things away. After two years of that we both had enough money, and I'd paid my family back, so we moved to a six bay garage. I hired enough mechanics to have a man in every bay, and for the most part I moved to just running the office. About ten years later one of my competitors was giving up the business and offered to sell me his building. Two million dollars later I had a second location with 12 bays. Half of those dedicated to oil and tire changes, the other half minus one are hard line work. One is for big trucks/busses. I hired guys to fill every position, and let my wife run it for me mostly, but everything goes through me. I've already kept it at the front of everything, take care of the god damn customer. And this was a bigger issue at the beginning but, pay literally everyone else before I pay myself. The third location is a small shop in the next town over, a much smaller town, but it does great for its size, I have a good friend from high school that runs the front for me, and five mechanics there. Don't know how helpful that is, but it's my story. If you need to learn to wrench, get of 4chan and go do it. If you don't have anything going on currently, get a job at a junk yard pulling parts. They'll hire fucking anybody unlike garages, and you'll learn what a lot of shit is and how it integrates with other parts.
>>
>>1112644
Was over character limit.

You can use that experience to get a job at a garage and learn how to figure out what's wrong. Find someone that can teach you business, or go to school for it. That's about it.
>>
>>1112645
You're my Hero-of-the-Week. No homo
>>
>>1112682
Glad to help, anon. If you want to toss out a throwaway email, we can keep in touch and I can answer anymore questions you might come up with.
>>
>>1112644
>>1112645
I'm going to ask you my two favorite questions.

Did you have a set goal in mind to expand to where you are now, or did you wait until opportunity presented itself?

Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently?
>>
>>1111728
>>1111730
I sell my underwater photos to the underwater models. I have several baby swimming scools/instructors as my affiliates. I arrange a underwater photography session twice a year and I shoot everyone that wants to be shot (usually everyone). At the moment I have 14 days a year shooting and the rest is photo editing and office work. A baby swimming group is 30 min and there are 3-7 groups per day, 1-12 customers per group. The average is somewhere around eight or nine per group.

Underwater photography is a niche market because of the specialty skill and gear needed so there is a severe lack of competition.
Funny thing is that it didn't take so long to master the skill of underwater photography. To get my whole photography experience starting from the photography session to the delivery (and possible return) of photos to this point where I feel that the customer is satisfied has taken five years as a part time photographer. And I believe there is more to learn.
As with many businesses the hands-on work isn't the thing that you do most, it's all the stuff you do in the background that the customer doesn't notice.
>>
>>1111642
Over here where I live (scandinavia) there are associations for entrepreneurs. They offer cheap, and sometimes free, lectures and such for stuff like this.

Also I suggest every entrepreneur to aquire a social network of some that consists of entrepreneurs and preferably in your own field. The importance of peer support can't be underestimated especially when you begin your career. Often you can also help each other, in the small business world try to keep up the "I scratch your back you scratch mine" - spirit. It's good for the both of you!
>>
>>1112839
I'll go second first. The only thing I'd imagine doing different would be letting my friend partner when he asked (the one that left the dealership to work for be).

And I only had one specific goal; I was going to make it in my own. I assumed that running a garage would keep me fed and clothed. But it worked out better than expected. I really didn't know I was filling a gap that people wanted. Everyone in town was either robbing people, or doing shit work. I stuck to doing dealer+ work, at a reasonable amount less (scaling right along with dealers) and people just came back.
>>
>>1111769
How much money did you get while in college?
>>
>>1113239
I assume you bought out your friend or separated in some way.
Did the partnership with your friend partner sour at one point?
Or did you go separate because your ideas for the business too different?

Would you believe I've asked this question to a successful entrepreneur many times and the answer is always similar?
Nobody says they started out with the intention of growing their business to its current state.
The dream is always one shop or one restaurant, or a small husband wife business.
Then things eventually grow from there.

The only exception has been from second or third generation owners of the same business who either want to affect radical change or turn the business into a brand.
>>
>>1113239
>I stuck to doing dealer+ work, at a reasonable amount less (scaling right along with dealers) and people just came back.

Confirmed for the smart way to go. If you have storage, collecting vehicles for parts and eventual scrapping when prices rise can work nicely. Save the catalytic converters where they won't get stolen. If you get a dealer license or have a dealerbro who will let you buy at auction when he goes that can be very nice.
>>
>>1114585
Is it even worth it though?
You have to catalogue all the parts, and have someone on guard all day so nothing gets stolen.

And another guy or two pull the parts. Otherwise you're taking a mechanic and bay out of commission.

With the labor and storage costs involved, you're not saving the client and yourself any money with second hand parts.
>>
>>1114581
Pretty simple really, he suggested becoming partners, I told him I didn't think it was a good idea. He brought it up a few more times but I was being greedy and selfish, and flat out refused. We ended up having it out while drinking and I told him if he wanted to be a business owner he should start his own like I did. Yes I said it just like that, ignoring everything he'd done to help me get where I am. Guess what he did? He started his own garage. He started all over in a two bay with one of my other guys. I lost a great friend over this, and it kills me to know that he can't maintain the lifestyle he was used to. If I could do it again I'd agree without question. But drunk rant is over for now.
>>
>>1114917

Get over your pride and ask him to join you?
>>
>>1115841
I've tried that plenty of times, it wasn't even about pride, I knew I fucked up. He has no interest in even speaking to me anymore. Hell, he even sits and talks shit about me to his buddies when we're at the same bar. I always send them over a bottle of patron or two depending how many there are. At this point he probably just does it for the free booze.
>>
>>1116058
He's obviously bitter and resentful that he had to start over.

And for him it was probably more difficult because he didn't have a friend he could trust the second time round, and there was already another established competitor in town (you)

You're way past the point of partnering up now.
You've done your thing for 20 years and he's done his.
Maybe its a good thing for your business that you went your separate ways.

I've had a few alright business partners, but much more terrible ones.
The worst being my own family (Father and younger Brother.)
>>
I own a furniture and design store in China, selling European decent furniture 1800-1960s.

I repair, ship, storage, write articles, meet media. My chinese partner do sales. I make around 3000$ per month but it is growing.

I have a truck that i do repairs on myself if possible. Its an extremely slim organisation here (just me, a truck and a container) , but larger in China.
>>
>>1107968
What size a hoe nigga? There os money to be made.
>>
>>1111518
Your wording is tax fraud. Just fyi.

Use vague shit like "fits my tax plan."

Fucking irs...
>>
>>1111728
My man. How much would it cost me to have my land tested for oil / limestone? 5 acres and maybe more buying. Have desire to start small shitty quarry and pumps much oil out as god put there.

Or do i just blow 120k and poke a hole while shitting my pants and crossing fingers?

SE kansas is geography matters. You cant throw a rock without hitting a pumpjack. Or a rock quarry. Im sitting in one now.
>>
>>1111770
Probably. If u apprentice with a pro and go full legit.

Most of is are goddamned clueless and buy overprice shit at the mall.
>>
>>1112133
Used to work in a garage.

Damn good insurance in case u fuck shit up.

Also find some way of keeping mutherfuckers away from u so u can work
>>
>>1112383
The only way to make good money without owning the shoo is to specialize.

Like be a tranny guy
>>
>>1117178
>The only way to make good money without owning the shoo is to specialize.
Thats good advice for every field.
>>
>>1117174
Tax avoidance is not tax evasion. It's a valid strategy. You should just be considerate of how to go about moving that money into a better place or how to roll it over with the least tax burden when deciding to retire or sell the business.
>>
>>1112383
>A buy here pay here lot is a good way make big profits.

Yes it is. Don't "finance" either. Instead divide repayment into monthly amounts with no interest. That way the customer owes the same amount and cannot get over by early payoff, but most important is less paperwork and legal hassles compared to charging interest.
>>
>>1112484
>if you want to make your living profiting off the misery and stupidity of others.

You sound like a little bitch. People need used cars and not all used car dealers are evil. It's not their fault if a customer insists on a Cadillac when a Kia will do. Have you some fundamental objection to the sale of used vehicles? If so, buy new and fuck off.

Dealerships are the only practical way for people who don't have the cash to buy outright to purchase vehicles. The dealer I worked for had multiple generations of extended families come to him for cars and trucks because he was reasonable. He even told them to return the vehicle if they couldn't make payments and he'd work something out when they needed one in future. Because of that custom we didn't have to repo many cars. He retired a wealthy man and when we shut down our customers expressed regret.
>>
>>1112644
>If you don't have anything going on currently, get a job at a junk yard pulling parts. They'll hire fucking anybody unlike garages, and you'll learn what a lot of shit is and how it integrates with other parts.

This. I did a lot of parts pulling for my bros shop, and helped build vehicles using good salvage parts. (I prefer salvage for myself because I can pull nice sheet metal already painted.) When you build from salvage you learn there's more interchange than what a Hollander manual indicates. It's priceless experience.
>>
>>1114841
>Is it even worth it though?
>You have to catalogue all the parts, and have someone on guard all day so nothing gets stolen.
>And another guy or two pull the parts. Otherwise you're taking a mechanic and bay out of commission.
>With the labor and storage costs involved, you're not saving the client and yourself any money with second hand parts.

It works fine if you don't get silly. Wise operators leave vehicles assembled for storage and unless you live in tweakerland you don't need a guard. We operated off Bluff Road in Columbia, SC which is not a good neighborhood but what little theft occurred was no big deal compared to tasty profit. There's no storage cost to dropping 'em in a field next to the shop.

Workflow was mostly buying at auction and privately, using organ donors to fix auction vehicles, then selling them. We were NOT an official salvage because that's a fuckton of paperwork. Instead we'd build and sell our stock like any other used car lot while accumulating donors. We had towing company buddies who'd sell us their accumulations or trade for something they could use.

When we hit the magic hundred hulk mark we called in the portable crusher to pay us to clean out the lot after it was well raped. Before calling the crusher we called the catalytic converter buyer. They show up with Sawzalls and jacks, harvest the cats and pay in cash. No work on our part.

The only time a donor hit a bay was to give life to something we later sold. We'd swap complete interiors, front clips, drivetrains, whatever. We didn't hire anyone extra or need to. We had three people max including the boss and were all multirole, handling whatever was needed. It was pretty easy and interesting.

The used car ballet is complex and interesting. For example we got cheap delivery rates from rollback owners because they need steady business to pay their drivers. They make big on towing and recovery, but not much on transport.
>>
contract cleaning company
~93k a year not including side jobs from council.

3 hours mon-thur, 8 hours sat

plenty of time to hone my crafts, just picked up the guitar.
>>
>>1111721
Does that mean you make 1.5-2 million a year?
I don't know how business work, how much do you personally make?
>>
>>1119281
Yes, that is how much money I take home each year for myself. After all expenses, and leaving money in the business account, that's what I pay myself.
>>
>>1119287
That's a lot.
>>
>>1111728
What kind of degree do you have for you're geology?

I'm planing to freelance jobs once I get my Batchelors maybe masters and do my own research/cataloging on the side.

As much as I love research I'm absolutely tired of academia and the buurocracy behind it.
>>
>>1107968
What kind of degree you got man?
>>
File: shower.jpg (44KB, 550x734px) Image search: [Google]
shower.jpg
44KB, 550x734px
Tile guy. I post on /biz/ pretty regularly.

I work alone and make about $50k/$60k a year. I only work 2 or 3 days a week though.

I enjoy it, I'd say my only hangup is the customers, sometimes they can be insane and sometimes they can request stuff that's not my fault.

Insane Examples
> This tile is 1mm off I want it redone
> This grout color is slightly not what I wanted
> I thought xyz is included? (my estimates are extremely specific, and in spite of this people still try to trick me into doing free work)

Request Examples
> Guy called me today because his shower has a leak, and I'm the one who worked on it last. Well it has a leak cause there's a big fucking crack in the wall. I only tiled the floor. He wants me to fix it for free.
> Customer calls me telling me her shower smells. I'm the one who tiled her showed. Um lady there's nothing in tile or grout that could create an odor, your sewage system is fucked and the odor is coming through the pipes.

Really if it weren't for insane people it would be the easiest fucking job ever. And sadly I have to raise my prices to reflect the extra bullshit that nutcases will put me through. So reasonable people end up paying more because I have to assume that they are all not reasonable people at the onset.

Thanks Obama.
>>
>>1119297
> This tile is 1mm off I want it redone
Back in the day people had standards.
>>
>>1116533
>selling European antique furniture in China
Sounds like a great business idea with lots of growth potential.
If you're looking for another partner with business experience, I'm interested. Doesn't have to be equal.

I know this is unsolicited advice based your nothing but your post but I'm giving it anyway.

You need to start thinking about expanding operations on the European side.
Doing everything yourself may seem like its saving you money, but in reality its keeping you from directing your business.
Soon you will hit a plateau with the amount of things you can do yourself, and you will neglect managing the business, because seemingly urgent physical labor tasks will take priority.

Meanwhile the Chinese side is seeing growth and waiting for you to step up.
If you lag behind, whats stopping them from dissolving the partnership and finding someone else?

Every moment you're driving the truck or cleaning a piece, or is one that could be spent on expanding your business.

Start to think like a business owner, instead of an employee of your own company.

You may also want to think about relocating furher west if you live in the east.
The most desirable furniture is obviously French and English, and the busiest port is Rotterdam so somewhere in that area would be ideal.

You may think I'm getting ahead of myself, but know that when these things hit their stride they move fast.
You have to be one step ahead.
>>
>>1112610
Second.

For even 1000 if you are not rushing and doing your research well. Also possessing haggle skills save tons of money when buying from a private party.

Sadly people are so egoistic in general they pour tons of hard earned cash into means of transportation "because it looks great".
>>
I own a tabletop gaming shop(card games like Magic, board games, miniatures, etc). I only clear about $10,000 a year after taxes because I pay my employees too well, but it's more about having something to do with my time that I enjoy than it is about making a living since I live on my investment income.
>>
>>1120451
What state
>>
>>1120451
I like people like you
no homo
>>
>>1120451
Whats going to happen in the future when you get tired of not making any profit?
Will you shut down the store and put those people out of a job?
>>
>>1112860
Where I'm from jealousy is the primary motivator in small businesses.

Being honest and helping others succeed or doing them favors never pays off.
If you can't do a job, and sub it to someone else, expect them to try and steal your client instead of paying you back.
You are literally handing them a knife and asking to get stabbed.

People try to fuck each other over constantly like the proverbial crabs in a bucket.
They fight amongst eachother for the same old jobs instead of looking for new ones.
This creates a highly saturated and toxic environment where businesses are afraid to take risks and pioneer in new areas, because others get jealous of their succes and underbid them for contracts until the market is no longer profitable and the pioneer business folds.

I know of small business that have been operating at a loss for over a decade.
They refuse to change out of spite, so their enemies won't benefit from their vaccum.

Which is why I'm looking for greener pastures.
Somewhere I hopefully won't have to deal with constant and perpetual disonesty and where I can do business without paranoia of my colleagues stabbing me in the back.

I'll actually driving around Scandinavia this Spring/Summer, and if the business climate is right thats where I'll settle.
I'll be looking at other business opportunities, but cleaning is what I'm leaning towards.
>>
>>1121939
He doesn't owe them shit. If they want job security they should work harder and make him some more money.
>>
>>1124221
Being a baiting faggot belongs on b. But since that's all you know, kill yourself.
>>
>>1124223
Nobody owes you a job, lad.
>>
>>1124224
That's not anywhere near the point of what I said. You'd know that if you weren't a cross posting retard that doesn't understand this board isn't for your b bullshit.
>>
>>1107419
Reddit fag incoming
>>
>>1124221
Don't be autism.

You're right, he doesn't owe them shit - yet he pays them well enough to leave no profit for himself.
So he obviously cares about his employees.
>>
>>1106163
I own a low voltage electrical company. 5 years in. Company pulled in 300k last year. I saw 60k of it and I would have gotten 30k more if not for reinvesting into the company. Also paid an employee 24k or so. Commercial fire alarm and security alarm mostly. Yeah wearing all the hats sucks, but it'll pay off in a few more years.
>>
File: 1472027398108.jpg (94KB, 818x588px) Image search: [Google]
1472027398108.jpg
94KB, 818x588px
>>1109154
try opening a supply shop, theyre few and far between
>>
File: 1473877933216.jpg (114KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
1473877933216.jpg
114KB, 940x940px
>>1111579
plant in fox farm ocean forest (reallyy accessible nationwide), feed with guano once a week five weeks in. harvest when trichromes start looking brown
>>
>>1124265
So whats next?
Monitoring seems like a logical step for someone who installs alarms.
>>
>>1111743
Use search terms like plywood, epoxy, west system, strip cedar, strip plank, plans, dinghy, canoe, catamaran and so on. Google for the book titles then put them into demonoid and pb and any other torrent sites you can find.
>>
>>1124355
We middle man for a monitoring company. The amount of redundancies required for a monitoring Co is insane. That place is ready for the apocalypse. Millions of dollars of equipment I'm sure. I'll stick to getting larger and larger installs and service contracts.
>>
>>1112644
>And this was a bigger issue at the beginning but, pay literally everyone else before I pay myself.
Well yeah, you're required to by law.
>>
>>1124409
Maybe I used the incorrect term.

I meant monitoring as in that call center thing that calls the key holder or notifies the police/fire service when an alarm is tripped.

Not the one with a wall of monitors.

I don't think it would be too costly to setup. And you can even give residential clients a pay monthly package deal where they pay off their alarm installation and get the monitoring for just $65 a month. If $15 of that go towards monitoring and you get 500 clients that's 90,000
>>
>>1112852
where do you live scuba steve?
>>
>>1124764
That doesn't stop a lot of small business owners from spending the money coming in, before paying their bills. I've seen many people do this, end up losing everything, and in terrible debt.
>>
File: Cross.jpg (276KB, 688x922px) Image search: [Google]
Cross.jpg
276KB, 688x922px
I mostly blacksmith. It's pretty fun, the customers are pretty laid back, and I'm never making exactly the same thing twice.

Pic related, only photo I have on hand.
>>
I'm a freelance translator who started full-timing 6 months ago (didn't start translating 6 months ago tho). I make about €800/mo on average which is not bad at all for where I live, and I know enough to know the figure's going to grow.
Most of the time you're not working you're actively marketing yourself/your company. Gotta hunt for your food, which is alright by me.

I'm pretty satisfied I can make a living out of my job and on my own. I can survive decently and I'm very proud of the quality of my work.
>>
>>1127148
Don't they have grocery stores, or local markets where you are?
>>
I'm a class 3 gun dealer on the side.

Thinking of giving it up - definitely over saturated and can't find my niche.
>>
>>1106163
Im a painter and decorator.
can plaster too but dont get that much work for plastering.

earn about 120 a day but I dont work every day and sometimes go through dry patches.

I build dolls houses on the side and hope to do this full time if it takes off.

little one room boxes can sell for thousands of pounds so hopefully that will be more lucrative and less painting things fucking white
>>
>>1127595
£120 a day doesn't sound like much, considering one person working a brisk pace can paint several rooms a day.
>>
>>1127706
its not that much but I live in London and am competing with Romania and Poland now too.
I quote low to guarantee the work.

fucking globalism getting me down bro
>>
>>1106163
i rent out servers, by the room-fulls
5-7 mill a year
all goes back to maintenance and upgrades, still very poor
>>
>>1127990
Yeah hope your doll houses take off man. Ain't no point doing menial tasks for peanuts these days when cheap labour is easy to come by. I'm afraid I'd always rent a Polish fella because of my experience with them being great and my experience with Brits being mediocre or awful. Real hit or miss with locals.

Time to upskill. Hey one area I thought would be good is boats. Read up on how to strip, prime and paint boats, print off some laminated fliers and leave them in every boat in a marina.

I bet there's people wanting it done for them
>>
>>1128237
thanks mate.
Polish builders are very skilled indeed but a monkey could paint a house so its annoying that they have nicked all the trade there too.
I was happy with being a decorator but not like this, london is fast becoming a shithole.
(can you tell him here from /pol yet?)
Definitely time to upskil.
the boats is a nice idea but not very popular due to my location.
I always wanted to build a boat from scratch like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuoy1dGOxFI
>>
>>1128426
>can you tell him here from /pol yet?
Not him, but what difference does it make? /pol/ or not, everyone with a brain knows they work well but that only puts them one step above niggers. Imagine living with them
>>
>>1128428
Im more concerned about kebab sector 9
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.